Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The real question is when will Mallozzi's usual inability to write women characters kick in.....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The real question is when will Mallozzi's usual inability to write women characters kick in.....

Perhaps by accident, he did get Two right. I have not seen any female character like Two in any of his series. Perhaps the actress has more input on her than Mallozzi?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Or, maybe the production company has a special shadow writer for all women characters attached....:icon10:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This season, Android is AWESOME. I think the actress playing her has come a very long way since season 1, and also putting Six in stasis was a nice twist, as was adding the prison Medic to the crew (they needed a Doctor/Medic/Healer). The only hokey part in this episode was the dumb sword fight which, thankfully, did not last very long. Those swords and the whole Space Yakuza thing is just not working for me.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Or, maybe the production company has a special shadow writer for all women characters attached....:icon10:

The dumb overdone Corporate chick is miscast, bimbo-like and cartoonish. This woman:

vlcsnap-2016-07-13-00h32m19s47.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That's why I was a bit surprised when I saw "written by Joe Mallozzi" on the credits for Kill Them All, episode #2 of the second season. It was actually a pretty good episode. So it got me wondering what the hell happened with SGU. I guess Brad Wright must have been sitting on Mallozzi's neck because what else could explain the difference in quality between these productions?
No pre-established canon?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nope. Clean slate...worth watching. :)

Plus unlike SGU there's movement to DM. The story may not be the greatest but at least stuff happens other than interpersonal melodrama.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The dumb overdone Corporate chick is miscast, bimbo-like and cartoonish. This woman:

View attachment 33110

I get what you're saying and I hope this doesn't turn out to be a stupid story line. I also hope they don't bring back "pretty boy". His story line is a total dead end and simply boring. He has all the appeal of vanilla ice cream melting in the sink.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I get what you're saying and I hope this doesn't turn out to be a stupid story line. I also hope they don't bring back "pretty boy". His story line is a total dead end and simply boring. He has all the appeal of vanilla ice cream melting in the sink.

Anybody notice how much he looks like a younger Joe Mallozzi? His part would have been written for Joe Flanigan once upon a time, I bet....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Didn't have a chance to comment on last weeks episode. Not the greatest story from what I recall and a bit annoying with the memory loss gimmick, but not altogether horrible. The story needs to keep moving, most especially by getting rid of Mike "Concave Chest" Dopud. If I want to spend an hour every Friday night staring at the cadaverous face of a crusty old turd whose best days are behind him I'll turn on FOX news, thank you very much.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't have a chance to comment on last weeks episode. Not the greatest story from what I recall and a bit annoying with the memory loss gimmick, but not altogether horrible. The story needs to keep moving, most especially by getting rid of Mike "Concave Chest" Dopud. If I want to spend an hour every Friday night staring at the cadaverous face of a crusty old turd whose best days are behind him I'll turn on FOX news, thank you very much.

His (Dopud) character did not add anything to the story. They took a role more suited to an extra, and made it into a character.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay episode last night. A bit derivative in places but that's not surprising considering the people running the show. (Android getting a human emotion chip not unlike Data from ST:NG.) Glad they got rid of Mike Dupod. Hot Asian guy is looking flabby and tired. The whole Yakuza/Ninja warrior thing with him is getting rather lame now. Perhaps it was the directing and editing of his training scene with the new chick but it lacked excitement and tension. The choreography was slow and plodding and predictable. The new chick was good but the Asian dude just seemed to be phoning in his performance.

Also, Five picking the pocket of Dupod was beyond obvious. Did the writers actually expect us to be surprised by that tired old gimmick? :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay episode last night. A bit derivative in places but that's not surprising considering the people running the show. (Android getting a human emotion chip not unlike Data from ST:NG.) Glad they got rid of Mike Dupod. Hot Asian guy is looking flabby and tired. The whole Yakuza/Ninja warrior thing with him is getting rather lame now. Perhaps it was the directing and editing of his training scene with the new chick but it lacked excitement and tension. The choreography was slow and plodding and predictable. The new chick was good but the Asian dude just seemed to be phoning in his performance.

Also, Five picking the pocket of Dupod was beyond obvious. Did the writers actually expect us to be surprised by that tired old gimmick? :rolleye0014:

I have not seen it yet. :) Good to know Dupod is gone, because he was weighing down the rest of the cast IMO. I was over the Space Yakuza thing from day one, even if I still think the Asian guy (4) is interesting and a good character in the cast. I am sick of seeing swords and anyone actually fighting with them. He should be seeing his swordplay as pure hobby. It is not like Worf and his Klingon bat'leth, because the Klingon honor system is not modeled on anything already familiar. Sword Boy comes right out of Bruce Lee movies and 1970s Kung Fu films.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Haven't seen the new season of Dark Matter yet, but "Space" is happy getting 500,000 viewers each for Killjoys and Dark Matter.

With the cancellation of "Bitten" and the coming death of "Orphan Black". Hopefully they have thrown more resources at their space operas.

Between Andromeda and Dark Matter, I can see uncanny similarities between the shows. Mind you DM has that mood music that sounds like it was ripped-off from "Escape From New York".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Haven't seen the new season of Dark Matter yet, but "Space" is happy getting 500,000 viewers each for Killjoys and Dark Matter.

With the cancellation of "Bitten" and the coming death of "Orphan Black". Hopefully they have thrown more resources at their space operas.

Between Andromeda and Dark Matter, I can see uncanny similarities between the shows. Mind you DM has that mood music that sounds like it was ripped-off from "Escape From New York".

You think Andromeda and Dark Matter are similar? I don't. Andromeda's vibe was decidedly different IMO. They were a ship trying to rebuild a defeated regime, seeking allies to overthrow tyranny. The Corporate government of Dark Matter is similar, yes. But there is no magical sentient computer which can create a living avatar. And the Andromeda ship design was pure silly.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
You think Andromeda and Dark Matter are similar? I don't. Andromeda's vibe was decidedly different IMO. They were a ship trying to rebuild a defeated regime, seeking allies to overthrow tyranny. The Corporate government of Dark Matter is similar, yes. But there is no magical sentient computer which can create a living avatar. And the Andromeda ship design was pure silly.

" ... When you are flying in space I don't think the design of the ship really matters.

I can barely remember the characters, so I will go with the "impression" that Andromeda left with me years back. Romy surely resembles #2. The robot created a literal computer replica of herself. Number 4 comes from a warrior class similar to that of the warring Nietzschean. So on and so on.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
" ... When you are flying in space I don't think the design of the ship really matters.

I can barely remember the characters, so I will go with the "impression" that Andromeda left with me years back. Romy surely resembles #2. The robot created a literal computer replica of herself. Number 4 comes from a warrior class similar to that of the warring Nietzschean. So on and so on.

Like I said, Joe Mallozzi is "derivative" in his writing method.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was distracted and didn't catch all of the episode last night. Doesn't look like I missed much though. Not sure how I feel about the android becoming "human". Sure it gives the actress more latitude with the role but at the same time it blurs the lines and becomes cartoonish.