Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From that wiki:

Despite the absence of an actual sweeping change to the existence of large industrial conglomerates in Japan, the zaibatsu's previous vertically integrated chain of command, ending with a single family, has now widely been displaced by the horizontal relationships of association and coordination characteristic of keiretsu (系列?). Keiretsu, meaning "series" or "subsidiary", could be interpreted as being suggestive of this difference.

Translation: That "Corporation as Royalty" ain't happenin' no mo'. :)

In the first picture below, note that rack full of ancient weapons. WHY?

View attachment 32516 View attachment 32517 View attachment 32518

yet we still have a show where mankind is dominated by super corps-as-govts and one corporation HAS (inexplicably-probably since Mallozi hasn't even thought about it) set its head family up as royalty at some point
--------------------------

I am not even going to try and explain any of the language issues with how I was saying in today's corporate world of Korea--where it intersects with public opinion and reverence--the 'common ppl, view the owning families as modern day royalty. Not the US styled celebrity BS, but an earnest pseudo-worship of the owning families.

This comes complete with the use of royal honorifics for each member of the family and for those close to the family-like it was with former royal retainers.

These titles are used to address the members; "tae-wang"is used for the CEO, for example. Tae -wang means,roughly 'supreme king'

Doesn't matter about the show any more--when it comes to what is going on in Korea these days or days past, I know what I am talking about

The Koreans are uber capitalists and always look to the example of the wealthy in how to plot their own success as cogs in the corporate structure and the Chaebol of korea

chae-bol translated as "conglomerate". but that is no where near correct.conglomerate simply refers to the size and manner of control

chae-bol means that PLUS it puts its emphasis on family or clan control

chae, in this use, means wealth or property/assets and bol means clan or extended family

these terms are used in primacy before the implication of corporate control

"the family's wealth in control/rule over, the corporation and its ppl" is a rough translation for which their is no word for word to the english

as so, equating the positions of the family in merely the traditional western way )ceo, cfo, management,etc) does not "fit" this korean traditon of chae-bol

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so let me guess

next season we will see the crew re-awakening, once again mind wiped, and ready for more corporate hit squad missions ?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
so let me guess

next season we will see the crew re-awakening, once again mind wiped, and ready for more corporate hit squad missions ?

I'm not really invested in the story. I just want more nudity. The black guy, the Asian guy and the middle-aged white guy better start dropping clothes real fast in season 2 or I'm gonna lose interest and tune out.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not really invested in the story. I just want more nudity. The black guy, the Asian guy and the middle-aged white guy better start dropping clothes real fast in season 2 or I'm gonna lose interest and tune out.

So if they just stopped having any characters ever wear any clothing what would that do?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So if they just stopped having any characters ever wear any clothing what would that do?

Well, it would both repel and intrigue me. Either way I would tune in religiously. ;)

*Seriously though, my point is that, to me, the show isn't that deep or cleverly written. It's sort of like Friday night "junk food" if that makes sense. One consumes it then forgets about it. So, personally I don't really have an interest in dissecting the story and characters too much. It's just not that compelling.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, it would both repel and intrigue me. Either way I would tune in religiously. ;)

*Seriously though, my point is that, to me, the show isn't that deep or cleverly written. It's sort of like Friday night "junk food" if that makes sense. One consumes it then forgets about it. So, personally I don't really have an interest in dissecting the story and characters too much. It's just not that compelling.

It's space action in it's most vanilla form, and yes, it -is- scifi junk food, like SGA was. It has it's moments of "Wow, that was (Deep, Cool, Awesome, Insightful)" but for the most part, it's just junk.
It's the one in one thousand Big Mac that actually looks like it does in the ads, and tastes nice. It's still shit, but it is "nice" shit. :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is EXACTLY what it is, and I think that's what it wanted to be when it grew up. It is precisely what is missing from every other offering out there except Killjoys, but Killjoys is over the top...almost like Cleopatra 2525. Dark Matter is sorta like SG-1 and SGA and Sanctuary was to me.

It's space action in it's most vanilla form, and yes, it -is- scifi junk food, like SGA was. It has it's moments of "Wow, that was (Deep, Cool, Awesome, Insightful)" but for the most part, it's just junk.
It's the one in one thousand Big Mac that actually looks like it does in the ads, and tastes nice. It's still shit, but it is "nice" shit. :lol:

Very apt description! I really like it though. :) Looking forward to next season. It rewatches well too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so let me guess

I'm serious :)

what other plot device do they have to follow? the whole issue with the Whil Wheaton character just seemed very vanilla to me..and it only seemed to involve one character's backstory

(though they could expand that), nearly every other thing they did in S1 involved the entire crew or at least more then 1 crew member

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Dark Matter Season 2 is gaining an impressive new cast member: German actress Franka Potente. Potente, first exploding on the international scene with the kinetic romantic thriller Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run), is best known to American audiences as Jason Bourne’s love interest in The Bourne Identityand as Anne Frank in American Horror Story: Asylum. She will be joining the popular sci-fi space opera in the recurring role of Commander Shaddick, Chief Inspector of the Galactic Authority Serious Crimes Division.

eh....still not sold.

http://scifiaddicts.com/dark-matter-season-2-new-cast-member/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am surprised you don't like this show! It's Friday Night junk sci, and it doesn't try to be more than that. I think Killjoys also plays it like they want it played. In contrast, Sense8 is serious and dark and also humorous. Humans on AMC is also serious.
It's mainly down to the people that play the characters and the general premise that doesn't interest me one bit.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree with OM, Dark Matter and Killjoys are peas in a pod so to speak. Both are very up front about what they are (I mean, Killjoys actually has SPACE BOUNTY HUNTERS in big letters on its advertising). And Franka Potente is a good addition to the cast of Dark Matter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's mainly down to the people that play the characters and the general premise that doesn't interest me one bit.

I despise Joe Mallozzi as a person because, well, he's a smoking turd of a man. And I find the premise of this show to be "derivative" on many fronts. It's not great by any means, but it's okay as mindless fair to pass the time. It's a sad truism that there is worse stuff to watch on TV these days. In fact I find Killjoys to be rather boring compared to DM. (That's just personal preference of course.)

Admittedly one thing that attracts me to DM is the eye candy. The Asian guy, the black guy and the middle-aged white guy are all pretty hot. Wouldn't mind being stuck on a ship with them. Of course the rest of the crew would have to be put out the airlock, including the female android and the useless pretty boy. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I would want to "airlock" them, but there's only so much oxygen on the ship and, well, space is a harsh mistress and all that jazz. ;)

oie_42qw6rPnCwJu.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree with OM, Dark Matter and Killjoys are peas in a pod so to speak. Both are very up front about what they are (I mean, Killjoys actually has SPACE BOUNTY HUNTERS in big letters on its advertising). And Franka Potente is a good addition to the cast of Dark Matter.

Both of these series are fun to watch for me. I recently got caught up on Killjoys and I still like it. It's because they do not try to be serious and deep. They manage to do dark without it being a downer. Dark Matter has a political bent, but it works within the show and drives the storyline.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The season 2 premiere was okay. Amanda Tapping did a good job of directing it. Plus the budget and effects seemed pretty good. The biggest problem was the varied stories of each member of the crew. It was a lot to cram into one hour. As it is I'm really hoping they resolve the prison story quickly. I don't want to watch an entire season (or half-season) stuck in one location. I want a primarily episodic show, not a serialized show.

*BTW, the Asian hottie looks like he has gyno, i.e. "bitch tits" now. Men sometimes get those from doing steroids. No idea if he's ever done those so who knows? He did look less in shape than in season 1, at least to my appraising eye. With this in mind I've decided to postpone our nuptials. :P

**Also, Rac will be pleased with the casting in this one. Her favorite concave-chest star is in it. ;)

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah sweetie, your vegan diet is definitely anabolic. That would explain the bitch tits you have in Season 2. :rolleye0014:

Screenshot (8).png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was okay. Tapping directing helped, as we know from Sanctuary she is a capable director. But the writing let it down somewhat, making it feel sort of incoherent. Plus it was "insiders" in that you had to have watched a good part of the first season to pick up the story threads in this episode. I would not do that in a season premiere.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It was okay. Tapping directing helped, as we know from Sanctuary she is a capable director. But the writing let it down somewhat, making it feel sort of incoherent. Plus it was "insiders" in that you had to have watched a good part of the first season to pick up the story threads in this episode. I would not do that in a season premiere.

Loathe as I am to defend anything by Mallozzi I have to say they didn't really have a choice considering the cliffhanger in season 1. What bugs me is that they are clearly going to drag out the prison thing for a little while. I would love it if they wrapped it up by episode 2 and then got on to episodic adventures. If Mallozzi wants to write Firefly 2.0 he really needs to get more episodic and use the story arc as more of a seasonal bookend.

I understand what you mean about it feeling incoherent but that's due in no small part to the show having too many cast members to concentrate on. They should have grouped them all together from the start and had it play out that way instead of giving every character their own focus in the episode. (I should mention that I don't care one iota what happens to "Pretty Boy" and I haven't even bothered to learn his name. His story line is completely uninteresting to me, in fact, whenever they switch to his scenes I am pulled out of the story. He needs to go. He's a total waste of screen time.)

Also, since certain producers connected with this show have a penchant for being "derivative" it's surprising that they didn't do a riff on the prison scenes ala Guardians of the Galaxy. Now that would have been fun. Lost opportunity in my opinion.