Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
This past Friday's episode was somewhat like a Stargate SG-1 episode from Season 6:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did y'all catch Dark Matter this week? Not bad.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So how are you liking Dark Matter this season? Me, I think it has found its footing a bit more than prior seasons and especially more than Season One.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So how are you liking Dark Matter this season? Me, I think it has found its footing a bit more than prior seasons and especially more than Season One.

I am loving it. :) But I have not seen the most recent episode yet. I will probably watch it today. BTW, I am really liking my Prime membership on Amazon.

I stopped watching this show. Life got too busy and I realized I don't have time to devote to Mr. Mallozzi's "derivative" story telling. I might try binging it on Netflix at some point, but this guy has a track record of ultimately being disappointing in the long run. So no promises. As it is I don't trust comic book writers on principle (as a rule they are deviates and mental cases with mommy issues) and it's probably just a matter of time before this story turns into a farce, if it hasn't already.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I stopped watching this show. Life got too busy and I realized I don't have time to devote to Mr. Mallozzi's "derivative" story telling. I might try binging it on Netflix at some point, but this guy has a track record of ultimately being disappointing in the long run. So no promises. As it is I don't trust comic book writers on principle (as a rule they are deviates and mental cases with mommy issues) and it's probably just a matter of time before this story turns into a farce, if it hasn't already.

Have you tried The Expanse instead?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

It's still great. :) But like Lord Ba'al recommended, you will find The Expanse refreshingly intellectual and engaging, and it looks so damned good too! Excellent storytelling, great pacing, and our Stargate alumni actors have appeared in it at regular intervals. I think that because it has the benefit of having novels guiding the story, it seems far more artistic and mature than everything else out there. The Expanse could very well be the best show on TV right now.

In my opinion of course. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, and the last season was quite good, which is shocking for a SyFy show. I'm not sure which direction they're going to go now that certain events have happened but I will catch the next season when I get the chance.

They are following the books closely. I believe Joelist said that the authors have an active role in the scripting of this show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are following the books closely. I believe Joelist said that the authors have an active role in the scripting of this show.

Yes they do. Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck co-write the books and short stories under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey. They are also Producers and both write some episodes and vet the writing of the others.

Yes they do. Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck co-write the books and short stories under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey. They are also Producers and both write some episodes and vet the writing of the others.

That's certainly a rarity in TV (and film) today. Guess it explains why it's a quality show compared to many others.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So... Dark Matter reportedly cancelled after 3 (short) seasons. So much for Mallozzi and Mullie's new show.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
So... Dark Matter reportedly cancelled after 3 (short) seasons. So much for Mallozzi and Mullie's new show.

It sucks to find out that you are out of a job the Friday before Labor Day (US) weekend. Killjoys and Wynonna Earp were renewed, and Dark Matter was canceled. Killjoys was renewed for Seasons 4 (2018) and 5 (2019), because Syfy shows never go on for more than five seasons (with the notable exception of Postmodern Battlestar Galactica).

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Postmodern Battlestar Galactica?

Wasn't that like 4 seasons and 6 episodes or something?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Were the numbers that bad for Dark Matter? I'm kinda surprised actually.

I was surprised. I thought it would go for at least 5 seasons. One thing I did notice is that it seemed like it was being written "on the fly" each season at a time, and that there was no clear goal for this crew to accomplish. It also looked like it was not that cheap to produce.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Dark Matter was bigger budget which meant it needed bigger viewership to get the ad rate monies it needed. And yes it did feel kind of unfocused for exact reason OM mentions - there really is no overarching story in the background.

I was surprised. I thought it would go for at least 5 seasons. One thing I did notice is that it seemed like it was being written "on the fly" each season at a time, and that there was no clear goal for this crew to accomplish. It also looked like it was not that cheap to produce.
Yep. Dark Matter was bigger budget which meant it needed bigger viewership to get the ad rate monies it needed. And yes it did feel kind of unfocused for exact reason OM mentions - there really is no overarching story in the background.

Not trying to bash on Killjoys here but that show always struck me as being cheaper than Dark Matter. With that in mind it's not surprising that this is the outcome. For what it's worth I didn't hate DM but it wasn't exactly ground breaking in terms of story telling. In fact it seemed awfully derivative when it came to plots and story lines. (I gave up on the show when they had the android searching for her humanity. That gimmick has been sodomized by countless other shows to the point that it's not remotely interesting anymore. It's insulting to viewers when writers fall back on that tired horse and really shows a lack of creativity and originality.)