Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hes got a lil' neck. Shit, my arm is thicker.

From what I can gather that's an older pic, probably from the first season of the show. His fitness level has clearly dropped in season 2 from what I can tell of the prison scene where you see him fairly nude. It's only a brief clip but I watched it twice and his tata's look saggy. It's not normal for an Asian guy to have bitch tits. They might not be egregiously gyno but there's something going on there for sure. Unless of course he got those tits from eating soy on his vegan diet. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The season 2 premiere was okay. Amanda Tapping did a good job of directing it. Plus the budget and effects seemed pretty good. The biggest problem was the varied stories of each member of the crew. It was a lot to cram into one hour. As it is I'm really hoping they resolve the prison story quickly. I don't want to watch an entire season (or half-season) stuck in one location. I want a primarily episodic show, not a serialized show.

*BTW, the Asian hottie looks like he has gyno, i.e. "bitch tits" now. Men sometimes get those from doing steroids. No idea if he's ever done those so who knows? He did look less in shape than in season 1, at least to my appraising eye. With this in mind I've decided to postpone our nuptials. :P

**Also, Rac will be pleased with the casting in this one. Her favorite concave-chest star is in it. ;)

Wait, what? It's back on? I have to catch up. Remember, I am a cord cutter. I have to hear when things are showing! I should have put it on a calendar with a reminder! Getting now...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh dear....LESS THAN TWO MINUTES into the thing, they have everyone standing around stripped down to underwear? REALLY?

vlcsnap-2016-07-02-21h04m16s131.png

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::jackanime14::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Loathe as I am to defend anything by Mallozzi I have to say they didn't really have a choice considering the cliffhanger in season 1. What bugs me is that they are clearly going to drag out the prison thing for a little while. I would love it if they wrapped it up by episode 2 and then got on to episodic adventures. If Mallozzi wants to write Firefly 2.0 he really needs to get more episodic and use the story arc as more of a seasonal bookend.

I understand what you mean about it feeling incoherent but that's due in no small part to the show having too many cast members to concentrate on. They should have grouped them all together from the start and had it play out that way instead of giving every character their own focus in the episode. (I should mention that I don't care one iota what happens to "Pretty Boy" and I haven't even bothered to learn his name. His story line is completely uninteresting to me, in fact, whenever they switch to his scenes I am pulled out of the story. He needs to go. He's a total waste of screen time.)

Also, since certain producers connected with this show have a penchant for being "derivative" it's surprising that they didn't do a riff on the prison scenes ala Guardians of the Galaxy. Now that would have been fun. Lost opportunity in my opinion.

kind of related to these comments ( i have not yet watched any S2 yet) is when i posted about S1 after I binged it--
that was, don't really see where they could go with the story other then to do a "lather,rinse, repeat".

that is, the are picked up at end of s1, sent to jail, "re-programmed" and then sent back out with no memory-other then how to kill and be bad ass-to do the corporation's bidding.

now maybe they will develop some other story independent of the "amnesiac mercenary" line, but it would require a drastic change in storyline and character qualities

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
kind of related to these comments ( i have not yet watched any S2 yet) is when i posted about S1 after I binged it--
that was, don't really see where they could go with the story other then to do a "lather,rinse, repeat".

that is, the are picked up at end of s1, sent to jail, "re-programmed" and then sent back out with no memory-other then how to kill and be bad ass-to do the corporation's bidding.

now maybe they will develop some other story independent of the "amnesiac mercenary" line, but it would require a drastic change in storyline and character qualities

This second season is just like the bolded. They are now past the amnesiac mercenary thing, and they will have to drop the One, Two, Three, Four, Five and Six thing (which was cool). They all know who each other is now, and there is no reason for them to really stick together anymore. They could go with a "principled revolution" type thing I guess. Whatever the case, we are looking at a different show than first season, in terms of the story.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I fear they might try to slow down the story and really stretch it out this season because of exactly what you said.

This second season is just like the bolded. They are now past the amnesiac mercenary thing, and they will have to drop the One, Two, Three, Four, Five and Six thing (which was cool). They all know who each other is now, and there is no reason for them to really stick together anymore. They could go with a "principled revolution" type thing I guess. Whatever the case, we are looking at a different show than first season, in terms of the story.

Exactly, they need to somehow get them all back on the ship and working as a team again. How do they do that though? I suspect they will do a prison break, aided by "Six" whom they eventually forgive for betraying them. They will get back to the ship and then they're back in space being pursued by corporations, etc. Hopefully the interpersonal drama won't be too much. Just get them back into space and give them some adventures is all I ask.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode 2 was actually quite good I must say. The writing was a bit convoluted what with all the competing corporations and their machinations going on, blah blah blah. But other than that Mallozzi did a good job of writing this one. The production values were good and there was a nice, albeit brief, turn by Torri Higginson also. The story is now back in motion and hopefully they will keep up the momentum. It's kind of a shame that Mallozzi didn't bring this level of "movement" to SGU. The show might actually have been worth watching if that had happened.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I had meant to post. The first couple of episodes have been okay but they absolutely need to get them out of the prison. Other than that I concur with Shaved.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Is this show worth the time? I couldn't get past the pilot. It felt too reminiscent of Andromeda.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode 2 was actually quite good I must say. The writing was a bit convoluted what with all the competing corporations and their machinations going on, blah blah blah. But other than that Mallozzi did a good job of writing this one. The production values were good and there was a nice, albeit brief, turn by Torri Higginson also. The story is now back in motion and hopefully they will keep up the momentum. It's kind of a shame that Mallozzi didn't bring this level of "movement" to SGU. The show might actually have been worth watching if that had happened.

the season,so far, has been a pleasant surprise

hope they keep it up and hey, maybe even get more funding ponied up to increase the production value

<kind of reminds me of the first season sg1,when a lot of the off world sets seemed canned and cheap--they improved as the show got better=gained more viewers-- all IMO >

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I like the show so far. Actually I should say I like season two better so far than I did season one. The first season I was watching the episodes for the sake of watching, because I do tend to stick with a show once I get into it, but I didn't have a feeling of "O I want to see the next episode right now". I watched the first ep of season two and was glad that I could watch the second ep straight after. Definitely feeling more of a pull this time around. Can't really put my finger on why though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like the show so far. Actually I should say I like season two better so far than I did season one. The first season I was watching the episodes for the sake of watching, because I do tend to stick with a show once I get into it, but I didn't have a feeling of "O I want to see the next episode right now". I watched the first ep of season two and was glad that I could watch the second ep straight after. Definitely feeling more of a pull this time around. Can't really put my finger on why though.

You need to get past the first three episodes then you will be hooked. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is this show worth the time? I couldn't get past the pilot. It felt too reminiscent of Andromeda.

YES, it's worth it. You need to pound down the first three episodes, then you will like it....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I had meant to post. The first couple of episodes have been okay but they absolutely need to get them out of the prison. Other than that I concur with Shaved.

Did you see episode #2 yet? Don't want to spoil anything if you haven't.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Let's put it this way, this show is actually better than some of the crap that SyFy airs. It's not great by any means but it is watchable. And yes, the pilot and initial premise of the show was derivative of other shows/movies, but once the story got going it was okay. I'm not a fan of Mallozzi but can admit that he actually does an okay job with this one.

That said, the show needs to be tightened up, some characters need to be jettisoned, etc. If that happens -- and I think it might -- it will improve even more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's put it this way, this show is actually better than some of the crap that SyFy airs. It's not great by any means but it is watchable. And yes, the pilot and initial premise of the show was derivative of other shows/movies, but once the story got going it was okay. I'm not a fan of Mallozzi but can admit that he actually does an okay job with this one.

That said, the show needs to be tightened up, some characters need to be jettisoned, etc. If that happens -- and I think it might -- it will improve even more.

THAT

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I think Mallozzi is a talented writer. I just didn't like his arrogant, self-important attitude but that doesn't diminish the man's skills.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think Mallozzi is a talented writer. I just didn't like his arrogant, self-important attitude but that doesn't diminish the man's skills.

That's why I was a bit surprised when I saw "written by Joe Mallozzi" on the credits for Kill Them All, episode #2 of the second season. It was actually a pretty good episode. So it got me wondering what the hell happened with SGU. I guess Brad Wright must have been sitting on Mallozzi's neck because what else could explain the difference in quality between these productions?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Dark Matter is a good show. Much better than the first three episodes would let on. Yet it is signature Mallozzi, and has a Friday Night Scifi feel to it (so does Killjoys). It does not try to be too serious, and is on an entertainment level of SG-1. There is a lot of interpersonal interaction and decent character development. NOT soap.