Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was distracted and didn't catch all of the episode last night. Doesn't look like I missed much though. Not sure how I feel about the android becoming "human". Sure it gives the actress more latitude with the role but at the same time it blurs the lines and becomes cartoonish.

I absolutely LOVED the episode. :) Android can now dress up as a hottie and interact with humans and pass for one. It came in very handy in the episode, and the way they introduced the tech was both logical and not nearly as hokey as what they did with The Doctor on Star Trek and his mobile emitter. It also has limitations. And it can be used and removed by Android herself. I like her as human Android and also her original, and they have preserved both characters. Six is back in action, and he has proven that he can be trusted. One (the actor) briefly returned but Two dispatched him so that actor is gone for good since both his personas have been killed. The new chick is a perfect compliment to this crew as is the medic. Android is BADASS as a fighter and is more fun to watch than even Two. Sexy ass new chick is being set up (I think) as a 'ship for Three. At least as a steamy encounter. :) Four, well his Sword Boy schtick was framed by Space Yakuza pursuing him, so if they drop that whole thing and put a gun in his hand instead of that sword, he will be fine. He fits well in the crew.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Like I said, Joe Mallozzi is "derivative" in his writing method.

like the android with emotions?

that does have a familiar ring to it...

I was distracted and didn't catch all of the episode last night. Doesn't look like I missed much though. Not sure how I feel about the android becoming "human". Sure it gives the actress more latitude with the role but at the same time it blurs the lines and becomes cartoonish.

i don't know why, but i can try to watch an ep (this season only) at any time of day and always seem to find myself falling asleep

last season was far more interesting, imo

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Is anyone keeping up with this series?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
David Hewitt was in these last two episodes, and I have to say that I find his character in these is rather annoying. :( He does not seem to be able to bring any depth to his character, choosing instead to go for cheesy comic relief and fast talking McKay-isms which don't match the tone of the show or the backstory of his character. The comedy relief in this show is decidedly low-key, and has been seen in Android, Three and even Five. Hewitt goes for the McKay over the top sort of humor more fitting in Stargate Atlantis, whose character of McKay he seems to be borrowing from heavily.

Overall, I am liking the new direction the show is going. I like the idea of them stealing the one-of-a-kind "blink drive", and how other ships are not going to have it. :) I was shocked that they killed off the medic guy, and I have softened my view on Corporate Chick because I think she makes for a good villianess now.

This show is really fun to watch!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At some point I have to catch back up on this- I have been tied up working to the extent that I'm fortunate to keep up on Killjoys and The Last Ship.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hewitt's idea, or someone else's?

Most def Hewitt. I think Mallozzi told him to "run with it" and gave him lots of latitude with his character. Probably because they are friends and his McKay character was very popular. But you cant do McKay in Dark Matter. Besides that, his backstory is that of a space hustler/informant/smuggler. Mike Dopud did that same character type in this show and it totally fit the show. Hewitt's character feels like it might feel if you put Austin Powers in Star Trek as a regular character. You have not seen it?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
At some point I have to catch back up on this- I have been tied up working to the extent that I'm fortunate to keep up on Killjoys and The Last Ship.

I love Dark Matter. :) I don't dislike Killjoys, but I have stopped watching it for some reason. The Last Ship became sort of boring for me but was a good show when I last watched it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Killjoys is up and down. It started getting pretty foul mouthed and such but then suddenly it has reeled off three strong installments in a row with no obscenities to speak of and a plot digging deeply into the Sixes.

The Last Ship has been a chameleon show. Season One was Sci-Fi action, Season Two was geopolitical thriller and Season Three is kind of a cross between 24 and The West Wing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Most def Hewitt. I think Mallozzi told him to "run with it" and gave him lots of latitude with his character. Probably because they are friends and his McKay character was very popular. But you cant do McKay in Dark Matter. Besides that, his backstory is that of a space hustler/informant/smuggler. Mike Dopud did that same character type and it totally fit the show. Hewitt's character feels like it might feel if you put Austin Powers in Star Trek as a regular character. You have not seen it?

i really liked s1-watched it in one long day!

s2? i have gotten to the end of Ep2-but every time i try to watch an ep from this season, i fall asleep! it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

idk-between the gloomy lighting and the less then exciting plot and dialogue--vs last seasons- it just kind of lulls me into nighty-night :jonasanime02:

BUT! I do WANT to like it--guess I'll get a case of coke and put a chili pepper up my butt and then do a binge-that should keep me awake :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dark Matter just got a Season Three renewal along with Killjoys.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dark Matter just got a Season Three renewal along with Killjoys.

They deserve it. Have you caught up with it yet? It is really a good show, in the vein of Stargate and Firefly...in terms of team and adventure elements. It has interesting characters and an easy to follow, entertaining storyline with some comedic qualities. Quintessential Mallozzi. I am getting the latest episode right now. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dark Matter premiered Season Three yesterday - did you catch it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now let's talk about Android! OMG she is now my favorite character. She is all of the best...badass, logical, attractive, and the actress pulls it all off beautifully. This show is amazingly consistent, even though there are constant reveals and twists in the storyline. The writing is great, there are few holes in the timeline and plot, yet it manages to never be predictable. I love this show! It's the only one on the scene for science fiction/fantasy which is still done in the old style of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis but with a better, less complicated premise. There are only humans and human made androids in Dark Matter.

The rest of the cast remains true to their characters, even when the behaviors change (because of memories)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do like it. It started out as incoherent nonsense but they recovered their footing and now it is a good watch. Not in the class of The Expanse but likeable. It forms one third of the sci-fi shows on SyFy I like right now (The Expanse and Killjoys round it out).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember, Dark Matter tonight.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember, Dark Matter tonight.

How do you all like this season so far?