Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so

is there a movement/fundraiser/twitter campaign to get DM fan made or picked up by netflix/amazon/hulu yet?

:)

it seems this happens to every cancelled show these days-good or bad

heisenberg

Earl Grey
so

is there a movement/fundraiser/twitter campaign to get DM fan made or picked up by netflix/amazon/hulu yet?

:)

it seems this happens to every cancelled show these days-good or bad
Following the show’s cancelation, Mallozzi noted that MGM approached him with the aim of bringing the show to its new streaming service, Stargate Command, which launched last month. The service is billed as an online destination for Stargate fans, allowing them to stream every episode and movie from the franchise. To help promote the platform, MGM announced it was filming a prequel web series, Stargate: Origins. In an e-mail to The Verge, Mallozzi said the platform would have “afforded us a host of possibilities, from 20-minute installments to a full series.”
That plan didn’t come to fruition, sadly: while several parties were interested in reviving the show, Mallozzi says time ran out on the contracts for the production’s sets and cast members, so there’s no chance of a fourth season at this point. He does say he’s “still holding out hope that somehow, some way, we can find a way to give fans that series-ending miniseries.” If that doesn’t work, he has said he’s exploring going back to the show’s roots by finishing up the story as a comic book.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/14...ncelation-mgm-stargate-command-crossover-syfy

Interesting piece on Mozz' blog. And David Reed from Gateworld is in the mix? That's odd....

View attachment 33584

I'm not getting the crossover idea between DM and Stargate. It doesn't make much sense and seems like a gratuitous scheme to get SG fans to tune into DM.

Also, I'm doubting that DM lost its chance to get a 4th season due to vague and unexplained "contract issues". It simply wasn't that great of a show and not enough people were clamoring for more of it, certainly not enough for a different network to take a chance on it. That's the truth of the matter.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not getting the crossover idea between DM and Stargate. It doesn't make much sense and seems like a gratuitous scheme to get SG fans to tune into DM.

Also, I'm doubting that DM lost its chance to get a 4th season due to vague and unexplained "contract issues". It simply wasn't that great of a show and not enough people were clamoring for more of it, certainly not enough for a different network to take a chance on it. That's the truth of the matter.

It's sad how it went from hit to shit in a season and a half. They had everything going on until they did the memory reveals. They should have kept that "I don't remember who I am" thing going on for multiple seasons, and it would have made perfect sense. They could all pick up bits and pieces and after three or four season, then have somebody find a backup of their memory or something. As soon as they revealed the characters identities, everything went to shit. Sword Boy 4 was interesting until he became a space Yakuza prince. 2 was cool until she became a robot, etc.

The show wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I found I could take it or leave it (especially when they began riding the cliche' story line of the android searching for her humanity. My God that gimmick is tired! :rolleye0014:)

The cast of characters was too big and frankly I'm surprised the show lasted for 3 seasons with that many different stories to tell. A live action production of that size, replete with CGI, is hard to sustain unless it has a huge audience backing it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The show wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I found I could take it or leave it (especially when they began riding the cliche' story line of the android searching for her humanity. My God that gimmick is tired! :rolleye0014:)

The cast of characters was too big and frankly I'm surprised the show lasted for 3 seasons with that many different stories to tell. A live action production of that size, replete with CGI, is hard to sustain unless it has a huge audience backing it.

I was starting to like Android. :) It was the whole thing that crumbled at the same time. All of the characters changed into new characters, and it was disappointing because we were seeing the same actors playing the parts. They started it with the dumb double number 1. They killed the first one, then killed the second one too. Why did he have to be a bad guy at all?

I was starting to like Android. :) It was the whole thing that crumbled at the same time. All of the characters changed into new characters, and it was disappointing because we were seeing the same actors playing the parts. They started it with the dumb double number 1. They killed the first one, then killed the second one too. Why did he have to be a bad guy at all?

Because it was a poorly thought out story concept.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Because it was a poorly thought out story concept.

Looking back at SG-1 seasons 6 on, and Stargate Atlantis from season to season, it is like they thought out each season on the fly (like soap opera writers do), and changed things around to fit whatever was popular, or adjusted to the availability of new actors which became available. Connor Trineer was fresh of the newly canceled Enterprise, and Cameron and Vala had come from Farscape together after that was done. They just wrote them in. Dark Matter seems to have been following that same creative path.

Last edited:
Looking back at SG-1 seasons 6 on, and Stargate Atlantis from season to season, it is like they thought out each season on the fly (like soap opera writers do), and changed things around to fit whatever was popular, or adjusted to the availability of new actors which became available. Connor Trineer was fresh of the newly canceled Enterprise, and Cameron and Vala had come from Farscape together after that was done. They just wrote them in. Dark Matter seems to have been following that same creative path.

Wasn't DM supposed to be a TV version of Mallozzi's comic book? If so, why didn't they know where they were going with the show? They had a template right there. And if there wasn't enough source material to work from that's Mallozzi's fault. So was having a top-heavy production that priced itself out of the running with SyFy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welcome!

:welcomewagon:

I hope you like and enjoy this little slice of funtown (GateFans)!

Tonberry

GateFans Noob
The Ego on this SOB... why would he want to mix his trashy show with the SG universe and try to launch this show on their new platform? he really doesnt think his shit stinks does he... tbh i would throw such a hissyfit if he was allowed anywhere near Stargate in the future....

And hello Joelist. here have a free stab! STAB STAB STAB!!!!

8TERRK7Ta.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wont lie i love that they canceled this :D

#dancingforcancellation

I actually liked it a lot the first season. I would look forward to the next episode. But then they lost it when they did all the reveals and ruined the characters with them. Mallozzi has some talent, but then he loses direction. I think he is best on a team he is not leading? I don't know...I am just a lowly netizen with no shows!

Tonberry

GateFans Noob
I actually liked it a lot the first season. I would look forward to the next episode. But then they lost it when they did all the reveals and ruined the characters with them. Mallozzi has some talent, but then he loses direction. I think he is best on a team he is not leading? I don't know...I am just a lowly netizen with no shows!
SHAME on you! have you forgotten all the bad episodes of Stargate? he wrote them ALL!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I liked season one also but like you guys lost interest when season 2 came around and had no idea there was a 3rd .
;)