Ratings II

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think predicting next week's ratings for SGU will be a real challenge.
In my opinion "Blockade" was a good episode to casual fans and the previews for "Gauntlet" also seem interesting. Of course the hardcore fanbase of perhaps around 800,000 viewers will watch anyway. The question is how many casual viewers are aware that it's the series finale, that the episode will end in an unresolved cliffhanger and would that knowledge draw them towards watching or away from it anyway???

O dear, Actual on topic conversation!! :eek:

Considering that the L+7 numbers have hardly moved (still around the 500k mark) every loss/gain has really been driven by people either watching or not watching live, I would suspect that the L+7 for Gauntlet would be slightly lower as people make the time to watch it in the L+SD slot. I would expect around the 1.2-3 mark L+SD, but still a total viewership of around the 1.5-6 mark.

But I don't have a crystal ball.............. :D

G

Graybrew1

Yeah, Sorry my bad.

I can honestly say that if it were not for doing the reveiw on this week's Ep. I would seriously consider not watching it. It has been pretty much leaked out that it will end in a cliffhanger and so that makes me wonder if I should change my predictions to much lower. But I alas also do not have a crystal ball. :( :biggrin:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
O dear, Actual on topic conversation!! :eek:

Considering that the L+7 numbers have hardly moved (still around the 500k mark) every loss/gain has really been driven by people either watching or not watching live, I would suspect that the L+7 for Gauntlet would be slightly lower as people make the time to watch it in the L+SD slot. I would expect around the 1.2-3 mark L+SD, but still a total viewership of around the 1.5-6 mark.

But I don't have a crystal ball.............. :D
Since it isn't ratings night, there's no good reason for OT chat drowning comments on ratings in this thread, so those were moved and may be continued there.

Is it so? Have the L+7 numbers really remained constant throughout the bobbing up and down of the ratings?

As for the crystal ball, you were just unlucky!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Since it isn't ratings night, there's no good reason for OT chat drowning comments on ratings in this thread, so those were moved and may be continued there.

Is it so? Have the L+7 numbers really remained constant throughout the bobbing up and down of the ratings?

As for the crystal ball, you were just unlucky!

Mediasavant has posted some of the L+7 ratings and yeah, they have remained fairly stable from what I can tell. The median seems to be the 500k mark, with only relatively minor fluctuations (within a 50k tollerance for the most part IIRC.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Mediasavant has posted some of the L+7 ratings and yeah, they have remained fairly stable from what I can tell. The median seems to be the 500k mark, with only relatively minor fluctuations (within a 50k tollerance for the most part IIRC.
You mean the +7 ratings are fairly stable at around 500K, not the total L+7.
But if the crowd DVRing and watching the episode 4-7 days later is remaining constant, the total number of viewers must be fluctuating from around 1.35 - 1.60 million. Which seems very odd, unless the extra people who watch an episode with high Live ratings aren't watching at all when the episode gets low ratings. Which means, about 250K people either watch the show Live (+3) or not at all - true casual viewers!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You mean the +7 ratings are fairly stable at around 500K, not the total L+7.
But if the crowd DVRing and watching the episode 4-7 days later is remaining constant, the total number of viewers must be fluctuating from around 1.35 - 1.60 million. Which seems very odd, unless the extra people who watch an episode with high Live ratings aren't watching at all when the episode gets low ratings. Which means, about 250K people either watch the show Live (+3) or not at all - true casual viewers!

Yes, sorry, my bad

THX1138

GateFans Member
The show they put after wrestling had a gain of around 211% over its Monday airing. Sanctuary meanwhile lost a load of viewers when moving to Monday. There's a lot of logic there is saying it could be down to the wrestling.

Moreover it suggests viewers of Syfy won't follow shows away from Friday which is concerning. If they can't put sci-fi anywhere apart from Friday in the fall then that doesn't bode well for us fans.

There's no logic in it at all and totally ignores all the data that says Smackdown did not make a noticeable difference to the scripted shows on after it. There's nothing logical in ignoring data that doesn't fit your conclusion as you are doing.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
There's already a lot of people visiting this forum. Probably all excited to see tonight's final ratings.

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm pretty curious as well. In more than one sense of the word. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
There's no logic in it at all and totally ignores all the data that says Smackdown did not make a noticeable difference to the scripted shows on after it. There's nothing logical in ignoring data that doesn't fit your conclusion as you are doing.

Those are the only two shows to air after smackdown on Syfy and they have both been affected. Which data am I ignoring (honestly, looking at the ratings i thought it was a solid case).

Tropicana

Council Member
Wow, Travis is more efficient tonight compared to last week.

Dancing with the Stars (121 minutes)
- 20.744 million viewers
- 12.9/20 HH
- 4.2/12 A18-49

Castle (59 minutes)
- 12.601 million viewers
- 8.0/13 HH
- 3.1/8 A18-49

How I Met Your Mother
- 6.408 million viewers
- 4.1/7 HH
- 2.6/8 A18-49

Mad Love
- 5.109 million viewers
- 3.4/5 HH
- 1.9/5 A18-49

Two and a Half Men (R, 31 minutes)
- 6.451 million viewers
- 4.2/6 HH
- 1.8/5 A18-49

Mike & Molly
- 7.626 million viewers
- 4.9/7 HH
- 2.3/6 A18-49

Hawaii Five-0 (59 minutes)
- 9.445 million viewers
- 6.0/10 HH
- 2.3/6 A18-49

Chuck
- 4.099 million viewers
- 2.4/4 HH
- 1.4/4 A18-49

The Event
- 3.850 million viewers
- 2.4/4 HH
- 1.1/3 A18-49

Law & Order: Los Angeles
- 5.056 million viewers
- 3.4/5 HH
- 1.2/3 A18-49

House (61 minutes)
- 7.941 million viewers
- 4.8/8 HH
- 3.0/9 A18-49

The Chicago Code (59 minutes)
- 5.672 million viewers
- 3.5/5 HH
- 1.7/4 A18-49

- 1.432 million viewers
- 1.0/2 HH
- 0.7/2 A18-49
- 0.8/3 A18-34
- 1.2/4 W18-34

Gossip Girl
- 1.201 million viewers
- 0.9/1 HH
- 0.6/2 A18-49
- 0.9/3 A18-34
- 1.4/4 W18-34

S

Stonelesscutter

Those ratings for Two and a Half Men are for reruns right?
There's no NEW episodes of that show are there?

S

Stonelesscutter

Aye, it's indicated with a "R" so yeah, it's a repeat. :)

Two and a Half Men (R, 31 minutes)
- 6.451 million viewers
- 4.2/6 HH
- 1.8/5 A18-49

IC. Thanks.
Funny though that they state 31 minutes while every ep I ever saw of that show lasts about 20 minutes, 22 minutes top.
Apparently commercials also count for the ratings.

Tropicana

Council Member
IC. Thanks.
Funny though that they state 31 minutes while every ep I ever saw of that show lasts about 20 minutes, 22 minutes top.
Apparently commercials also count for the ratings.
They sure do. The purpose of the ratings system is to indicate how many people watch the ads, the popularity of the show happens to be the by-product.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
They sure do. The purpose of the ratings system is to indicate how many people watch the ads, the popularity of the show happens to be the by-product.

Anyone else noticing the influx of in-show ads these days. It's fine when it's subtle but the latest episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent mentioned the ipad a good 7 or 8 times and then had it hold a vital clue. Man we really have moved out of that second golden age of television.

S

Stonelesscutter

Funny thing about that is that there's probably a lot of people who mute the sound during commercials or make snacks, take bathroom breaks or do something else.

S

Stonelesscutter

Anyone else noticing the influx of in-show ads these days. It's fine when it's subtle but the latest episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent mentioned the ipad a good 7 or 8 times and then had it hold a vital clue. Man we really have moved out of that second golden age of television.

I was thinking just a few days ago that advertisements like that might be just the thing shows gathering low ratings need. As an advertiser, at least you know for sure that all the people who watched an episode saw your product.

Tropicana

Council Member
Funny thing about that is that there's probably a lot of people who mute the sound during commercials or make snacks, take bathroom breaks or do something else.
In real life, that's what happens, no body really sits and watches ads; but the advertisers don't know that, they can only hope and pray that you're so lazy you can't be bothered to get up from your seat and move about. Sad but true.