Lost in Space on Netflix

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I distinctly recall them asking Don West what the A.C. colony was like which means that he had been there before. Again, from what I understood he is a crew member that goes back and forth to ferry colonists to their new home. Besides, even if this was the first shipment of colonists they had to have gone to A.C. before that to check it out for being a viable planet and to set up some basic infrastructure for the colonists, so maybe he was part of that crew.

Yes, he did. Which means that the Resolute ferry station is the only ship with the stolen alien drive they are using to go back and forth. What I don't remember without rewatching it, is if the aliens stole it back before opening the portal. I think they did, which means the Resolute and the Jupiters attached to it are goners, along with earth's means to get from Alpha Centauri to earth and the other way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think you're right in that they are poised for another season as long as Netflix is still spending freely. And I'll definitely be interested in watching it even with Parker Posey as a cast member. :icon_lol:

*She did a good job of playing a psychopath. I can't help but wonder if they will pair her with Will the way they did in TOS. If you remember TOS Dr. Smith and Will Robinson (and the robot) were often the main focus of the episodes in the later seasons. I'm pretty sure the other cast members got a little pissed for being marginalized in the story.

This show can make great use of Parker Posey. She is truly twisted in this show. Almost as deeply evil as Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon A Time done by Robert Carlyle. Hers is very convincing. As far as her and will? Maybe. She did put the Robot back together too. They have a good ensemble cast, but because this is a family unit, there is the risk of PC fail and mommy episodes or daddy bonding episodes.

Yes, he did. Which means that the Resolute ferry station is the only ship with the stolen alien drive they are using to go back and forth. What I don't remember without rewatching it, is if the aliens stole it back before opening the portal. I think they did, which means the Resolute and the Jupiters attached to it are goners, along with earth's means to get from Alpha Centauri to earth and the other way.

Okay, let's back up a bit. I just remembered that that glowing engine thing was underneath the Chariot after Dr. Smith, Maureen and Judy returned from the crashed alien ship. I'm assuming that's how it got onto the Jupiter 2. So was that the engine from the crashed alien ship that the robot came from? And if so, how did it get underneath the Chariot? And does that mean that there are now two engines and the humans back on the Resolute still have the first one? :daniel_new004:

* I really have no desire to go back and rewatch this thing just to get these questions answered.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, let's back up a bit. I just remembered that that glowing engine thing was underneath the Chariot after Dr. Smith, Maureen and Judy returned from the crashed alien ship. I'm assuming that's how it got onto the Jupiter 2. So was that the engine from the crashed alien ship that the robot came from? And if so, how did it get underneath the Chariot? And does that mean that there are now two engines and the humans back on the Resolute still have the first one? :daniel_new004:

* I really have no desire to go back and rewatch this thing just to get these questions answered.

Yes about the alien ship that crashed, the Robot was on that ship. And yeah, I saw that device from the alien ship under the chariot, and that is evidently why the other alien ship went for them. I am not sure about the Resolute. I may rewatch the series next weekend. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Maureen was on the design team for the resolute. so given the age of her kids and the depth of settlement already on AC, and the fact that the crashed alien ship with the engine on it was that "christmas star" thing that was supposedly a meteor having happened when her kids were near the age they are now. having the alien tech is fairly new to them then

then i am guessing other ships made the journey before with some other type of drive system that established the colony

of course with a much longer journey time

**and, we see the jupiter 'jump' away at the end. the alien engine has jump drive, so why didn't the resolute use that to jump to AC from the start? ship to big?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

that scene at the alien crash site was a bit fuzzy (sleeping spells :) )

last i saw robot he was in pieces and smith reassembled him but with no luck. then i see him up and about later

obviously, being near his ship helps to power him back up?

also, did smith help robot/order him to put the jump drive into the jupiter?

i mean, she cant stay on the planet and she does not want to go back to the resolute, at that point the unknown may seem far better an option to her then the less attractive known

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this woman in the vid i think sees things about LISp as I do. others seem to not even have watched it yet did a "review"

one sign that they may have done this? they start out by saying "earth is uninhabitable after a meteor strike (christmas star) and the Robinson's are the first family to leave earth for A.C."

going with that alone, Id guess that they didn't watch it

The way they showed the engine was that it was capable of moving on its own with those tentacles. So I assume the engine from the crashed alien ship pulled itself to the Chariot and hitched a ride and then when it was tossed aside during the fight on the Jupiter 2 it attached itself to the engine. I assume it did the same thing on the Resolute; attached itself to the engine (Maureen designed) and basically amped it up for interstellar travel.

I'm not going to analyze this too much because the writing is really poor and as a viewer I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to figure out what the hell was going on. As it is I'm still confused over the robot fight near the end.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm not going to analyze this too much because the writing is really poor and as a viewer I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to figure out what the hell was going on

well a good thing for tptb's is this confusion allows them to make whatever changes they need to for s2 without it seeming as if there were changes

if a s2, i am guessing smith's strong survivor instinct is going to cause her to have robot side with the rob's and help defend them in hostile space

guessing a run away/chase and evade through space after that. complete with meeting aliens (like TOS) friendly and not

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I feel like rewatching this tonight. :) I need to nail down the details I missed, and get some questions answered.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i am thinking the reason why i am so "interested" in the details, etc, is that I was very happy to see this coming and, while is is a good show, I was hoping for better

it is not very detailed and geared for kids. it watches the same way as reading a pre teen mystery novel= entertaining but shallow

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am thinking the reason why i am so "interested" in the details, etc, is that I was very happy to see this coming and, while is is a good show, I was hoping for better

it is not very detailed and geared for kids. it watches the same way as reading a pre teen mystery novel= entertaining but shallow

RE: The bolded, that is exactly what the first one was as well, but the original one was hokey in a way which made it an oddity among classic science fiction shows. The family Robinson stuck in some unknown locale, being forced to make do with whatever means they can find in an effort to make it home to earth (but not like Voyager). What started out as a somewhat serious show became silly after Dr. Smith and Will became fan favorites and the writing started revolving around Smith and Will and the Robot. And Smith became much less sinister and more a caricature of himself about halfway through Season 1 of the show. The comedy was ramped WAY up.

Of all the reboots/re-imaginings which have been done more recently, this one is actually one which works pretty well. I like the replacement better than the original because it has broken from it's humble roots. The movie version took the original premise, but they made it into an action film and forgot there were human characters in the thing. Forgettable. This series appears to have been better thought out.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This series appears to have been better thought out.

i agree

i just wish that they did (or will) go into even more details

we can forget about the backstory, and the flashback is a lazy way of telling backstories anyhow. they should devote an e to the backstory and then thats it

but the details of stuff occuring "now"

like everytime maureen made some discovery-like when she went up in the balloon--I wanted more science. and mayb e more detail for plausibility

like, i am sure that a jupiter and their chariots did not come equipped with stratospheric capable balloons. especially being rigged up by one person

i appreciate that most 'sci fi' shows dont even have science and at least here an attempt is made, but get into it a bit more. so much of each ep was filled with meaningless shipping and other stuff, there was plenty of room for science. ESPECIALLY if the target is kids, science should have all the room it needs over shipping

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i agree

i just wish that they did (or will) go into even more details

we can forget about the backstory, and the flashback is a lazy way of telling backstories anyhow. they should devote an e to the backstory and then thats it

I would agree, since the backstory is introducing unnecessary elements that we did not need to see. Like the fact that Will failed the Jupiter test and Mommy pulled out her privilege card and fraudulently got him on the trip. He has literally been cast as a Momma's Boy, with her saying she would defend him his whole life. They did need to show why these missions were happening, and they did that. But they also revealed the fact that these missions are elitist and exclusive, and can be manipulated by those who already have access.

but the details of stuff occuring "now"

like everytime maureen made some discovery-like when she went up in the balloon--I wanted more science. and mayb e more detail for plausibility

like, i am sure that a jupiter and their chariots did not come equipped with stratospheric capable balloons. especially being rigged up by one person

I would have to disagree there. It makes perfect sense to include atmospheric balloons, but not ones that would carry a human into the stratosphere. Why would they do that when they can send up cameras? I would also assume the chariots are equipped to sustain it's occupants for at least a week, plus tools to survive and collect resources. However, I would expect them to also be able to take flight, even if just hovering over the ground, when necessary.

I appreciate that most 'sci fi' shows dont even have science and at least here an attempt is made, but get into it a bit more. so much of each ep was filled with meaningless shipping and other stuff, there was plenty of room for science. ESPECIALLY if the target is kids, science should have all the room it needs over shipping

They can go there, and I think they will. But right now, they are giving us basics. In a way, the entire first season is backstory for the premise, with more backstory within for individual characters and the Robinsons and other central characters. They only became "lost" at the end of episode 10.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would agree, since the backstory is introducing unnecessary elements that we did not need to see. Like the fact that Will failed the Jupiter test and Mommy pulled out her privilege card and fraudulently got him on the trip. He has literally been cast as a Momma's Boy, with her saying she would defend him his whole life. They did need to show why these missions were happening, and they did that. But they also revealed the fact that these missions are elitist and exclusive, and can be manipulated by those who already have access.

I would have to disagree there. It makes perfect sense to include atmospheric balloons, but not ones that would carry a human into the stratosphere. Why would they do that when they can send up cameras? I would also assume the chariots are equipped to sustain it's occupants for at least a week, plus tools to survive and collect resources. However, I would expect them to also be able to take flight, even if just hovering over the ground, when necessary.

They can go there, and I think they will. But right now, they are giving us basics. In a way, the entire first season is backstory for the premise, with more backstory within for individual characters and the Robinsons and other central characters. They only became "lost" at the end of episode 10.

idk..i would think that the chariots and the jupiters would be carrying far more pioneering stuff, things needed for starting a new home on a new planet

tools, gardening items, seeds, water filters, food stores, clothing. dont really see the need for every family to do their own MET flights. and doing so would seem very anachronistic in the future. especially since MET flights are not really done any more now in favor of newer tech

but i get it..it fit the plot's need. why do it alone though? seems a hazard not worth taking and she nearly paid for that mistake

--------------------
why just drop the 'hawking radiation' thing?

they didn't even say it, it was in her heads up display.

a way of mentioning science (a science street cred "bomb" :) )without any story involved other then "we got to leave here now"

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Watched the whole season (10 episodes, does that even count as a season??) the other day. Kinda like it so far. Never saw any previous Lost in Space before. Makes it easy to ignore any inconsistencies with previous material.

I guess it's a good thing then that I don't have any plans to.

That's a cute rejoinder but honestly it's not like you have any choice in the matter. Now, you should get serious about studying up for the naturalization test required of all immigrants seeking citizenship (or in your case asylum). The Lost in Space questions appear on the test somewhere after the ones about the War of 1812 but before you have to list the dress sizes for the wives of every single president. For your own sake please hit the books!