Lost in Space on Netflix

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ice planet . Ship freezes instantly along with irritating daughter . Did anyone ever see cold breath coming out of the mouths even effen once ?
:confused0006:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ice planet . Ship freezes instantly along with irritating daughter . Did anyone ever see cold breath coming out of the mouths even effen once ?
:confused0006:

NO! The way the water was freezing was just stupid as hell. No frost breath, their faces would have frozen LONG before that pool of water did. How much of it have you seen? I am on Episode 3 now. They are "Lost in Space", but they have neighbors with their own Jupitr 11, there are flowers and waterfalls and beautiful trees and quaint little brooks (you know, Planet Vancouver). They throw in some odd looking "alien" plant props to make it special, but you are thinking "hey, what's so bad about this place?". And now there are more teens in it than adults. :facepalm: Shortly into Episode three, we have teens fighting over an envelope found on the forest floor (oh, and they are on a path...who made the path?). I'm still watching though.

I am starting to think this is meant to appeal to teens.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They have basically created an Evil Mayberry town on this planet they are on. Now, the crews of at least 3 other Jupiters crashed on the planet (out of at least 12) have joined together and we have a scene with at least 2 dozen more people building a signal tower to contact the space station. There are so many people now, it is a small town's worth. There is a "cute boy trope" for Penny, and they have set that off already. Even the new evil female Dr. Smith has a male counterpart. The only thing Lost In Space is the notion that they are lost!

The flashbacks continue.
The Robot's backstory is an arc itself.
Will was a born loser (but mom has covered him).

Do I still hate the show? Not as much...they have completely created a new show and given it the Lost In Space name and used all the character names and the ship name of Jupiter. They have given the Jupiter name to family ships which were all joined to a giant space station named the Resolute which was ferrying those Jupiters to Alpha Centauri to a colony set up there already. This planet they are on is somewhere between Alpha Centauri and earth. The Robot is an alien, and he is behind the attack on the Resolute. We don't know anything about the aliens who built him but after he was damaged in the crash on the planet, he was damaged beyond repair and Will is th one who saved him which is why they are besties now. The Robot has become his pet, even though it now remembers it's original destroyer mission. It appears to be sentient, and has emotions even though all it can say is "Will Robinson" or "Danger Will Robinson". It has become very protective of the whole family, but especially Will who can evidently control it.

All in all, this is one of those reboots that MIGHT work with a complete reboot like they have done. Why? Because the original Lost In Space never grew a massive fanbase or created a universe worth remembering. The only things memorable from the beginning were the Jupiter 2 and the Robot and Mr Smith. It was a show with a thin premise based on Swiss Family Robinson. This show is nothing like it, but it somehow works...kinda.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It says in the review that there not copying the original in anyway . Huh ... Let me think for a second . So your off to find a new world and keep the human race from going extinct . Uh so who in that group is going to procreate with who huh ? Hmmm . Nice not copying anything from the original . Pretty sure they had the same issue of inbreeding is the only option in the original show . Not a very logical way to keep the gene pool thriving forward .
Guess there going to have to find the crashed frieghter with all the banjo's in cold storage.

Well. the answer to the bolded seems to be all the OTHER Jupiter ships which ended up stranded on this planet. And there is a whole bunch of Jupiters. One of the ones they have hooked up with is the Jupier 11 and their crew. That means that besides the Jupiter 2, there is a Jupiter 1 and 3-10 and probably a 12. Each ship has about 5 to 8 people. Everything happening in the show has to do with stuff going on between these characters.

I am starting to find it...watchable. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had it wrong. This whole 10 episodes was setup for the finale. NOW they are Lost in Space. Overall it was okay. Sticking with it was a good thing. I really hate Smith though.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So they threw in other Jupiters? . Ok ... But was not the original plan to send them all off in any direction to find a new earth ? The procreation becomes an issue again ...So there on there own again ? In the original they had the copilot dude who was I think the oldest sisters boyfriend also . This show does not have that option do they .
;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Why does Will carry a garrote . A weapon to strangle someone to death . I can't understand how a robot designed to destroy the humans just decides not to complete it's mission. It is not plausable . It should have taken Will out on that tree limb . It has 4 arms and could easily have gotten out of the tree on its own and did not need Will to cut the limb with his assasins wire .
I only watched the first episode . They are all too dysfunctoinal and unprofessionaly trained astronauts to be acting the way the do . How did any of them qualify to fly on a Jupiter ?
Sorry ... Not a fan and not going to watch it .
Currently I am rewatching the Expanse for the 3rd time getting warmed up for the new season .

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why does Will carry a garrote . A weapon to strangle someone to death . I can't understand how a robot designed to destroy the humans just decides not to complete it's mission. It is not plausable . It should have taken Will out on that tree limb . It has 4 arms and could easily have gotten out of the tree on its own and did not need Will to cut the limb with his assasins wire .
I only watched the first episode . They are all too dysfunctoinal and unprofessionaly trained astronauts to be acting the way the do . How did any of them qualify to fly on a Jupiter ?
Sorry ... Not a fan and not going to watch it .
Currently I am rewatching the Expanse for the 3rd time getting warmed up for the new season .

You should continue watching. :) You will see how they have trained these families and why they were chosen for Mission 24 (the name of this particular Alpha Centuri colony trip...there are others which came before). Many of the things you see are 3D printed on the ship. The 4-armed robot can reconfigure itself, and when Will saves it and befriends it, the Robot makes the 4 arms into two arms and the red light of his face becomes blue.

I thought this planet was going to be the main setting for the show, but it turns out that the planet all the Jupiters crashed on has a major flaw and is dying quickly (I would have to spoil it). The Jupiters (about 12 of them) which had to leave the space station run into fuel issues, but that problem is solved and they all are able to leave the planet in time including Jupiter 2. Of course, I am skimming over all the crisis scene and specifics. :) At the end of the last episode, an alien ship shows up (because it is trying to retrieve stolen technology the humans have of theirs). A portal opens up in space that the aliens created, and the Jupiter 2 is sucked into it. So, NOW, they are lost in space.

I watched the whole season. After all the twists and turns, the premise now makes sense even though we see a bunch of silly stuff happen and there is lots of forced tension and interpersonal banter. I would still say that it will probably not last because the acting is subpar and the writers try too hard to make it "thrilling". But, it isn't unwatchable like STD or SGU.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So they threw in other Jupiters? . Ok ... But was not the original plan to send them all off in any direction to find a new earth ? The procreation becomes an issue again ...So there on there own again ? In the original they had the copilot dude who was I think the oldest sisters boyfriend also . This show does not have that option do they .
;)

No, what they did was create a space station/ship which has about 24 Jupiters docked to it. It is called the Resolute. The Resolute uses some sort of special engine (which later turns out to be stolen alien technology) to go from earth to Alpha Centauri where there is already an earth colony established. The crews of the Jupiters are in cryo stasis when the Resolute starts it's journey. Halfway to Alpha Centauri, this alien robot shows up on the station and attacks it. That is what caused the 12 Jupiters to undock from the station and crash on the planet they are on for all of the first season. That same alien robot crashes on the planet, but loses it's original programming and becomes Will's best buddy after he saves it and protects all the Robinsons. At the end of the season they all have to leave the planet, and all the Jupiters re-dock with Resolute. The Jupiter 2 is headed for the station at the end of the last episode, but the aliens return and open a portal to somewhere else in the universe and the Jupiter 2 is sucked in.

One thing about this show, is that you have to toss ALL of the stuff from the original. Nothing remains of the original show in this show except the names of characters in the Robinson family and the Jupiter 2. Even Dr Smith is not really a doctor, nor is her name really Smith. She stole the real Dr Smith's identity and he was a psychologist on the Resolute. There was briefly an updated robot which looked like the original robot (first episode only), but this guy messed with it and told it to destroy the Jupiter 2 16 hours into the mission. It looked like the original Robot, only updated. But they ended up destroying that Robot. Looks like the new Robot will be the character which replaces the old Robot. This is a whole different show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If the weather stays crappy like it is now , I will try another watch .
Thanks for the reviews OM1
;)

I does get better. You get to know the characters, and it becomes interesting. This particular re-imagining of a series might be the only one which works. Even though it is totally unrelated to the original other than a few things.

Okay, I managed to watch the rest of the episodes. It definitely gets better several episodes into the season. And the FX are very good. It's obvious they spent a lot of money on sets and FX and cast. It was visually pleasing in many ways.

Now for the "bad". Typical of Netflix the series ran too long. 10 episodes should have been whittled down to 8. There was nothing gained by having it run as long as it did. Also, the show couldn't decide what it wanted to be -- a kids show ala Will Robinson, a teen show ala Penny and Judy or an adult show ala the mom and dad (who are painfully boring). Because of this schizophrenia the show never really settles on a single tone. (I'm sure some people will argue it is the perfect blend of all three styles.)

Other stuff that's bad would have to include the lousy premiere episode with parts of the second episode and less of the third included in with that assessment. In short the first episode was horribly written and goes a long way towards turning you off to even watching the show in its entirety. Terrible episode, simply terrible.

I didn't fast forward through much but I was bored silly by the scenes with John and Maureen (the parents). Their personal issues were insultingly trite and tedious and not worthy of examination. Seriously, they are not an appealing couple.

As for additional nitpicking, the story tended to jump from scene to scene and it was confusing at times. You had to figure out for yourself what happened in some spots. This wasn't a huge issue but it was noticeable. And an annoying thing was that the characters perpetually get themselves into life-threatening situations every single time they make a move. Every. Single. Time. When Maureen went up into the balloon to check things out they had to have her get in trouble in a stupid way. Same thing with every scene for everyone: go on a quest, face danger, succeed. Shampoo, rinse, repeat repeat repeat. It was very predictable in every situation.

One thing that really was tedious was that the characters were endlessly running from point A to point B. The running back and forth never stops. There's always something going on in some other location that they have to get to in a chariot which just happens to drive and ride smoothly as if it's on rails as opposed to rolling over the surface of a raw planet. :rolleye0014:

Another thing I didn't quite understand was the robot fight near the end. What the hell was going on there? Why didn't they explain it better? Did I miss something??? And wtf was going on with the harpoon? John's explanation of its use didn't make sense. Where was Don at that point? :daniel_new004:

Regarding Judy being black, I had no problem with it. I don't think it was too SJW or PC especially because they didn't make a big deal about it. As for Parker Posey, I'm generally not a fan of her work but she managed to capture the essence of a psychopath/sociopath expertly. Maybe it was method acting, who knows? She did a good job of playing a creepy nutjob though. (She reminded me of my sister-in-law who has Borderline Personality Disorder, even down to the crazy look in the eyes and the patronizing tone to the voice. I shudder just thinking of the accuracy in the portrayal of someone so warped.) Posey's acting wasn't over the top or exaggerated, it was subtle in its darkness. She did a good job and I have to give her credit for that.

At any rate, the show is watchable as long as you remember it's based on a show that was really hokey to begin with. Visually it's definitely worth a watch and the story, for the most part, is okay as long as you don't demand scientific and literal accuracy. But as a good, mindless romp it's fun.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well from that revue Puss just confirms my wish not to watch it .
Thanks for the info .
:)

I think he has made you a case FOR watching it there! Like he and I both said, it gets better. I agree with him that Season 1 could have been only 8 episodes, but the 10 is okay. Pacing in this is decent, but the damned crisis-a-thon is annoying as hell. It's like Murphy's Law has gone nuts for EVERYONE in the show, every day all day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I managed to watch the rest of the episodes. It definitely gets better several episodes into the season. And the FX are very good. It's obvious they spent a lot of money on sets and FX and cast. It was visually pleasing in many ways.

Now for the "bad". Typical of Netflix the series ran too long. 10 episodes should have been whittled down to 8. There was nothing gained by having it run as long as it did. Also, the show couldn't decide what it wanted to be -- a kids show ala Will Robinson, a teen show ala Penny and Judy or an adult show ala the mom and dad (who are painfully boring). Because of this schizophrenia the show never really settles on a single tone. (I'm sure some people will argue it is the perfect blend of all three styles.)

Other stuff that's bad would have to include the lousy premiere episode with parts of the second episode and less of the third included in with that assessment. In short the first episode was horribly written and goes a long way towards turning you off to even watching the show in its entirety. Terrible episode, simply terrible.

I didn't fast forward through much but I was bored silly by the scenes with John and Maureen (the parents). Their personal issues were insultingly trite and tedious and not worthy of examination. Seriously, they are not an appealing couple.

As for additional nitpicking, the story tended to jump from scene to scene and it was confusing at times. You had to figure out for yourself what happened in some spots. This wasn't a huge issue but it was noticeable. And an annoying thing was that the characters perpetually get themselves into life-threatening situations every single time they make a move. Every. Single. Time. When Maureen went up into the balloon to check things out they had to have her get in trouble in a stupid way. Same thing with every scene for everyone: go on a quest, face danger, succeed. Shampoo, rinse, repeat repeat repeat. It was very predictable in every situation.

One thing that really was tedious was that the characters were endlessly running from point A to point B. The running back and forth never stops. There's always something going on in some other location that they have to get to in a chariot which just happens to drive and ride smoothly as if it's on rails as opposed to rolling over the surface of a raw planet. :rolleye0014:

Another thing I didn't quite understand was the robot fight near the end. What the hell was going on there? Why didn't they explain it better? Did I miss something??? And wtf was going on with the harpoon? John's explanation of its use didn't make sense. Where was Don at that point? :daniel_new004:

Regarding Judy being black, I had no problem with it. I don't think it was too SJW or PC especially because they didn't make a big deal about it. As for Parker Posey, I'm generally not a fan of her work but she managed to capture the essence of a psychopath/sociopath expertly. Maybe it was method acting, who knows? She did a good job of playing a creepy nutjob though. (She reminded me of my sister-in-law who has Borderline Personality Disorder, even down to the crazy look in the eyes and the patronizing tone to the voice. I shudder just thinking of the accuracy in the portrayal of someone so warped.) Posey's acting wasn't over the top or exaggerated, it was subtle in its darkness. She did a good job and I have to give her credit for that.

At any rate, the show is watchable as long as you remember it's based on a show that was really hokey to begin with. Visually it's definitely worth a watch and the story, for the most part, is okay as long as you don't demand scientific and literal accuracy. But as a good, mindless romp it's fun.

You summed it up nicely. Especially....

And an annoying thing was that the characters perpetually get themselves into life-threatening situations every single time they make a move. Every. Single. Time. When Maureen went up into the balloon to check things out they had to have her get in trouble in a stupid way. Same thing with every scene for everyone: go on a quest, face danger, succeed. Shampoo, rinse, repeat repeat repeat. It was very predictable in every situation.

When any of the Robinsons are in one of these crises, there is no real tension because you already KNOW they will never kill off a Robinson. Like the time they were sunken in the tar in the Chariot, and they decided that Maureen was going to take the suit and then leave John to die in the tar. Just as he was about to open the hatch and flood the chariot with tar and allow Maureen to escape, she miraculously comes up with the balloon idea and they both escape. Why the tar in the first place?

You summed it up nicely. Especially....

When any of the Robinsons are in one of these crises, there is no real tension because you already KNOW they will never kill off a Robinson. Like the time they were sunken in the tar in the Chariot, and they decided that Maureen was going to take the suit and then leave John to die in the tar. Just as he was about to open the hatch and flood the chariot with tar and allow Maureen to escape, she miraculously comes up with the balloon idea and they both escape. Why the tar in the first place?

Yeah the tar scene was lame and tedious. I fast forwarded through it. I had already reached the point where I knew the dramatic problem they faced was just filler. Scenes like that are very boring and don't add to the sense of believable peril. It was clear the writers were operating on a "insert dramatic action scene here" template every couple minutes in the script. I don't care for that type of writing but I understand in a show like this it's to be expected.

I can't help but wonder how much Netflix spent on producing this show. It had to be a lot of money. You can tell just by watching it. No idea if they will green light a second season though. Since they're spending money like drunken sailors they might renew it before the budget crash happens. And we all know that's going to happen at some point.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
They just raised the subscription to $14 Canadian from $11 . That's how there gonna pay for this crap ...
If my son did not use netflix lots, then I would cancel the dam thing .
:tealcanime23:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Lol but the Expanse starts tonight so we have the best Sci-Fi show on TV again so the lost fools in space can wait a while from my viewing wrath ,,,
;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the travelling, the environmental challenges, the seeking out other ppl/ships

i get far more of an EARTH2 feel from this then LIS; TOS