Lost in Space on Netflix

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That's a cute rejoinder but honestly it's not like you have any choice in the matter. Now, you should get serious about studying up for the naturalization test required of all immigrants seeking citizenship (or in your case asylum). The Lost in Space questions appear on the test somewhere after the ones about the War of 1812 but before you have to list the dress sizes for the wives of every single president. For your own sake please hit the books!
Books? How old-school! Books are bad for the environment you know.

Books? How old-school! Books are bad for the environment you know.

0d48f594e7ab6564d0b71d71d250ab22--library-quotes-library-humor.jpg

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Very interesting new take on the old series. I am moving past epi 6. The name Resolute and the cairn dedicated to the 27 settlers who died in the attack remind me of the expeditions sent out to find the Franklin Expedition of 1845?.

The series can be explained in one word.

Friends.

1 - Friends.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maureen was on the design team for the resolute. so given the age of her kids and the depth of settlement already on AC, and the fact that the crashed alien ship with the engine on it was that "christmas star" thing that was supposedly a meteor having happened when her kids were near the age they are now. having the alien tech is fairly new to them then

then i am guessing other ships made the journey before with some other type of drive system that established the colony

of course with a much longer journey time

**and, we see the jupiter 'jump' away at the end. the alien engine has jump drive, so why didn't the resolute use that to jump to AC from the start? ship to big?

Maybe the alien engine was only part of a whole drive system? Even at twice the speed of light, a ship would take at least two years to just get close. Alpha Centauri is 4.36 light years from earth.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I remember Maureen mentioning they could only go something like 256,000 miles per hour. The guy she was talking to seemed really coy like he knew something totally different and tried to kiss her off.

17 - A Christmas Star.png

I must of blinked because I did not see the star go under the chariot. But the Robot came from behind and the little ball of fun showed us that it can move

16A - Power Up.jpg

11 - Xmass star under chariot.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the alien engine was only part of a whole drive system? Even at twice the speed of light, a ship would take at least two years to just get close. Alpha Centauri is 4.36 light years from earth.

That's where the writing failed in giving us a clear understanding of what exactly happened. Maybe season 2 will go more in depth on that score.

This is what the writers really need to explain better. When you think about it the travelling distance for light years is monumental. Usually scifi fans ignore this fact so that they can enjoy the show/movie. But this show puts the issue of light speed/hyperspace travel at the forefront, then goes on to ignore explaining it properly.

Granted, this is LiS so I don't expect scientific perfection, but they could definitely make the backstory less convoluted and confusing.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I don't know if this makes any difference but the Doctor Smith threw her helmet onto the stairs and the helmet did not float - suggesting there was gravity in outer space. I am thunking that the "Star" has an anti-gravity capacity, or that it can open up a black hole, or that the binary star system was actually hidden from view similar to how the Andromeda TV series ended with the hidden Tarn-Vedra solar system re-appearing.

But this show puts the issue of light speed/hyperspace travel at the forefront, then goes on to ignore explaining it properly.

Maureen mentioned the Hawkins radiation, suggesting it only occurs when a planet sits in the presence of a black hole.

Were here.jpg

Anyways, not a bad 11 hours to waste. Hopefully the next batch won't take that long.

Last edited:
Anyways, not a bad 11 hours to waste. Hopefully the next batch won't take that long.​

Yeah, it turned out much better than I thought it would to be honest. They produced it quite well. My biggest gripe is with the uneven writing in spots, but I can live with that. It was a fun romp so season 2 should be good too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anyone else notice the model of TOS Robot in Will's room?

nice touch

YES! Did you notice that Bill Mumy himself played the real Dr. Smith that the false one (Parker Posey) stole from him on the Resolute in the first episode? :)

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
YES! Did you notice that Bill Mumy himself played the real Dr. Smith that the false one (Parker Posey) stole from him on the Resolute in the first episode? :)

Wow, I thought he looked familiar, but I was thunking he was one of those non-descript local actors.

In any case it appears he is still having a good life and at only 64 he might have many more years to go.

Speaking of "Lennier", if anyone is forking out for Amazon Prime, or whatever, there is a chance that you will be able to see "Babylon - 5" starting in mid June.

Wow, I thought he looked familiar, but I was thunking he was one of those non-descript local actors.

In any case it appears he is still having a good life and at only 64 he might have many more years to go.

Speaking of "Lennier", if anyone is forking out for Amazon Prime, or whatever, there is a chance that you will be able to see "Babylon - 5" starting in mid June.

I'm thinking of signing up for Amazon Prime. This would be cool.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm thinking of signing up for Amazon Prime. This would be cool.

bab 5 has been on there for rent/purchase of THE ENTIRE SERIES

so, if it becomes available for prime members, that alone would make me join.... probably one of the best shows of any genre IMO

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
bab 5 has been on there for rent/purchase of THE ENTIRE SERIES

so, if it becomes available for prime members, that alone would make me join.... probably one of the best shows of any genre IMO

Za'ha'doom to you brother. Greatest sci-fi show ever. Greatest band of actors/ characters ever. So enjoy. A little dated, but, hey.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Za'ha'doom to you brother. Greatest sci-fi show ever. Greatest band of actors/ characters ever. So enjoy. A little dated, but, hey.

hey, without looking it up--cause i am not, and i honestly cant remember his name :) -- what is the name of the squirrel guy down on the planet below them/near them who is in charge of running the machine there?

been a long while since i watched this, all i remember is that guy was a good character and obv a good actor behind it

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
hey, without looking it up--cause i am not, and i honestly cant remember his name :) -- what is the name of the squirrel guy down on the planet below them/near them who is in charge of running the machine there?

been a long while since i watched this, all i remember is that guy was a good character and obv a good actor behind it

I believe there were something like 12 Xathros-s-s, if that was the guy's name. I loved the third and sixth (Z)xathros characters. As was with half if not more than half of the actors there was a huge loss of actors over the years. I don't think his name was Jesse James but he died in a motor cycle crash in what seems like ten years back.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I believe there were something like 12 Xathros-s-s, if that was the guy's name. I loved the third and sixth (Z)xathros characters. As was with half if not more than half of the actors there was a huge loss of actors over the years. I don't think his name was Jesse James but he died in a motor cycle crash in what seems like ten years back.

yes!! that was it Zathros..didn't he talk a bit like Yoda?

First thing I thought of was Mark Frankel from Kindred: The Embraced. He died in a motorcycle crash back in 96. It was a shame. I loved that show.