Lost in Space on Netflix

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
There a dysfunctional family in space . The father seems to hate everyone and has no emotions. The mother seems to hate everyone and has no emotions. The oldest daughter seems to hate everyone and has no emotions . The next daughter seems to hate everyone and has no emotions . The boy kid seems to have no emotions and also no emotions . The robot has emotions tho . It has a very strange feel to it . Like none of them even knew each other before they got on this flight and there on this flight because earth was toast .
It keeps doing that flip back in time before the flight and really kills the flow of the story by constantly giving you irrelevant moments from before the flight .
Thank goodness we have The Expanse to watch because this thing is not making me want to watch it .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am doing a binge. OMG this is such a fail. The effects are top notch but the acting and writing is horrid. Way too much interpersonal drama. And the completely different premise and tone is just not Lost in Space. The first episode, all thought of the original gets thrown out the window. Too many changes. Too many faux crisis situations and forced suspense. No fun.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yeah, it's bad. I just watched the first episode. Horrible writing and cringy acting. The FX are good but that's about it.

Be warned that whoever wrote this show has no understanding of grade school science and physics. They literally don't know how ice forms. It's truly bad writing.
I am doing a binge. OMG this is such a fail. The effects are top notch but the acting and writing is horrid. Way too much interpersonal drama. And the completely different premise and tone is just not Lost in Space. The first episode, all thought of the original gets thrown out the window. Too many changes. Too many faux crisis situations and forced suspense. No fun.
It's because it's been rushed out the door to meet demands. You are going to get glossy reviews from paid shills but this is the price we pay with stuff like netflix and hence why I don't see their business model being sustainable. It takes time and a lot of effort to make a great tv series. These guys have just slapped together a series because they got paid a ton of cash. Yeah, this company stinks and their management are terrible at decision making. Netflix has been having a lot of fails lately and too many. I'll be surprised if this is going to get a second season but hey the actors/writers don't give a shit they got their money so they've done destroying another franchise. Then they'll move onto another one to wreck and shit all over.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This Dr Smith woman is a psychopath. Creepy and no fun. The Robot is even saddled with an evil past. The humor they have in it is awkward and forced. *Groan*

Yeah I don't know if I will bother watching another episode or not. I'm not like raging with disgust over this show as much as I feel boredom and disinterest towards it, which to me is much worse. How sad that I have gotten conditioned to not be disappointed because I don't get my expectations up in the first place.

At any rate, LiS is just more proof that Netflix is indiscriminately burning cash. What a horrible business model. It can't be sustained forever.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I don't know if I will bother watching another episode or not. I'm not like raging with disgust over this show as much as I feel boredom and disinterest towards it, which to me is much worse. How sad that I have gotten conditioned to not be disappointed because I don't get my expectations up in the first place.

At any rate, LiS is just more proof that Netflix is indiscriminately burning cash. What a horrible business model. It can't be sustained forever.

I will admit, bringing back the original format was not an option. Of the classic space series, Lost In Space was basically Swiss Family Robinson in Space. This new one is way more mature and sophisticated, but the changes they have made to the characters was heavy-handed and not really cool.

The new Robot is an alien machine now? And he was originally an assassin-bot who was rebooted after the alien ship crashed. Still, it remembers it was killing people on the Resolute space station before the crash. It could always revert back to it's original purpose (hello future plot device!). The Jupiter robot started out by destroying the stuff in the ship after launch, and last I saw it Will told it to go to it's bay and shut down. So, it's in the ship somewhere powered down and they are concentrating on the new alien bot. Judy is now an adopted black girl, and Dr Smith (now a woman) is just a straight up psychopath murderer and she needs to be shot AND burned and then dissolved in acid. She is not even a Doctor! The mother Maureen calls all the shots in this show, with John the father just being a castrated drone taking orders from her. Penny is just an airhead teen, who actually brought some sort of cellphone with her on the trip (really?). Judy asks her "who are you gonna call on that thing?" (hello future plot point 2!).

They have decided to change the premise to be that the Jupiter 2 was part of a fleet of Jupiters and that another Jupiter crashed on the same planet as they did, giving them the opportunity to pick up yet more characters like Smith. The other Jupiters could easily show up later in the series as being crashed or they find the Jupiter 2, and each one of those Jupiters offers an opportunity to add new characters or to replace anyone they kill off.

My issue with the show is that EVERYTHING becomes a crisis. The ship is sinking into the ice. People get caught in cave-ins, equipment fails, storms damage stuff, blah blah blah snore.

Last edited:
I will admit, bringing back the original format was not an option. Of the classic space series, Lost In Space was basically Swiss Family Robinson in Space. This new one is way more mature and sophisticated, but the changes they have made to the characters was heavy-handed and not really cool.

The new Robot is an alien machine now? And he was originally an assassin-bot who was rebooted after the alien ship crashed. Still, it remembers it was killing people on the Resolute space station before the crash. It could always revert back to it's original purpose (hello future plot device!). The Jupiter robot started out by destroying the stuff in the ship after launch, and last I saw it Will told it to go to it's bay and shut down. So, it's in the ship somewhere powered down and they are concentrating on the new alien bot. Judy is now an adopted black girl, and Dr Smith (now a woman) is just a straight up psychopath murderer and she needs to be shot AND burned and then dissolved in acid. She is not even a Doctor! The mother Maureen calls all the shots in this show, with John the father just being a castrated drone taking orders from her. Penny is just an airhead teen, who actually brought some sort of cellphone with her on the trip (really?). Judy asks her "who are you gonna call on that thing?" (hello future plot point 2!).

Thy have decided to change the premise to be that the Jupiter 2 was part of a fleet of Jupiters and that another Jupiter crashed on the same planet as they did, giving them the opportunity to pick up yet more characters like Smith. The other Jupiters could easily show up later in the series as being crashed or they find the Jupiter 2, and each one of those Jupiters offers an opportunity to add new characters or to replace anyone they kill off.

My issue with the show is that EVERYTHING becomes a crisis. The ship is sinking into the ice. People get caught in cave-ins, equipment fails, storms damage stuff, blah blah blah snore.

Yeah copying the original series wouldn't have worked. It was far too juvenile and ridiculous. But this incarnation is ridiculous also. The attempt to be dramatic and get us to care about the family dynamics seems forced and it falls flat. I don't care one iota about the failing marriage of the Robinson parents. Watching people argue over personal issues is boring, especially in a scifi setting.

I also find the constant flashbacks to be annoying. The slow burn of explaining why they're in space is tedious. I don't need to see the mom and daughter shopping for Christmas gifts. I don't need to see the mom bitch at the dad to sign the consent forms for them to go into space. I don't need to see Judy and Will having a bonding moment over the chance that he might not be approved to go into space. We know he will because he's Will Robinson and is integral to the story.

And they could have introduced Dr. Smith much, much better. Of course I know they are going to explain her with a bunch of stupid flashbacks. Oh joy. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah copying the original series wouldn't have worked. It was far too juvenile and ridiculous. But this incarnation is ridiculous also. The attempt to be dramatic and get us to care about the family dynamics seems forced and it falls flat. I don't care one iota about the failing marriage of the Robinson parents. Watching people argue over personal issues is boring, especially in a scifi setting.

I also find the constant flashbacks to be annoying. The slow burn of explaining why they're in space is tedious. I don't need to see the mom and daughter shopping for Christmas gifts. I don't need to see the mom bitch at the dad to sign the consent forms for them to go into space. I don't need to see Judy and Will having a bonding moment over the chance that he might not be approved to go into space. We know he will because he's Will Robinson and is integral to the story.

And they could have introduced Dr. Smith much, much better. Of course I know they are going to explain her with a bunch of stupid flashbacks. Oh joy. :rolleye0014:

All of that, and why the hell did they add in the part about Will not passing the test for the mission and being denied flight, then his mother and adopted sister basically cheat and get him a fradulent pass? The whole "test to go on the mission" thing was unnecessary. All it did was make will an undeserving recipient of dishonesty from his family. How the hell did Penny pass? Why were we spending a single minute giggling over a pack of Oreo cookies? This Smith character they created, wtf? She is TOO psychotic. Far beyond that of being just a sleazy baddie like the original. This Smith is a homicidal psychopath.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I will go through the episodes and finish my binge, because like you I am not exactly raging with disgust over the show. It isn't nearly as revolting as Star Trek Discovery and that is still true. One good thing while I am watching, is that I am not seeing any easter eggs thrown around from the original. This LiS is a clean break, and they are showing us that they do not care to be associated with the original premise or show. They have used the characters and name of the ship, but that's pretty much it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The father seems to hate everyone and has no emotions.

surely tptb's will blame that on his being a soldier :(

and BTW, just how did they make so many babies when it was stated " your father is nearly never here and when he says he will be here, he isn't" or words to that effect

and, i dont care what color/ethnicity anyone is, but i think some kind of explanation is in order to tell us why one daughter is different.

maybe they did say it? IDK, fell asleep mid way through 1st ep. woke up-rewound it and then stopped about the 32 minute mark of ep 1

and the flashback thing to tell the story

that's a method of storytelling that is getting old and it only worked in some shows

to me, it is just a lazy way to tell two point of time's stories from one plotline. time saver, money saver--lazy

BUT i will give it another shot. just about done with SUPERNATURAL's last netflix available season (S12)
----------------------------------------------------------------
going to give TROY-fall of a city a shot as well

the same Homeric story as Pitt's TROY but this one is told from the religious perspective of the original story wheras Brad Pitt's was a secular version of it. a production of the BBC and NF

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Write up in the Toronto star gave it a great review .
Guess they were not watching the same piece of garbage I was watching .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It says in the review that there not copying the original in anyway . Huh ... Let me think for a second . So your off to find a new world and keep the human race from going extinct . Uh so who in that group is going to procreate with who huh ? Hmmm . Nice not copying anything from the original . Pretty sure they had the same issue of inbreeding is the only option in the original show . Not a very logical way to keep the gene pool thriving forward .
Guess there going to have to find the crashed frieghter with all the banjo's in cold storage.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One of the things about this show after episode 3 is that you realize one big fat idiotic issue: They are not actually LOST in space. They see at least two Jupiter ships, one crashed and one of them functional and inhabited by a Japanese family who landed safely on the same planet (hello neighbors!). On that ship we see a map which shows at least a dozen more of them fairly close together on this planet. Not only that, but their comm system is now working and they can communicate with the Resolute space station they launched from. They have even put their Jupiter in "expansion mode" (like an RV) which makes it more like a house for them. They literally went from being buried under a glacier to being in a beautiful sunny forest in LESS THAN ONE MINUTE by flying through crashing ice and falling chunks of glacier collapsing around them. :facepalm: They make it through the ice, then about 20 seconds later after a brief flight, they are in a lovely green forest with no ice in sight and they set down (this is on the same planet btw)

One of the things about this show after episode 3 is that you realize one big fat idiotic issue: They are not actually LOST in space. They see at least two Jupiter ships, one crashed and one of them functional and inhabited by a Japanese family who landed safely on the same planet (hello neighbors!). On that ship we see a map which shows at least a dozen more of them fairly close together on this planet. Not only that, but their comm system is now working and they can communicate with the Resolute space station they launched from. They have even put their Jupiter in "expansion mode" (like an RV) which makes it more like a house for them. They literally went from being buried under a glacier to being in a beautiful sunny forest in LESS THAN ONE MINUTE by flying through crashing ice and falling chunks of glacier collapsing around them. :facepalm: They make it through the ice, then about 20 seconds later after a brief flight, they are in a lovely green forest with no ice in sight and they set down (this is on the same planet btw)

I think I gave up on this turd when the ice froze in a matter of seconds, trapping Judy. How does that much water freeze instantly while the air is warm enough for them to go around without even hats on? :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think I gave up on this turd when the ice froze in a matter of seconds, trapping Judy. How does that much water freeze instantly while the air is warm enough for them to go around without even hats on? :rolleye0014:

Every 5 minutes there is some sort of crisis. The ship sinks. The ice freezes Judy, then eels start eating the fuel, crates trap Judy, the glacier starts collapsing, and we get a scene right out of 2012 with chunks of glacier crashing down from above while the Jupiter 2 flies like the Millenium Falcon dodging them. Then, the triumphant bursting through that last chunk which would have sealed them in. :facepalm:. But wait! 20 seconds later, they are landing in a beautiful forest. Shortly after that, they are in their Space Van on a road trip where they meet their new neighbors from the Jupiter 11. There is WAY too much of that in this show. It's like the first episodes of SGU where everything was going wrong. Thing is, who is invested in any of these characters enough to care what happens to them at this point? I won't get started on the Robot yet, but wtf?

Every 5 minutes there is some sort of crisis. The ship sinks. The ice freezes Judy, then eels start eating the fuel, crates trap Judy, the glacier starts collapsing, and we get a scene right out of 2012 with chunks of glacier crashing down from above while the Jupiter 2 flies like the Millenium Falcon dodging them. Then, the triumphant bursting through that last chunk which would have sealed them in. :facepalm:. But wait! 20 seconds later, they are landing in a beautiful forest. Shortly after that, they are in their Space Van on a road trip where they meet their new neighbors from the Jupiter 11. There is WAY too much of that in this show. It's like the first episodes of SGU where everything was going wrong. Thing is, who is invested in any of these characters enough to care what happens to them at this point? I won't get started on the Robot yet, but wtf?

OMG. :facepalm: