Lost in Space on Netflix

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
(you know, Planet Vancouver).

If I see the lake/swamp topography that served in different shows as--- Kobol (BSG), the Goa'uld origin pond/ lake (SG1), the lake where those who wanted to stay on the 'constructed planet' (SGU), some random lake where some scene went down (SUPERNATURAL) as well as being used in several other shows for other reason, I ma going to begin thinking that Vancouver is indeed quite limited in its wild and empty spaces

also.. those empty paved roads that are clearly a part of some old housing development or industrial park are also quite well worn and used for scenery as well

first saw it in JEREMIAH, saw it again in SG1 (ep where they went after Seth and his cult/missing girl). and again in anything from SPN to TRAVELLERS

do they really have NO OTHER OPTIONS for these shoots?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
some of the details in this are irksome:

they have high speed commo devices on their arms, yet in the Chariots and in the Jupiter, they have talk through an accordion wired handset mike or through a wall panel

they make reference to-what should be at that time, long outdated things--- snail mail (they did though, in convo mention that) and having forgotten a compass on a trip in Italy. really? no cell ph with GPS or mapquest?

and, did i miss it...and i admit, it is very nit picky on my part, is Judy adopted? He she only a child of one of the parents? is she an "addition" to the family for the mission?

On episode 5 (i think) where they find why they cant commo with the RESOLUTE ship in space

again, maybe i missed it, but in the flashbacks, all i have seen is people walking about the RESOLUTE and not on their assigned JUPITER ships. If the incident on the RESOLUTE happened so fast, how did they get from wherever they were, into their flight suits and then onto their assigned ships? We see 'smith' was in interrogation when the incident took place, how did she get out and to Don's ship and have time to change her clothes?

another flashback no doubt

---------------
and, STILL getting that EARTH2 (possible Clancy Brown's best work outside of HIGHLANDER AND spongebob squarepants! :) ) vibe from the plot so far. we even have native life forms coming up out of the ground like in E2

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
geez..just pull the fuel trailer all the way over and it won't leak so fast....how could ppl with so little common sense possibly have passed a battery of tests to go to alpha centauri?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and, did i miss it...and i admit, it is very nit picky on my part, is Judy adopted? He she only a child of one of the parents? is she an "addition" to the family for the mission?

ok..answered

she is maureen robinson's child pre marriage

glad they cleared that up!! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this show is SOOOOOO PG 13. to the point of being a bother over it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this show is SOOOOOO PG 13. to the point of being a bother over it

BUT, I see that you are watching it, aren't you? :) Same thing happened to me. I found myself bingeing it until there were no more episodes to watch. I kinda like this show...

BUT, I see that you are watching it, aren't you? :) Same thing happened to me. I found myself bingeing it until there were no more episodes to watch. I kinda like this show...

Yes, it becomes watchable after you get past the horrible premiere episode. It's still hokey like the original series was and there are huge plot holes and logic vacuums but that's okay.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it becomes watchable after you get past the horrible premiere episode. It's still hokey like the original series was and there are huge plot holes and logic vacuums but that's okay.

like why does Don say he had been back and forth to alpha centauri yet in flashback, we see the rob's speaking as if it is a one way trip only?

then, in the last ep, they make it seem as if travel to A.C. is only possible due to the 'stolen engine' on the RESOLUTE when Don says there are many ppl there already who want stuff like his smuggled whiskey. And, their mission number is 24, so...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
for me, it will be another "dear abby von netflix" type of show

the types you want to hate and think them hokey yet are watchable if sometimes irritating

like why does Don say he had been back and forth to alpha centauri yet in flashback, we see the rob's speaking as if it is a one way trip only?

then, in the last ep, they make it seem as if travel to A.C. is only possible due to the 'stolen engine' on the RESOLUTE when Don says there are many ppl there already who want stuff like his smuggled whiskey. And, their mission number is 24, so...

From what I gathered the Resolute was ferrying people to A.C. on a regular basis but it was a one-way trip for the passengers. Unless of course you were found out like Dr. Smith was and then they would most likely ship you back for prosecution (they even referred to that happening).

As for the stolen alien engine, they could have been using that for awhile before the aliens found them on one of the AC runs and tried to retrieve it. We don't know because the writing is vague and confusing on this point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

For the Robinsons, it IS a one way trip. That is true of all of the families who go to Alpha Centauri, from what I learned from the show. Families have to pass tests to even get on one of those missions, and it is understood to each that it is a one way trip. For all we know, each trip includes a space ferry like the Resolute, carrying 24 Jupiters which each become a habitat on Alpha Centauri after landing expanding the hull. Then, perhaps the ferry is dismantled for materials?

At the point where we are at the end of the first season, none of that will really matter except they will be doing the "let's find our way back home!" thing which is the premise of the show. They took all of Season 1 to become lost, giving us the backstory and developing the characters before starting their journey back. I kinda appreciate that they did that, because all we had before this show was the old show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From what I gathered the Resolute was ferrying people to A.C. on a regular basis but it was a one-way trip for the passengers. Unless of course you were found out like Dr. Smith was and then they would most likely ship you back for prosecution (they even referred to that happening).

As for the stolen alien engine, they could have been using that for awhile before the aliens found them on one of the AC runs and tried to retrieve it. We don't know because the writing is vague and confusing on this point.
carrying 24 Jupiters which each become a habitat on Alpha Centauri after landing expanding the hull. Then, perhaps the ferry is dismantled for materials?

if they are one way trips, then what was Don talking about? Apparently his profession is pilot/mechanic. What is he a member of that goes back and forth to earth?

In a flashback we see where Maureen was a leader/on the RESOLUTE design team. Like it is some kind of new ship made after a colony had been established. Remember she asked why her team wasn't informed of the -unknown to her-alien engine?

And can they make these engines or are they just using the stolen one? If they can't make more, then I would think the RESOLUTE would be used for more then one trip.

We heard June and Penny talking about living qtrs on A.C.. They were wondering if they were going to stay in the Jup. or move to the housing already built. That was when June said she would be living at the medical facilities

But yeah, doesn't matter now. We know where they ended up-the robot's homeworld/system. The story is as much about robot as anything/one else---Robot is 'lost' as well

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
God bless Canadian Netflix for another bladder blasting series where you think you can watch the whole series in 1 or two sittings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
if they are one way trips, then what was Don talking about? Apparently his profession is pilot/mechanic. What is he a member of that goes back and forth to earth?

In a flashback we see where Maureen was a leader/on the RESOLUTE design team. Like it is some kind of new ship made after a colony had been established. Remember she asked why her team wasn't informed of the -unknown to her-alien engine?

Watch it again. :) Maureen is an engineer with a Ph.D. in engineering. That means she is not part of the Command structure and would not be privvy to any stolen technology. Don never said he goes back and forth from earth to Alpha Centauri, He might just be doing his runs in the Sol system. It isn't something you should be hanging up on. :)

And can they make these engines or are they just using the stolen one? If they can't make more, then I would think the RESOLUTE would be used for more then one trip.

It's stolen. There is a backstory on these aliens which we have not seen yet, and somehow an engine was stolen and evidently the robot was sent to retrieve it. Those same aliens are responsible for the Jupiter 2 being sucked into the portal. Also, we already know the Resolute and all the other Jupiters are now out of the picture. I don't know about you, but I am happy with how they set up being lost in this show. :)

We heard June and Penny talking about living qtrs on A.C.. They were wondering if they were going to stay in the Jup. or move to the housing already built. That was when June said she would be living at the medical facilities

But yeah, doesn't matter now. We know where they ended up-the robot's homeworld/system. The story is as much about robot as anything/one else---Robot is 'lost' as well

We know those aliens can make it to the Resolute, so maybe it will be them who the Robinsons have to either work with or steal from to get back to with Alpha Centauri or the Resolute or earth. That will likely be more than one season since they are supposed to be doing Lost in Space, not Rescued and Safe. :)

I distinctly recall them asking Don West what the A.C. colony was like which means that he had been there before. Again, from what I understood he is a crew member that goes back and forth to ferry colonists to their new home. Besides, even if this was the first shipment of colonists they had to have gone to A.C. before that to check it out for being a viable planet and to set up some basic infrastructure for the colonists, so maybe he was part of that crew.

We know those aliens can make it to the Resolute, so maybe it will be them who the Robinsons have to either work with or steal from to get back to with Alpha Centauri or the Resolute or earth. That will likely be more than one season since they are supposed to be doing Lost in Space, not Rescued and Safe. :)

I think you're right in that they are poised for another season as long as Netflix is still spending freely. And I'll definitely be interested in watching it even with Parker Posey as a cast member. :icon_lol:

*She did a good job of playing a psychopath. I can't help but wonder if they will pair her with Will the way they did in TOS. If you remember TOS Dr. Smith and Will Robinson (and the robot) were often the main focus of the episodes in the later seasons. I'm pretty sure the other cast members got a little pissed for being marginalized in the story.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think you're right in that they are poised for another season as long as Netflix is still spending freely. And I'll definitely be interested in watching it even with Parker Posey as a cast member. :icon_lol:

*She did a good job of playing a psychopath. I can't help but wonder if they will pair her with Will the way they did in TOS. If you remember TOS Dr. Smith and Will Robinson (and the robot) were often the main focus of the episodes in the later seasons. I'm pretty sure the other cast members got a little pissed for being marginalized in the story.

Well, imo, Bill Mumy and Jon Harris were the best actors in the show hands down

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Anyone else notice the model of TOS Robot in Will's room?

nice touch

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don never said he goes back and forth from earth to Alpha Centauri,

he acknowledged he had been to AC a few times times after Maureen asked him "hey you've been there afew times, A.C.,what's it like?" in ep 4 when they were searching the crashed part of the resolute... not hung up on it, but,like Puss says, it is the writing that is a bit disconnected here and there

and yes, I know the engine is stolen. but do the humans know how to build more or is the one in the RESOLUTE the only and original one?

I asked that in response to your comment that the RESOLUTE may be on a one time mission. I would think if that is the only alien engine then it would be more often then once. And did the RESOLUTE have any security on board? I mean, you steal something from an alien society and you just may want to be prepared if they come to claim it back