Star Trek: Picard

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I have been wondering if when Q told Soong "i have something I need you to for me" it was more than just stop Renee?

like maybe:

create the Borg nanites-- as in take them from Jurati as she may have no way of distributing them as she has no Borg hardware in her? In his Q way he knows that she has always been the Borg Queen, so.. this is his ask of Soong, him being a geneticist/ mad scientist and all

to fit the timeline of the Borg having existed in Delta quadrant species databases for so long, Q could have easily snapped an adapted Jurati- Queen back in time and space appropriately, to fit that description he gave of the Borg in Q Who? A description, we know see, he has made to his order?

of course, Trek purists would cry all kinds of foul above and beyond what they already have! :)
Hmmm.... interesting.... But then, Q being a seemingly all-powerful being, why would he need someone to create nanites for him? It seems the only thing Q is not able to manipulate is free will.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
By the way, look at us discussing new Star Trek stuff! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm.... interesting.... But then, Q being a seemingly all-powerful being, why would he need someone to create nanites for him? It seems the only thing Q is not able to manipulate is free will.
maybe Q cannot create, only mimic what already exists?

IDK... what I DO KNOW is that once again I find that we are thinking far more than any TPTB are :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Interesting. Maybe there were concerns that Sir Patrick would not make it if they waited another year to shoot. Or that there might be further lockdowns preventing shooting.
they did this with SW's ANDOR show as well

probably a mix of actor and set scheduling and covid

with picard, defi longevity of Stewart or just his ability to act- yeah

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was wondering about the name Adam Soong. Was there ever an Adam Soong before on Star Trek? Could it be that he changed Adam to Noonian, or that it was already his second name?

Memory Alpha mentions that there was an Arik Soong in the 22nd century who was a criminal geneticist, and that Noonian Soong was a descendant from him.
IDK...

but other than the IRL fact they used Spiner to play all the SOONGS for just-- "because"- are they all just some type of line of clones

with other ST families we see diff actors playing ancestors, so why is just Spiner playing every Soong?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
IDK...

but other than the IRL fact they used Spiner to play all the SOONGS for just-- "because"- are they all just some type of line of clones

with other ST families we see diff actors playing ancestors, so why is just Spiner playing every Soong?
But this picture (taken from https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Noonian_Soong) does not appear to be Brent Spiner.

1649497204771.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Gaius Baltar is in Star Trek now.
This episode was a whole lot of side-track and not a lot of progress in the story. Shame.
That doesn't mean I wasn't intrigued by it though.
The show is good, but this episode stalled the story for me.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Gaius Baltar is in Star Trek now.
This episode was a whole lot of side-track and not a lot of progress in the story. Shame.
That doesn't mean I wasn't intrigued by it though.
The show is good, but this episode stalled the story for me.
yes a lot of filler

James Callis was the best part,also a nice touch he played a "head creature" :) wonder if that was by intent?

anyhow-- got more questions

so Q and the Q are even less of what/who we thought they were? they just be summoned by a kind of 'dog whistle'?

treating Picard with 21st century medicine-- but he is a 'Android' , isn't that Dr smart enough to have discovered that something was not right?

why would the 'stabilizer' beamed to use on Picard work? It is set to work on gamma waves from a human brain not on a positronic brain

IDK, there's more, i should write them down when i am watching, thinking its just lazy writing and not overt not caring

---------------------
and the issue with the Watcher- Tallinn, or it could be anyone, the thing with these new Trek shows is that new characters of consequence have no depth

they just get plopped on us-- "hey i am the watcher, tallinn.. yeah, i'l raise my eyebrows when you say gary 7, but i aint got no more to say on who, what where or why cause TPTB's never thought out my character beyond face value"

not a deal breaker, just disappointing. in a show like Picard designed more around characters than the story, you'd think tptbs would of put MORE effort to the character details and backgrounds-- like HOW did Tallin get recruited to become a watcher? by who? How does she know Guinan? How does she travel? How does Guinan travel for that matter?

still good though, hoping strange new worlds is more like this and NOT like STD

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
SNW needs to be totally unlike either STD or this. It needs to be optimistic, episodic and have actual relatable characters with some sort of charisma.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SNW needs to be totally unlike either STD or this. It needs to be optimistic, episodic and have actual relatable characters with some sort of charisma.
thats not what i was talking about

i mean not sjw drivel like STD is

PICARD is watchable despite your distaste of it, STD? I cant get through 6 minutes of it

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
The biggest thing that bothers me is that he is an android with his consciousness, but they always still make a point to how frail he is. I get that he choose to appear in this elderly form, but Data never seemed frail , yet Picard does. I know this is due to the limitations of using an actor at such an advanced age, but it still feels off.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The biggest thing that bothers me is that he is an android with his consciousness, but they always still make a point to how frail he is. I get that he choose to appear in this elderly form, but Data never seemed frail , yet Picard does. I know this is due to the limitations of using an actor at such an advanced age, but it still feels off.
Even though he is an Android, it is still a frail body, because that's what Picard wanted. This was established at the end of season 1. Go back and rewatch that.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Regarding my previous comment on this episode being a filler, I suppose that's what it looks like to me, because when I'm watching the show I'm expecting to see adventures. It dawned on me however that the show is called Star Trek: Picard for a reason. That reason being that it is focused on the character of Jean-Luc Picard. So, the show is not meant to be an exploration of space. It's meant to be an exploration of the persona of Jean-Luc Picard. I'm guessing that's also what Sir Patrick Stewart wanted and is the reason he agreed to do the show. If you look at this episode from the perspective of exploring the Picard character, then it's not really a filler, but the other episodes are more filler.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Regarding my previous comment on this episode being a filler, I suppose that's what it looks like to me, because when I'm watching the show I'm expecting to see adventures. It dawned on me however that the show is called Star Trek: Picard for a reason. That reason being that it is focused on the character of Jean-Luc Picard. So, the show is not meant to be an exploration of space. It's meant to be an exploration of the persona of Jean-Luc Picard. I'm guessing that's also what Sir Patrick Stewart wanted and is the reason he agreed to do the show. If you look at this episode from the perspective of exploring the Picard character, then it's not really a filler, but the other episodes are more filler.
He said he wanted to appear like this, I don't think that means he's body has to be weak, that is just way too convenient.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
He said he wanted to appear like this, I don't think that means he's body has to be weak, that is just way too convenient.
Yes, it does. Because the whole point was that Picard didn't want to extend his life indefinitely. He wanted to remain as close to human as possible. Giving him an android body that isn't frail would basically extend his life indefinitely. So, that explains things.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it does. Because the whole point was that Picard didn't want to extend his life indefinitely. He wanted to remain as close to human as possible. Giving him an android body that isn't frail would basically extend his life indefinitely. So, that explains things.
Even though he is an Android, it is still a frail body, because that's what Picard wanted. This was established at the end of season 1. Go back and rewatch that.
this is funny/// HOW far apart are you sitting away from each other on the couch? It cannot account for THIS much of a difference in perspective! :) :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yes this i remember

like going to a used car lot and saying --->> " I want a "new car" not a new- new car, but new to me.. and so close to blowing its engine and dropping its transmission, that I won't be able to wander far off with it. One so crappy that it reminds me daily of the limitations of my old car. You got one like that on the lot?" :)