Star Trek: Picard

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Casting Wil Wheaton was payback I think for him being possibly the biggest NuTrek shill out there. The funny thing is he USED to have a lot of geek cred but things like taking the wrong side in Gamergate, hanging with Anita Sarkeesian (a con artist) and relentless wokeness torched his credibility.
so.. pity casting? :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
More like he BEGGED to be in the show.
so i know you are not that into these shows, but looking at it objectively, his character being reintroduced is really just a big nothing, isn't it?

it was good exit for him in the 80's and a good "feed the guy something" now bit part, yeah?

no impact on the plot-- again, objectively speaking?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It was confirmed that Star Trek Picard season 3 will feature the return of much of the cast from Star Trek The Next Generation including LeVar Burton Michael Dorn Jonathan Franks Marina Sirtis Gates McFadden and Brent Spiner. Star Trek Picard season 3 is shaping up more to be the final chapter for Star Trek The Next Generation and offer a more fitting end to the characters than Star Trek Nemesis. Sadly this emphasis on the old crew means there is no space for the new characters of Star Trek Picard.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I don't have any issues with Wesley being brought on as a Traveler. He was not my favorite character on TNG for sure, but I like the actor himself, he was great on TBBT and it does ring true as something that could happen in the future for his character's cannon.
I think the show is still finding itself and as long as a few of the main characters remain, it might not be a bad things for a change of some of the characters. The show is called "Picard" so really, that is the only character that needs to remain. If they bring the Wesley character onboard as a traveler we could be looking at many more time travels eps both to the past and the future.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was stupid.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well Season Two had possibly the dumbest writing i have seen since the SGU days...

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Its funny, they used the Traveler in TNG to get rid of Wil Wheaton from the cast (IMO). Suddenly, he is swept away into an alternate existence and his mother just lets him do it and its done. POOF! He's gone. Essentially he is doing the same thing wit Isa Briones, and POOF she is gone. Reliable sources tell me that the reason so many cast members are leaving is because they need to pay the TNG actors and there is not enough cash. S3 is the last season.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Season 3 sl+

ated for February.
I have discussed S3 with Robert Meyer Burnett and a few others over at Twitter, and he describes it as "Season 8 of TNG". I find that extremely dubious, given that Terry Matalas is the sole showrunner. He was the showrunner of S2 as well, which was absolutely awful IMO. Worf is a pacifist? How is he on this show, and why is Seven of Nine or Raffi on the ship? Why is there an Enterprise F, and why is it the one from the Star Trek Online game? I am not going to waste my time on this. The TNG cast will destroy the characters they had no hand in creating.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Season three starting this Thursday! :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So Picard Season 3 premiered Thursday. Initial thoughts:

- Better written in general. The characters from TNG also felt closer to their actual TNG selves.

- The Titan looks nice from the outside as did spacedock.

- Not insulting to Trek fans like the last 2 seasons

On the other hand...

- ANOTHER mystery box story.

- Literally too dark. So far the only NuTrek show not to have the ship interiors lit like some Gothic horror set is Strange New Worlds. What is their problem with lighter tones of color?

- Raffi is there. Why wasn't she also gotten rid of?

This series is supposed to be a big improvement, but being serialized there is no way to tell after one installment. Time will tell.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
- Literally too dark. So far the only NuTrek show not to have the ship interiors lit like some Gothic horror set is Strange New Worlds. What is their problem with lighter tones of color?
isn't the "dark mode" with ALL of these sci fi/ fantasy type shows on TV all just attempts- whether TPTBs are even aware of it or not any longer, of mimicking NuBSG?

we saw it with SGU and with CAPRICA, which although was BSG realted did not require the "darkness". I think just about every other show as well has been doing this