Star Trek: Picard

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched the first ep. Thought it was good. Very clearly meant to pluck at the heartstrings of TNG fans. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. I wonder how much time passed between season 2 and 3. Seven is a first officer now. How did that happen? Wasn't she out of Starfleet in the first two seasons?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just watched the first ep. Thought it was good. Very clearly meant to pluck at the heartstrings of TNG fans. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. I wonder how much time passed between season 2 and 3. Seven is a first officer now. How did that happen? Wasn't she out of Starfleet in the first two seasons?
Last seasons, Picard gave her a Field Commission, apparently to the rank of Commander She is probably one of th emost qualified people inthe galaxy to RUN Starfleet at this time due to all of her experiences

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's okay so far. The REAL thing is the existence of this really makes shows like STD look bad.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode two, not bad! Best season of Picard yet. Of course, the show is carried by the familiar characters from TNG. Without them, the show wouldn't amount to much as it is. Loved Worf's entrance. Also love the credits music, which (as I guessed correctly) comes from First Contact. Well, part of it anyway.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Watched EP 1, its ok. can do with out the SF intel thing, they never really did that well with that stuff except in ENTERPRISE.

with the "dark theme" filming, anyone notice not only are all the sets dark, but do they look smokey too? Not talking about just Crusher's ship either (phaser fire, etc)

almost like all the sets had incense burning on them or something

holding out for more eps to drop before I watch again.. you think we will see the "neo Borg" any more?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode three. Quite good! This is shaping up nicely.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I knew it!!!!

I had guessed to hubby before the reveal that this show's secrets will lean heavily into ALL ST previous shows canon. I wonder if this mean certain other ST shows actors might do some cameos as well!!
This is a cool little easter egg for the fans that watched all the old shows as well as all the new shows.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Oh, my, god. Picard season 3 is by FAR the greatest of what we've seen of the new Star Trek shows. Perhaps part of the reason is that it's been a long time since there was good Trek, but I am honestly blown away. Hats off to Terry Matalas for turning the ship around and pulling this off. What's been missing from the new shows is the comradery and togetherness of the crew. The infusion of all the old characters from TNG instantly brings all that back. At the same time, the show is molded into a modern non-episodic format. It works! I think part of the reason the new shows have been having a hard time finding their footing is that there's just not enough episodes being produced. With the old shows, we got about 26 episodes per season, and lord knows there were stinkers, yet even still, every episode is a little piece of character development and crew development. Strange New Worlds has the potential to achieve this, however there just aren't enough episodes being produced. Discovery technically has had enough episodes, but they haven't managed to build the characters and crew properly. I so wish there would be more Star Trek: Picard after this season is done! But before the season is over and done with, I think we've got a hell of a surprise in store for us. Can't wait!

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree, this was the best new Trek ep yet. I love the latest easter egg in this one. We still have quite a bit of mystery about the future of the storyline, but they are filling in just enough to keep you really on the edge of your seat for more. The characters are just so fully developed and they mesh so well together. I feel like Seven is a perfect match for the TNG gang. I am not so sure many of the others would have worked as well. We have the added balance of being on paramount + where you evidently can have the greatest ST captain of all time use the mother of all cuss words, but it did not feel forced.

I was surprised that they even managed to redeem the jackass captain of the Titan as well. I enjoyed the scenes with him and Seven when you could just see him getting it and accepting his own acknowledgement of his own misdirected rage. The actor played out those scenes to go from me hating him to understanding and respecting him.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yes! They so redeemed the asshole captain Shaw! It was brilliantly done too. The scene where he unleashes his rage about Wolf 359 and directs it at Picard. Then the realization. Wonderful. And getting to see Patrick Stewart shout FUCKING on TV was a gift as well. So unexpected. It wasn't necessary either. But it worked. I think as an old man who lived a long life of hard work and sacrifice, it is allowed to yell FUCK at least once.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I forgot to mention Picard's son. That actor also did a terrific job in this episode. And the writers/producers played him off Picard very well.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree, this was the best new Trek ep yet. I love the latest easter egg in this one. We still have quite a bit of mystery about the future of the storyline, but they are filling in just enough to keep you really on the edge of your seat for more. The characters are just so fully developed and they mesh so well together. I feel like Seven is a perfect match for the TNG gang. I am not so sure many of the others would have worked as well. We have the added balance of being on paramount + where you evidently can have the greatest ST captain of all time use the mother of all cuss words, but it did not feel forced.

I was surprised that they even managed to redeem the jackass captain of the Titan as well. I enjoyed the scenes with him and Seven when you could just see him getting it and accepting his own acknowledgement of his own misdirected rage. The actor played out those scenes to go from me hating him to understanding and respecting him.
the actor who plays the TITAN CPT was also in the series 12 monkeys, played a great character in that. wish he was in more stuff

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
few things--

1- i like this season much better then the others as well, its just more like Trek instead of some dying old man's bucker list adventures of S1 and 2

2- I think its way too early to bemaing calls on viewership ESPECIALLY GIVEN the fact that - who watches shows as soon as the come out anymore?

I am sure a decent number of people do, but if someone who is still tied into cable or satellite- live TV- does not have a choice and needs to pick between something they want to watch on live TV (maybe sports?) or something they can watch on demand, I know what I would do.

and yes, many live shows are available on demand, but usaully not until a later date

3- tied to that, I think far more people than research may capture, especially surveys, wait and binge. At least to get a few eps in at a time.

Its what I do.

So, DISCOVERY has more popularity than PICARD?

1- I think the info he is looking at is giving him all time viewership and not what any single episode of DISCOVERY had on its premiere night? Right?

2- I would concede that there are probably more, and younger viewers who do not know (or care) about "the lore" of Trek and its fairly unbreakable line from PICARD to TOS as per STARFLEET, Uniforms, Ship capabilites, how Klingons look, etc.

therefore, they are more attracted to sparkly, shiny and yes "woke" ST-D. Its up with IRL changes and has about ZERO roots in ST Lore

hence the higher views?

either way, there is still STRANGE NEW WORLDS, which I think has an appeal to both ST-D and Standard Trek audiences? So, maybe that can generate enough viewership for paramount (and the international broadcast partners this guy speaks of) interested in keeping Trek funded

@Quetesh @Lord Ba'al @Joelist @Overmind One
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2-BIUKGbk

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
me too

1678731698657.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
on TITAN we have basically the most two qualified persons in SF aboard; PICARD- as android, who holds all of his SF knowledge and whatever knowledge he had as Locutus of the Borg

we also have Seven, ALL of the knowledge of the Borg up to her disconnection along with all of her acquired knowledge of SF

toghether, they should know a lot about many things drawing on those data bases

and WHAT do the TPTBs have them do in the tight situations?

serve drinks and tell tales while the other hunts for a shapeshifter

their MASSIVE power and knowledge we have been told they both possess is now.. nothing?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Maybe Seven lost a lot of that Borg stuff over time. Maybe just coz she got old. Picard's Android was specifically made to be old and feeble.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Maybe Seven lost a lot of that Borg stuff over time. Maybe just coz she got old. Picard's Android was specifically made to be old and feeble.
just like she lost Chakotay? an issue also not discussed

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Chakotay just disappeared when she inexplicably became a lesbian and took up with a drug addict.