Star Trek: Picard

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, one of the reasons I don't post in this thread or the other Star Trek threads is because I don't like ANY of the Kurtzman Trek shows. I will watch Lower Decks because I see it as 100% parody and then I can watch and appreciate the memberberries. But I can;t stand Picard, Discovery and I will not like Strange New Worlds or Prodigy because of the context and framing of those shows. SNW will use an alternate Enterprise, an alternate bridge and a smiling, illogical Spock who they are probably going to make gay if the latest news is valid. I would just intrude on the good stuff many of you are saying about the shows.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, one of the reasons I don't post in this thread or the other Star Trek threads is because I don't like ANY of the Kurtzman Trek shows. I will watch Lower Decks because I see it as 100% parody and then I can watch and appreciate the memberberries. But I can;t stand Picard, Discovery and I will not like Strange New Worlds or Prodigy because of the context and framing of those shows. SNW will use an alternate Enterprise, an alternate bridge and a smiling, illogical Spock who they are probably going to make gay if the latest news is valid. I would just intrude on the good stuff many of you are saying about the shows.
What about Prodigy? I am not digging lower decks it's too fast for me too many things happening. Call me a time worn person but I like slow things.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Prodigy we don't know enough about yet. It is obviously aimed at kids but may be watchable as Kurtzman is not involved in it directly.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since this thread was started. Anyway, Picard is back! Watched the first episode of season 2 the other day. It's promising But there's something about this show that I find depressing. The show seems to have a certain focus on his age, and let's face it, Sir Patrick is quite up there and looks it too. While I'm watching the show, it makes me rather aware of my own mortality and aging and that of my parents and loved ones. I'm only just over half Sir Patrick's age, so hopefully I'll still have a long way to go, but you never really know. This perspective and feeling is not something one would expect from a Star Trek show, I think. But is it a bad thing? I don't know. Maybe I find it depressing now, but later on my perspective might change and I'll find comfort in it instead. I can't help but constantly compare the old Picard to the younger Picard though. I look forward to what's to come. The Borg are back and perhaps badder than ever before. We shall see.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since this thread was started. Anyway, Picard is back! Watched the first episode of season 2 the other day. It's promising But there's something about this show that I find depressing. The show seems to have a certain focus on his age, and let's face it, Sir Patrick is quite up there and looks it too. While I'm watching the show, it makes me rather aware of my own mortality and aging and that of my parents and loved ones. I'm only just over half Sir Patrick's age, so hopefully I'll still have a long way to go, but you never really know. This perspective and feeling is not something one would expect from a Star Trek show, I think. But is it a bad thing? I don't know. Maybe I find it depressing now, but later on my perspective might change and I'll find comfort in it instead. I can't help but constantly compare the old Picard to the younger Picard though. I look forward to what's to come. The Borg are back and perhaps badder than ever before. We shall see.
i found it "ok"

definitely FAR MORE WATCHABLE than 'DISCO' :)

Going to guess right now that the Borg taking over the fleet and auto destruct is a Q thing

also, going to go out on a limb and say that the masked borg queen is some version of Seven

nitpick-- i want them to show a klingon to see if they are still of the same appearance or have been changed to the DISCO look -- how do they synch up that issue?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gotta admit I have been so buried in work I haven't been watching tons of series - I was able to binge Peacemaker but that was about it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Thankfully, the second episode didn't give me the sense of depression I described in relation to the first episode at all. It's a pretty big twist that happened. I'm not sure I like it. Actually, I'm leaning towards not liking the twist. I hope it will be reverted in the next episode, but I fear that this twist will drive the arc of the entire season. It could also become a journey through various realities. I don't want to give any spoilers for those who have yet to watch the episode, but I can't find much to say about it anyway.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have now seen the first eps of season 4. I have to say this season so far is much better than STD this season.
This show feels more like the level of subtle preaching, which has always been the case of ST and totally tolerable.

The plot itself is much more interesting, and feels more like ST movie IV than I have seen in a long time which is not a bad start, but time will tell

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I keep waiting for the SJW shoe to drop, and given that they are in 2024 which just happens to be the year of the next presidential election I am not expecting subtlety here.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I really liked episode 4. Having to wait until the next episode is released sucks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I really liked episode 4. Having to wait until the next episode is released sucks.
I am so sorry I can't feel this joy with you for this show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am so sorry I can't feel this joy with you for this show.
I have to agree - they lost me last year with the DARK tone, bloody dismemberment of Icheb, lesbian Seven and a plot that made literally no sense.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
again, i don't mind this show, at least its watchable. i can't watch more than 5-10 mins of discovery

at least PICARD is familiar

but some issues over and above some of you purists i know have

not even going to get into the time issues and how some people should already know each other from previous time travels

but--

how does 7 know how to drive a car? i mean, i could cut some slack if she had at least grown up on earth and had some exposure to "archaic" earth auto's, but she didn't.. how does she even know what each pedal does? what the "D" means?

and well, i'll just stop there, as the most of the rest no one will care or just say either "lazy writing" or "you care too much"

and the rest of the issues are with the time travel

and haven't we seen "watchers" in Trek before? maybe TNG or TOS? wasn't Gary7 connected with them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to agree - they lost me last year with the DARK tone, bloody dismemberment of Icheb, lesbian Seven and a plot that made literally no sense.
again, i don't mind this show, at least its watchable. i can't watch more than 5-10 mins of discovery

not even going to get into the time issues and how some people should already know each other from previous time travels

but--

how does 7 know how to drive a car? i mean, i could cut some slack if she had at least grown up on earth and had some exposure to "archaic" earth auto's, but she didn't.. how does she even know what each pedal does? what the "D" means?

and well, i'll just stop there, as the most of the rest no one will care or just say either "lazy writing" or "you care too much"

and haven't we seen "watchers" in Trek before? maybe TNG or TOS? wasn't Gary7 connected with them?
Yeah, I am kinda on the other side of the aisle with this show and I don't want to throw a lot of negativity in the thread! I will say that unlike you, I find this show unwatchable. I am glad yo are liking it. I have accepted that this NuTrek has an audience.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gary Seven could be thought of as a "watcher".

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

but--

Seven could have learned about cars in the past from the Borg database. Or from Tom Paris' old-timer project, or holodeck programs. Or perhaps Seven has a uniquely intuitive familiarity with machines, given that she is part machine herself. Take your pick.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Seven could have learned about cars in the past from the Borg database. Or from Tom Paris' old-timer project, or holodeck programs. Or perhaps Seven has a uniquely intuitive familiarity with machines, given that she is part machine herself. Take your pick.
does she still have access to the database?

wait why would the Borg have that knowledge in the first place? even if they assimilated a human with that knowledge it would surely be judged as unneeded to the Collective being such old tech.