Star Trek: Picard

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, that's the 80s for ya.
apparently Scheinder was big time not only in the Fed Rep of Germany, but in the BENELUX nations as well

so says her WIKI page :)

the other woman, first time i heard or saw her, but when i saw her pic, she immediately reminded me of Vanessa Carlton

which brings up two things:

that the randomness of appearances in people is not so random

and

the Industry has a certain type it picks over and over and over

1650304995556.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Add it to other things like Picard saying Starfleet never before had psychologists (I think Counselor Troi would be interested in that), Guinan having not met Picard before despite Time's Arrow and forgetting Ten Forward was named thus because of where it physically was on the Enterprise and it again shows no one in the writers room knows about or watched TNG...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Who's in the mood to add some of their biological and technological distinctiveness to our own?

Lol. I gotta say, I really liked this episode. Much better than the previous one. There was a lot going on.

I got to liking the Guinan character as well. In this show I mean. I already liked the character in TNG.

It seems Spiner is getting a significant amount of screen time in the show. Not a bad arc. His "daughter" ran off. Sure that'll go somewhere.

Q didn't get enough screen time on the other hand. Not too thrilled with his arc.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Who's in the mood to add some of their biological and technological distinctiveness to our own?

Lol. I gotta say, I really liked this episode. Much better than the previous one. There was a lot going on.

I got to liking the Guinan character as well. In this show I mean. I already liked the character in TNG.

It seems Spiner is getting a significant amount of screen time in the show. Not a bad arc. His "daughter" ran off. Sure that'll go somewhere.

Q didn't get enough screen time on the other hand. Not too thrilled with his arc.
so what is it? 2 more episodes?

best of this ep for me was the acting of Jay Karnes. he played the FBI agent

its like TPTB's just said to him "you remember how you played Dutch Wagenbach in THE SHIELD? Yeah, do that here"

too much interpersonal stuff for me in this EP,, made use of the FF :)

so, is Kore (if she lives) going to be the (or an) instigator of the Eugenics Wars? Those have not really been addressed to meet our modern timeline yet and clearly, from the looks of the 2024 they are in, have not happened on that Earth

the Eugenics Wars seem to be a favorite of Q, he kind of led with that in the 'prosecution' of Picard and Humanity in Encounter at FARPOINT

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Be careful, you're assuming anyone in the writers room has any knowledge of Trek. So far this season it seems no one has any such knowledge given the numerous continuity errors.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Be careful, you're assuming anyone in the writers room has any knowledge of Trek. So far this season it seems no one has any such knowledge given the numerous continuity errors.
idk, i see backstory potential building for things like the Eugenics wars, Borg Origins

not really satisfied with it all being "EARTHS FAULT" when it comes to things like Borg Origins if it does play out that way-- kind of a stand in for the IRL 'blame america crowd'

but than, Jurati was infected by the Queen, so its kind of a chicken and egg thing if thats where they are going

other than the Guinan issues with not remembering Picard / not accepting the explanation TPTBs gave for this, which continuity issues are you speaking of? not arguing, just asking

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Let it go man. This is not a continuation of the shows from the 80s and 90s. It's a new show. So pointing out continuity errors is sort of pointless. Assess the show on its own merits. Are there any continuity errors within the show itself?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Let it go man. This is not a continuation of the shows from the 80s and 90s. It's a new show. So pointing out continuity errors is sort of pointless. Assess the show on its own merits. Are there any continuity errors within the show itself?
you cant just 'let it go' entirely. they are using plot line. idea and characters derived and continued FROM those old shows, so they MUST adhere to what has been established

they can add to but not take away

i think there is much to add given the nature of how little/how shallow so many of the old ancillary characters were in TNG/TOS- like GARY 7, who Q really is/are? . The Watchers, The Soong family drama and of course the Borg backstory

the biggest glaring issue i see is how does Guinan not know Picard given TIMES ARROW? Many ppl online in trek groups and Chats do not accept the explanation given- that being this Guinan, as is clear to see, is a younger Guinan that has somehow, travelled further ahead in time that an older Guinan had in Times Arrow

that 'somehow' part...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
idk, i see backstory potential building for things like the Eugenics wars, Borg Origins

not really satisfied with it all being "EARTHS FAULT" when it comes to things like Borg Origins if it does play out that way-- kind of a stand in for the IRL 'blame america crowd'

but than, Jurati was infected by the Queen, so its kind of a chicken and egg thing if thats where they are going

other than the Guinan issues with not remembering Picard / not accepting the explanation TPTBs gave for this, which continuity issues are you speaking of? not arguing, just asking
Out of respect for Lord Ba'al's request I will put the running tally of continuity errors in a separate thread.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One thing I liked in the last episode I saw was Jurati consuming car batteries to try to convert the elements into crude nanobots to enable the Queen to do some form of assimilation - that actually worked. It felt Borg and sort of like "what will Borg do without access to any of their usual tech"?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, there's a new borg in town. A new kind of borg I mean. The borg are gonna be good now. Making friends across the universe like good little borgs. I gotta say, it was not an ending to that arc I was expecting. Of course, the borg being good can be turned around at any moment for any reason, so it's not like it has to be permanent. Maybe it's somehow actually a necessary step on the journey of the borg as a species. They start out good, then get corrupted by experiences of contacts with other species that aren't on the same wavelength. Betrayal turns the borg into untrusting and malevolent beings. And then the circle is complete.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well they have one episode to make all their plotlines converge and wrap properly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well they have one episode to make all their plotlines converge and wrap properly.
and start a whole new one; what's on the other side of that hole?

hmmm.. seems.. derivative of.. what's that hit show that just finished?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, there's a new borg in town. A new kind of borg I mean. The borg are gonna be good now. Making friends across the universe like good little borgs. I gotta say, it was not an ending to that arc I was expecting. Of course, the borg being good can be turned around at any moment for any reason, so it's not like it has to be permanent. Maybe it's somehow actually a necessary step on the journey of the borg as a species. They start out good, then get corrupted by experiences of contacts with other species that aren't on the same wavelength. Betrayal turns the borg into untrusting and malevolent beings. And then the circle is complete.
come on now, i think we talked about this after EP 1?

that we KNEW due to the mask on the Queen, that it was either 7 or Jurati? Or else, why the mask? its not to hide the identity from the characters but from us, but its not hard to figure out, and the fact that Alison Pill looks a lot like the original actress(es) who played the Queen, kind of sealed that assumption for me way back while awaiting Ep2 :) it was just a matter of how and why she became her

also that she was stunning and not killing everyone

as for the "good Borg"? ahh,, something about this concept of the "Evil Redeemed" that is parallel to some kind of IRL SJW thing going on these days (sorry it CANNOT BE AVOIDED @Overmind One ) that TPTB's just cannot leave alone. can't put my finger on it just yet

and Q? what? he just needed a hug? Maybe he should of checked into a Galactic Hospice? What?

just who was responsible for what; Jurati as BQ or Q? Q brought them back in time and BQ Jurati brought them to that spot in space for First Contact, but did Jurati and Q conspire?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and what about " Wesley Ex Machina"

is this just a pity casting for Wil Wheaton or is it going somewhere?

if it is going somewhere, then what of the Augments that Kore has the plans to? Is Will there to ensure she sees it through or to stop it?

stopping it would change earth's timeline so much that we may never get shook from our current path and therefore NEVER have the incentive to develop warp...

so, I am going with pity casting :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Casting Wil Wheaton was payback I think for him being possibly the biggest NuTrek shill out there. The funny thing is he USED to have a lot of geek cred but things like taking the wrong side in Gamergate, hanging with Anita Sarkeesian (a con artist) and relentless wokeness torched his credibility.