Who is asking for driveless cars?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you don't want Google snooping on you and you want Android the easiest way on your phone is to buy one whose bootloader allows flashing of ROMs, wipe the resident Android OS and replace it with one of many ROMs built off of AOSP that have the Google parts removed. XDA is a major repository for such ROMs:

https://forum.xda-developers.com

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
As long as they're fully electric cars the pollution at least won't be where the cars are driving, which is a REAL benefit.
you do realize that most of the electricity created & used today is NOT "green", right? It was either a nuclear plant or a coal plant that created that energy! ;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
you do realize that most of the electricity created & used today is NOT "green", right? It was either a nuclear plant or a coal plant that created that energy! ;)
Hence why I said "where cars are driving".

I walk along a busy road from time to time and the air pollution generated by the cars is absolutely disgusting. At least electric cars don't pollute the air in the living environment as such. And electricity can and will more and more be generated in cleaner ways.

Hence why I said "where cars are driving".

I walk along a busy road from time to time and the air pollution generated by the cars is absolutely disgusting. At least electric cars don't pollute the air in the living environment as such. And electricity can and will more and more be generated in cleaner ways.

Why do you automatically assume that fossil fuels and combustion engines can't be improved to "burn" cleaner? They already have been exponentially over the past 60 years. Gasoline used to contain lead but it no longer does. Fuel efficiency has greatly improved. You literally go farther on a gallon of gas than your parents did.

As for the "absolutely disgusting" air pollution you experience while walking down a road in Ireland I have a hard time believing it's that bad. Granted, it's your experience and I can't discount it entirely, I just tend to wonder how bad it really is over there. The last I checked Ireland was not Los Angeles, a place in which the heavy air pollution has vastly improved over the decades.

Additionally Rac was making the point that fossil fuels are either going to be used to directly fuel automobiles or they will be used to fuel local power plants. The BTU's generated from fossil fuels far exceed those generated by wind or solar. A power plant using alternative fuels is a hell of a long way away from being able to power an entire city including the electric cars in everyone's garage.

(*I feel the need to point out the contradiction of an admitted cigarette smoker complaining about air pollution from automobiles. You've even had the temerity to complain about vaping which is highly innocuous compared to cigarette smoke. I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here dude, but are we really supposed to take your argument against car exhaust seriously when you voluntarily choose to jam a cancer stick in your mouth and directly foul your lungs on a daily basis? Yeah, clearly the problem is car exhaust. :rolleye0014:)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Why do you automatically assume that fossil fuels and combustion engines can't be improved to "burn" cleaner? They already have been exponentially over the past 60 years. Gasoline used to contain lead but it no longer does. Fuel efficiency has greatly improved. You literally go farther on a gallon of gas than your parents did.

As for the "absolutely disgusting" air pollution you experience while walking down a road in Ireland I have a hard time believing it's that bad. Granted, it's your experience and I can't discount it entirely, I just tend to wonder how bad it really is over there. The last I checked Ireland was not Los Angeles, a place in which the heavy air pollution has vastly improved over the decades.

Additionally Rac was making the point that fossil fuels are either going to be used to directly fuel automobiles or they will be used to fuel local power plants. The BTU's generated from fossil fuels far exceed those generated by wind or solar. A power plant using alternative fuels is a hell of a long way away from being able to power an entire city including the electric cars in everyone's garage.

(*I feel the need to point out the contradiction of an admitted cigarette smoker complaining about air pollution from automobiles. You've even had the temerity to complain about vaping which is highly innocuous compared to cigarette smoke. I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here dude, but are we really supposed to take your argument against car exhaust seriously when you voluntarily choose to jam a cancer stick in your mouth and directly foul your lungs on a daily basis? Yeah, clearly the problem is car exhaust. :rolleye0014:)

So obvious you're trying to bait me into defending myself while there's no reason for it. It must be eating you that I gave you a rebuttal the other day the likes of which you aren't used to. :P

So obvious you're trying to bait me into defending myself while there's no reason for it. It must be eating you that I gave you a rebuttal the other day the likes of which you aren't used to. :P

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing is eating at me and I am not trying to bait you into anything. I'm not sure what cognitive problem you're having right now but this is a discussion board; the point of it is to have discussions on various topics. Responding to your posts here isn't baiting, rather, it's participating in the proper function of this site, i.e. discussion.

On a personal note I have to point out that you seem to be the one who is being "eaten" here; your comments proving a classic case of projection. You're projecting beliefs about me that have no basis in reality so clearly that means that you are the one experiencing that internal pressure, that feeling of being "eaten". Quite frankly I don't give a shit if you defend yourself or not. I've already provided proof that your opinion is contradictory, hypocritical and in error. Whether or not you accept that is a moot point. You could write a 5-page response to me defending your statements or you could remain totally silent on it; either way it doesn't matter because the facts of reality will remain the same.

On an even more personal note I have to state that I don't dislike you. I'm not sure why you think I do but truthfully I enjoy having you here participating in discussions and joking around, etc. You're a generally smart guy and while our personal positions on various topics don't always jibe I still appreciate having you around to bring a different perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I like you enough to donate a kidney to you or anything like that. But I'd gladly tip a pint with you should we ever chance to meet in person. And no, I wouldn't throw the beer at you, unless of course you bought a round of that cheap Fosters piss, then all bets are off. ;)

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Why do you automatically assume that fossil fuels and combustion engines can't be improved to "burn" cleaner? They already have been exponentially over the past 60 years. Gasoline used to contain lead but it no longer does.

Lead was an additive to gasoline. All they did was stop adding it. There is only so much you can do to clean combustion emissions. A catalytic converter already does a fair job of destroying toxic emissions from the exhaust but you are still left with CO. You could potentially use a scrubber but that would oxidize CO into CO2, converting it from a poison to a greenhouse gas. Hydrogen fuel cell technology solves that dilemma with water being the byproduct of its combustion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lead was an additive to gasoline. All they did was stop adding it. There is only so much you can do to clean combustion emissions. A catalytic converter already does a fair job of destroying toxic emissions from the exhaust but you are still left with CO. You could potentially use a scrubber but that would oxidize CO into CO2, converting it from a poison to a greenhouse gas. Hydrogen fuel cell technology solves that dilemma with water being the byproduct of its combustion.

Also the addition of ethanol.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Also the addition of ethanol.

I'm not a big fan of adding corn syrup to engines. The ethanol thing is nothing but a government cash grab. There's a guy out here who pooled his money with a few investors and bought land in Iowa just to grow corn so they can get government money. They make way, way, way more money from government ethanol programs than they would if they actually just sold the corn!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing is eating at me and I am not trying to bait you into anything. I'm not sure what cognitive problem you're having right now but this is a discussion board; the point of it is to have discussions on various topics. Responding to your posts here isn't baiting, rather, it's participating in the proper function of this site, i.e. discussion.

On a personal note I have to point out that you seem to be the one who is being "eaten" here; your comments proving a classic case of projection. You're projecting beliefs about me that have no basis in reality so clearly that means that you are the one experiencing that internal pressure, that feeling of being "eaten". Quite frankly I don't give a shit if you defend yourself or not. I've already provided proof that your opinion is contradictory, hypocritical and in error. Whether or not you accept that is a moot point. You could write a 5-page response to me defending your statements or you could remain totally silent on it; either way it doesn't matter because the facts of reality will remain the same.

On an even more personal note I have to state that I don't dislike you. I'm not sure why you think I do but truthfully I enjoy having you here participating in discussions and joking around, etc. You're a generally smart guy and while our personal positions on various topics don't always jibe I still appreciate having you around to bring a different perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I like you enough to donate a kidney to you or anything like that. But I'd gladly tip a pint with you should we ever chance to meet in person. And no, I wouldn't throw the beer at you, unless of course you bought a round of that cheap Fosters piss, then all bets are off. ;)
Lol!

I'm at work right now so no time to reply. Maybe later, if I'm not completely knackered.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet

Ha ha! Suck up!

Maybe you and Lord Balls should get a room. :D

Get your mind out of the gutter Huge Vag. Our love transcends trailer park trysts and cheap motel flings with first cousins as is de rigueur in your neck of the woods. It's an affair of the mind based upon a level of intellectual discourse that not even the most esteemed university in Kentucky dares aspire to. (This is assuming Kentucky has universities -- and I'm not talking about things like the "Dog Groomin' ana Stylin' University" next to the laundromat and strip club on your local main street.)

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Get your mind out of the gutter Huge Vag. Our love transcends trailer park trysts and cheap motel flings with first cousins as is de rigueur in your neck of the woods. It's an affair of the mind based upon a level of intellectual discourse that not even the most esteemed university in Kentucky dares aspire to. (This is assuming Kentucky has universities -- and I'm not talking about things like the "Dog Groomin' ana Stylin' University" next to the laundromat and strip club on your local main street.)

You seem to like big words but you poo all over good dialogue shows. What's your story man? :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You seem to like big words but you poo all over good dialogue shows. What's your story man? :D

I poo all over terrible shows too, and sometimes on the people who decide they like them. :jack_new27:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The guy was ASLEEP too. I find it disturbing that anyone would want a vehicle which can literally kidnap you. If they wanted to, Tesla could lock you in your car while it was moving, and purposely drive off a cliff or to a police station or stop on railroad tracks (by order of the CIA). :) Hackers could kidnap people and make cars drive to them, or just tell the empty car to start up and drive to them. Juves a whole new meaning to carjacking. So many creepy scenarios. Who is so damned lazy and insecure as a driver that they want their car to chauffeur them anywhere? I actually LIKE driving.

Last edited: