Who is asking for driveless cars?

I wonder...the first time one of these accidentally hits a driver head on, who will be responsible?

Initially there will be a slew of people claiming to be injured by the driverless vehicles. There will no doubt be camera footage most of the time but when it comes to court proceedings the companies that are operating these things are gonna take it in the shorts because it's going to be a live person (the injured party) verses a camera, which can be limited in scope. The whole thing is gonna be a scam artists dream: "OMIGOD! My foot got run over by this automated truck!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Initially there will be a slew of people claiming to be injured by the driverless vehicles. There will no doubt be camera footage most of the time but when it comes to court proceedings the companies that are operating these things are gonna take it in the shorts because it's going to be a live person (the injured party) verses a camera, which can be limited in scope. The whole thing is gonna be a scam artists dream: "OMIGOD! My foot got run over by this automated truck!"

No, I mean something more definite. A fully recorded, fully documented, but accidental head on crash with a vehicle coming from the other direction. A blowout could cause something like that. Who would be legally responsible? Could there be jail time, and what would the charge be? If a driverless Uber is taking a drunk rider home in it's rear seats, and it has an accident, does that passenger get a DUI? Stuff like that.

No, I mean something more definite. A fully recorded, fully documented, but accidental head on crash with a vehicle coming from the other direction. A blowout could cause something like that. Who would be legally responsible? Could there be jail time, and what would the charge be? If a driverless Uber is taking a drunk rider home in it's rear seats, and it has an accident, does that passenger get a DUI? Stuff like that.

I'm certainly no expert here but it sounds like you're talking about Tort law as that is the area that will deal with these types of scenarios. I don't know how criminal charges would be applied in such instances but civil lawsuits are a given. I think it's safe to say that it won't be long before we see exactly the kind of stuff you're talking about happening in the news.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm certainly no expert here but it sounds like you're talking about Tort law as that is the area that will deal with these types of scenarios. I don't know how criminal charges would be applied in such instances but civil lawsuits are a given. I think it's safe to say that it won't be long before we see exactly the kind of stuff you're talking about happening in the news.

It's the "a robot isn't human" scenario. Sure, they could "put the car to death" by destroying it, but what about the company that operates it? Can an actual person in that company be jailed? Precedents here could be very important, potentially freeing corporations from fatal liabilities.

It's the "a robot isn't human" scenario. Sure, they could "put the car to death" by destroying it, but what about the company that operates it? Can an actual person in that company be jailed? Precedents here could be very important, potentially freeing corporations from fatal liabilities.

I don't know what protections the owner of a single Uber will have from criminal prosecution but we all know that large corporations will lobby for protection in that regard, and they will get it. It will be big business for attorneys. I'm sure they're licking their chops as we speak.

To be a little more clear, I don't think any corporate CEO's will go to prison for one of their products malfunctioning and killing someone. You have to understand that there is a huge chain of parties involved in these types of suits. There's the company that owns or leases the vehicle in question. Then there's the manufacturer of the AI components that operate the vehicle. Then there's the manufacturer of the vehicle itself which will most likely be separate from the AI manufacturer. Then there's the maintenance team for the vehicle, etc. So while it seems natural to point the finger at the CEO of the company as the guilty party he or she will point the finger of blame at all the other people I just mentioned. And while this all gets sussed out in the Discovery phase of the trial there is still a reluctance to prosecute companies criminally in terms of locking executives up unless it can be proven they personally intervened in the workings of the vehicles.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They better fix that, since the vast majority of humans on earth are darker skinned than not.
I don't know about vast majority. Chinese people tend to be fairly fair skinned.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't know about vast majority. Chinese people tend to be fairly fair skinned.

Most Chinese are dark skinned, actually. The northern Chinese are fair skinned, but the majority of Chinese are in southeast China and are not necessarily fair skinned. They range from light brown to darker brown, and some that are as dark as black people. The Thai are dark skinned. Add those Chinese to Africans, Latinos in the Americas, and you come up with 3/4 of the global population. People considered "white" represent only 8% of the global population.