Who is asking for driveless cars?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They already know all this for every car which has a GPS system built in, regardless of the car being driverless or not.

Well, knowing one's location is not as bad as being able to commandeer their vehicle remotely and turn it into a drone.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The guy was ASLEEP too. I find it disturbing that anyone would want a vehicle which can literally kidnap you. If they wanted to, Tesla could lock you in your car while it was moving, and purposely drive off a cliff or to a police station or stop on railroad tracks (by order of the CIA). :) Hackers could kidnap people and make cars drive to them, or just tell the empty car to start up and drive to them. Juves a whole new meaning to carjacking. So many creepy scenarios. Who is so damned lazy and insecure as a driver that they want their car to chauffeur them anywhere? I actually LIKE driving.

why are these cars allowed to be sold with this feature if the govt does not want ppl to use them (in full) yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
why are these cars allowed to be sold with this feature if the govt does not want ppl to use them (in full) yet?

The government can't tell auto makers what they can and cannot sell. But they can make laws regarding the technology and the responsibility of driving a vehicle. They can say no vehicle can be driven without human interaction. They could easily force the driver to interact with the auto driver system at regular intervals, and if the driver fails to do that then the car could pull over and stop automatically, and perhaps dial for help.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The government can't tell auto makers what they can and cannot sell. But they can make laws regarding the technology and the responsibility of driving a vehicle. They can say no vehicle can be driven without human interaction. They could easily force the driver to interact with the auto driver system at regular intervals, and if the driver fails to do that then the car could pull over and stop automatically, and perhaps dial for help.

no they regulate whats in cars all the time

like the safety glass and that they have to have airbags and seat belts

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no they regulate whats in cars all the time

like the safety glass and that they have to have airbags and seat belts

What grounds would they have for regulating auto-driving features being "available" in the car? The laws can only govern what rules have to be followed when making the vehicle move on public roads and highways. A different entity determines required safety features and standards for things like headlight brightness and positioning, seatbelt standards, crash standards, etc. Government does not regulate features or luxuries in cars. One day when there are a lot more of them, probably they will. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What grounds would they have for regulating auto-driving features being "available" in the car? The laws can only govern what rules have to be followed when making the vehicle move on public roads and highways. A different entity determines required safety features and standards for things like headlight brightness and positioning, seatbelt standards, crash standards, etc. Government does not regulate features or luxuries in cars. One day when there are a lot more of them, probably they will. :)

it seems that the "feature" this person was using DID effect the operation (to the point it attracted the attn of the police) AND the safety of that operation effecting not only him but others on the road.

it should be considered as gvt's attempt to keep pace with tech

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member

Tesla requires both hands on the wheel on auto-pilot. Auto-pilot right now is basically driving assistance, such as down-regulation of speed to put distance between you and the car ahead of you, collision avoidance, and so on. It's not yet meant to be used for autonomous driving, even though it can, much like cruise control doesn't mean you can throw your feet up on the dash and relax.

Last edited:
Tesla requires both hands on the wheel on auto-pilot. Auto-pilot right now is basically driving assistance, such as down-regulation of speed to put distance between you and the car ahead of you, collision avoidance, and so on. It's not yet meant to be used for autonomous driving, much like cruise control doesn't mean you can throw your feet up on the dash and relax.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm curious as to how this guy drove 7 miles (and probably more) while asleep? I doubt his hands were on the wheel the whole time. It will be interesting if we ever find out all the details.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm curious as to how this guy drove 7 miles (and probably more) while asleep? I doubt his hands were on the wheel the whole time. It will be interesting if we ever find out all the details.

On a good road, a car with a properly balanced drive-train will not randomly swerve and could, potentially, drive fairly straight for a little while. It is possible one of his hands was still touching the wheel but that's speculation. Perhaps they'll release more info on that particular case because I am curious. Seven miles is still a long while even with all conditions being ideal.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
There is two groups of people who should be advocating for self-driving cars: alcoholics and stoners.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tesla requires both hands on the wheel on auto-pilot. Auto-pilot right now is basically driving assistance, such as down-regulation of speed to put distance between you and the car ahead of you, collision avoidance, and so on. It's not yet meant to be used for autonomous driving, even though it can, much like cruise control doesn't mean you can throw your feet up on the dash and relax.

Exactly.

What about handicapped people?

They should not be allowed to use driverless cars if their disability prevents them from being able to drive themselves.

They should not be allowed to use driverless cars if their disability prevents them from being able to drive themselves.

This will give handicapped people a new level of autonomy. That's just one of the arguments in favor of this industry-changing technology. It's going to happen. This doesn't mean that everyone will use the driver-less feature, it just means more and more people are going to be using it. Welcome to the future. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well, knowing one's location is not as bad as being able to commandeer their vehicle remotely and turn it into a drone.
that's Mr Rac's concern, that someone hacks into the software.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Those cars could be given away for free...just saying but they won't.

They are illegal unless they have been remediated, so no they can't just give them away.