Who is asking for driveless cars?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They could give them away with the condition that the taker will remediate the car! Whatever that means. It could be forced with a legal contract.

VW should be forced to remediate all those cars. I wonder what they are paying to store all those vehicles?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The problem is that as these cars sit idle, it creates a bigger problem. These cars could be recycled for scrap metal or parts, but they won't. Recalling this is just looking to be more costly but I reckon they did this to please their shareholders so the shareholders can get more money and sell new shiny products to people that want to buy the latest and greatest car that's out there.

The remediation process on these cars dramatically reduces performance from what I have read. Here is a video talking about how the cars run after remediation:

Given that, why would anyone want one? You can get a better diesel (and a cleaner GAS powered car) than those VWs.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
The problem is that as these cars sit idle, it creates a bigger problem. These cars could be recycled for scrap metal or parts, but they won't. Recalling this is just looking to be more costly but I reckon they did this to please their shareholders so the shareholders can get more money and sell new shiny products to people that want to buy the latest and greatest car that's out there.

Agree with you singlelady I think they should have a fire sale and sell these cars cheap because instead of keeping them there to rust.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At this point those cars should be written off and recycled - there is no practical way to remediate them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
At this point those cars should be written off and recycled - there is no practical way to remediate them.

^^^THIS. But then the write-off messes with VW's metrics on their Prospectus, being classified technically (and corrrectly) as a loss much greater than the one reported for the buybacks.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
That's because we have been led to believe that way but the elite always get a free lunch. Same goes for religion who pays zero taxes and corporations having money in tax heaven areas where there is no taxation. Taxation is nothing more than to screw you more so that you don't try to be number 1 in the system.

You're not totally wrong but it's also not that simple.

Religious institutions were originally exempted due to the charitable nature of their activities. However, more and more are becoming politically active. For that privilege they should be compelled to pay taxes like any other institution.

Corporations operating subsidiaries in tax havens don't exactly have free access to that money. They cannot redistribute those profits to shareholders, essentially trapping that money offshore. What they do, instead, is borrow from the offshore operation for domestic investment and repay those loans over long periods. Unless the government grants a tax holiday for repatriation, that money will always be trapped without incurring a hefty tax bill.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Corporations here pay no taxes, they buy politicians and get a tax concession and also give a tax concession to their shareholders. Meanwhile, if I work, I have to pay taxes at the higher rate than they do.

It's the same story in most taxed jurisdictions. The US is just as guilty, having an overly complex tax system written by corporate lobbyists. There are tricks that help avoid taxes even without ever leaving the confines of the US. American tax law is designed to help the rich avoid comparatively fair taxes while placing the burden squarely on the working class.

The tax system in the EU, however, tries to take a different approach in that their efforts are focused on closing loopholes and to make tax avoidance next to impossible rather than favor the rich and powerful in the same manner as America. It doesn't mean they don't just that it's not as easy. Our resident accountant from the UK can correct me on this. For instance, France has a treaty with Monaco that prohibits any French citizen from acquiring a tax-free citizenship. You've also seen how the EU went after Apple and Ireland because of its favorable 10% flat tax.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LMFAO the cockiness of these people. Just because a vehicle has driven x number of miles, does not make it safer. I don't care how many miles this has done, but I rather take my risk with a human being, who know what they are doing. If they are using safety as a selling point, they've also lost me at that. I don't like owning a car. It's probably better just to pay someone to uber me

I will NEVER sit in one of these driverless cars. More people feel this way than don't. Here is an excellent article you might find interesting on the topic:

https://medium.com/s/story/i-will-never-own-or-even-sit-my-butt-in-a-self-driving-car-4f799ce8a0de

Excerpt:

I'm a high performance driving instructor, professional driver, and race car driver. I’ve taught Teen Highway Survival courses, trained people who drive for a living, and instructed people how to drive safer and faster on a race track.

I’ve also participated in an ice driving school and a rally driving school. I have a pretty good grasp on how to drive a car safely in any situation. I also have the ability to think and assess ever-changing situations almost instantaneously.

Even if I didn’t have my skills and training, I wouldn’t ever sit my butt in a self-driving car. I will never trust them. Ever.

Excellent read....

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Do NOT get me started on Corporate Welfare. here in Indianapolis we have a BILLION DOLLAR boondoggle the taxpayers are footing the bill for. it is a stadium for the Colts. Building stadiums is one of the biggest scams that anyone has ever run against the American taxpayers. The community does not make back what they spend, they only provide minimum wage jobs (the restaurant and hotel industries are the only beneficiaries) and the taxes imposed NEVER go away. here in Indiana, as a state, we pay a 1% sales tax for the Hoosier Dome (where the Colts first played here) another 1% was added in the mid 90's to refurbish the Hoosier Dome, then in 2005 the state refused to add another 1%, so the Colts owner (a BILLIONAIRE himself) convinced Marion County (the county Indianapolis is in) and the "ring" counties (surrounding Marion)to add a 1% restaurant tax. All 7 counties went along, except one. I am furious with my county council that just rubber stamped it (later we discovered the council members got a pair of free season tickets for 5 years ...each!)

Oh It burns my wallet every time I drive past it!!!!

Do NOT get me started on Corporate Welfare. here in Indianapolis we have a BILLION DOLLAR boondoggle the taxpayers are footing the bill for. it is a stadium for the Colts. Building stadiums is one of the biggest scams that anyone has ever run against the American taxpayers. The community does not make back what they spend, they only provide minimum wage jobs (the restaurant and hotel industries are the only beneficiaries) and the taxes imposed NEVER go away. here in Indiana, as a state, we pay a 1% sales tax for the Hoosier Dome (where the Colts first played here) another 1% was added in the mid 90's to refurbish the Hoosier Dome, then in 2005 the state refused to add another 1%, so the Colts owner (a BILLIONAIRE himself) convinced Marion County (the county Indianapolis is in) and the "ring" counties (surrounding Marion)to add a 1% restaurant tax. All 7 counties went along, except one. I am furious with my county council that just rubber stamped it (later we discovered the council members got a pair of free season tickets for 5 years ...each!)

Oh It burns my wallet every time I drive past it!!!!

I understand, I'm not a Colts fan either. ;)