Who is asking for driveless cars?

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Who is feeding this fantasy? The only reason why there is more accident is because america has over 300 million people...DUH! How is this going to prevent accident? People are still going to get drunk.People are still going to carry guns, people will be still be people.People will do stupid shit. People will get violent so I see this as being the solution but google's attempt to control yet another industry after it has dominated the online space.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Who is feeding this fantasy? The only reason why there is more accident is because america has over 300 million people...DUH!

I will never ride in a driverless car if I am given a choice. Not ever. I will never own a car with driverless mode. Why? Because I like to drive! Because I do not trust the technology, and I just plain don't like the idea.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I will never ride in a driverless car if I am given a choice. Not ever. I will never own a car with driverless mode. Why? Because I like to drive! Because I do not trust the technology, and I just plain don't like the idea.
I am more annoyed at the fantasy it is feeding. Intentionally trying to disrupt an industry that doesn't need changing.
I don't trust it either. Thankfully, I don't see this industry catching on here ever. Not unless google tries very hard. Here is how 'safe' their driveless cars are. I don't care but I rather take my chances of a human being behind a wheel than a computer. This video was unlisted - I wonder why? :tealc_new050::rolleye0014:. They've also censored the comment section by disabling the likes and comments. lol assholes. You can't silence the human race no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
We are programmed to do stupid shit. That's what makes us human ;) and to me that's okay. No one is perfect but we live in a age of perfectionism and PC nonsense. I also love to drive. It's also a fun activity but no amount of safety will prevent me from the inevitable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am more annoyed at the fantasy it is feeding. Intentionally trying to disrupt an industry that doesn't need changing.
I don't trust it either. Thankfully, I don't see this industry catching on here ever. Not unless google tries very hard. Here is how 'safe' their driveless cars are. I don't care but I rather take my chances of a human being behind a wheel than a computer. This video was unlisted - I wonder why? :tealc_new050::rolleye0014:. They've also censored the comment section by disabling the likes and comments. lol assholes. You can't silence the human race no matter how hard you try.

(whispering) It was the actual CAR that posted the video. :icon_e_surprised: Seriously though, why is it that the people developing this technology are assuming that people want to jump into driverless vehicles and let some robot do the driving? I will never want that. I would never want even a human chauffeur to be driving me around because I actually enjoy driving a lot. Also, I would be forever reminded that I willingly gave my choice away.

We are programmed to do stupid shit. That's what makes us human ;) and to me that's okay. No one is perfect but we live in a age of perfectionism and PC nonsense. I also love to drive. It's also a fun activity but no amount of safety will prevent me from the inevitable.

I think we are programmed to do things that protect us and our loved ones, to eat and drink, and to create a safe space for our loved ones and friends to live in. Those are the basics. Everything else is a choice, or is an imposed "norm" agreed upon by society as a whole. I don't see society getting behind driverless vehicles on a large scale. Same with public transportation. There will be those who are okay with it, but they will be in the minority.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
(whispering) It was the actual CAR that posted the video. :icon_e_surprised: Seriously though, why is it that the people developing this technology are assuming that people want to jump into driverless vehicles and let some robot do the driving? I will never want that. I would never want even a human chauffeur to be driving me around because I actually enjoy driving a lot. Also, I would be forever reminded that I willingly gave my choice away.

It sounds to me like another attempt to sell shit to people and pinch more money and data on people. As if they don't have enough, they need more. This level of greed is disgusting. On the outside, they'll appear to play nice and fair, but deep down, I think this is an attempt to control the human race.This is going to make us get used to this and force us not to go back to the olden days. And soon, that habit will die off and will be a thing of a past.

I think we are programmed to do things that protect us and our loved ones, to eat and drink, and to create a safe space for our loved ones and friends to live in. Those are the basics. Everything else is a choice, or is an imposed "norm" agreed upon by society as a whole. I don't see society getting behind driverless vehicles on a large scale. Same with public transportation. There will be those who are okay with it, but they will be in the minority.

I agree but those who are responsible drivers shouldn't have to sacrifice for a few dicks on the road that are under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Why not do something to fight alcohol consumption such as making synthehol which will help cut crime by at least 80%.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

ditto

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
what about that driverless in Az that crashed or caught on fire? something, killed a person or two. few months back

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This driverless technology will be monetized in some form after it has created a market. They will charge for access to the service, they will charge for usage, probably add surcharges to the vehicle just for having the system involved, and of course you will have to pay to be connected. NO WAY. Besides that, what if somebody did not like you or the government considered you a threat? They could instruct the car to lock it's doors and kidnap you. They could even tell the car to drive itself off a cliff with you locked inside. Assassination via robot. Not at all impossible. Just today, somebody made an assassination attempt on the Venezuelan President using a drone.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and with uber

first they cut off the taxi service, thats ok with me, free choice and all

but, it is a profit driven motive that drives the company..now they are even trying to cut out the drivers with self driving tech

money at the root of evil once again

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and with uber

first they cut off the taxi service, thats ok with me, free choice and all

but, it is a profit driven motive that drives the company..now they are even trying to cut out the drivers with self driving tech

money at the root of evil once again

I was SUPER happy when Uber and Lyft brought down the taxi empire in in Los Angeles. The taxi companies formed a cartel, and they managed to lobby the city government to ban all new taxi companies and restrict all private transportation like taxis and limos for hire (also owned by the taxi companies) from serving LAX. Riding a mere 5 miles could cost you $15 to $20. I do NOT miss those days. It would be absolutely crazy to use taxis in Los Angeles these days, when Uber and Lyft get there faster, have nicer cars and nicer drivers and cost a fraction of the taxi fare.

But as far as driverless cars (no matter who owns them), I will never ride in one. Not ever.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was SUPER happy when Uber and Lyft brought down the taxi empire in in Los Angeles. The taxi companies formed a cartel, and they managed to lobby the city government to ban all new taxi companies and restrict all private transportation like taxis and limos for hire (also owned by the taxi companies) from serving LAX. Riding a mere 5 miles could cost you $15 to $20. I do NOT miss those days. It would be absolutely crazy to use taxis in Los Angeles these days, when Uber and Lyft get there faster, have nicer cars and nicer drivers and cost a fraction of the taxi fare.

But as far as driverless cars (no matter who owns them), I will never ride in one. Not ever.

i am not saying i oppose uber, et al, it is time someone challenged these taxi mafias

but, on the flip side, their model is about like walmart's was; offer a service that undercuts the competition wit the same or better, quality

then once you have nearly destroyed your competition, and you become the only real viable option in town, you can do pretty much what you want

they may not be at that point yet, but when and if the taxis do go under and then uber goes to totally driverless, what are the options then? bus, train, walk or robot car

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Not me! it's bad enough to have semi driverless cars- those who drive & play with their cellphones! :P

I'm keeping my car! I will never buy a driverless car. they'll have to take the steering wheel from my "cold head hands" after I've shot the crap out them for trying!

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am not saying i oppose uber, et al, it is time someone challenged these taxi mafias

but, on the flip side, their model is about like walmart's was; offer a service that undercuts the competition wit the same or better, quality

then once you have nearly destroyed your competition, and you become the only real viable option in town, you can do pretty much what you want

they may not be at that point yet, but when and if the taxis do go under and then uber goes to totally driverless, what are the options then? bus, train, walk or robot car

FIRST, the option for Uber or anyone has to be open for them to run driverless cars in the first place. California will probably not allow it for years to come.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This driverless technology will be monetized in some form after it has created a market. They will charge for access to the service, they will charge for usage, probably add surcharges to the vehicle just for having the system involved, and of course you will have to pay to be connected. NO WAY. Besides that, what if somebody did not like you or the government considered you a threat? They could instruct the car to lock it's doors and kidnap you. They could even tell the car to drive itself off a cliff with you locked inside. Assassination via robot. Not at all impossible. Just today, somebody made an assassination attempt on the Venezuelan President using a drone.
It's trying to kill the dealership network so apple and google can control it. We won't cars in the future. Instead, it will be based on subscription based where insurance/rego and recharging maintenance will be part of the subscription plan. Kinda like how we are seeing with the Streaming platform. This is why I don't like streaming because they can pull the plug at any moment with no question asked. They can do the same thing with your car. So Jimmy, you haven't paid for your monthly subscription plan, unfortunately, as you haven't paid, we cannot offer you the car to work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not if you are a lobbyist who wants to push this idea.

Places like California are not as easily manipulated by lobbyists as in other states. The people here would never allow things like open carry, stand your ground, voter ID cards, stop and frisk, etc. To those who ask "So, is California "special" or something?", the answer is YES, we are definitely special among the states. We are the largest population in the US, the third largest in area, and also the richest state. We produce the most agriculture and are the center of the tech industry. California would be formidable even as a separate country.

Having said that, I can tell you that we love our cars. That means that driverless cars are not going to find a foothold here. The automakers will never be able to sell driverless cars here. They want to sell Beemers, Benzes, Audis and Toyotas and all the other cars (oh, and we are the largest auto market in the US as well).