Warehouse 13 getting 20 episode order for Season 4!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmmmm

Am I the only one now having flashbacks to S3 of Sanctuary with it's extended season?

I can only hope that he writers can keep it good the whole way through and not slip into the "we have time" syndrome that seemed to hit Sanctuary. Personally I have no issue with the occasional "filler ep", especially if it develops the characters more, but the Ratings seem to be a hell of alot harder on them then me.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmmmm

Am I the only one now having flashbacks to S3 of Sanctuary with it's extended season?

I can only hope that he writers can keep it good the whole way through and not slip into the "we have time" syndrome that seemed to hit Sanctuary. Personally I have no issue with the occasional "filler ep", especially if it develops the characters more, but the Ratings seem to be a hell of alot harder on them then me.

#1. Yes, you're the only one having flashbacks to S3 of Sanctuary. :P

#2. For a show like WH13 I think it's better to have the emphasis more on episodes rather than the seasonal story arc. They need to keep that crap in the background. Serialized stories just get tiresome if they are the main focus of every episode. Yes, yes, they can (and should) have a seasonal story arc but the stand alone "filler" episodes can be more entertaining if done right. Call me crazy but I, for one, like single episodes that have a beginning, a middle and an end all in one.

#3. As for the long mid-season breaks and all that nonsense, well, I've never understood the value in that. There have been several shows that have lost me as a viewer that way. I'm sure I'm not alone in this either. But since I'm not a TV producer I'm sure the answer as to why they do it this way now is beyond my ken. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
#1. Yes, you're the only one having flashbacks to S3 of Sanctuary. :P
Fair enough :P

#2. For a show like WH13 I think it's better to have the emphasis more on episodes rather than the seasonal story arc. They need to keep that crap in the background. Serialized stories just get tiresome if they are the main focus of every episode. Yes, yes, they can (and should) have a seasonal story arc but the stand alone "filler" episodes can be more entertaining if done right. Call me crazy but I, for one, like single episodes that have a beginning, a middle and an end all in one.
Oh I quite agree Shaved, I don't mind stand-alone ep's either, what I am concerned about is them possibly swapping focus to a more serialized format. Stand alones are an excellent way to grab viewers and such, yet as a series progresses the more.........hardcore fans tend to like at least a shift into the realm of serialization and if you look at many shows it does happen, and when they shift back to stand alone, the are often criticised for being "filler eps". THAT is my concern, nothing else.

#3. As for the long mid-season breaks and all that nonsense, well, I've never understood the value in that. There have been several shows that have lost me as a viewer that way. I'm sure I'm not alone in this either. But since I'm not a TV producer I'm sure the answer as to why they do it this way now is beyond my ken. ;)
I can see the value if you have multiple high interest shows, run X for 13 weeks, run Y for 13 weeks and alternate between the two in the one timeslot, but that works far better for your "traditional" 26 ep shows, not 20. With 20 eps, you crate a void in which your station can loose the timeslot to another station.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
As long as they keep this show light and fun I think they will be fine. If they try to add a few dark story arcs they will probably blow it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As long as they keep this show light and fun I think they will be fine. If they try to add a few dark story arcs they will probably blow it.

Agreed.

AS much as I liked the finale this season, the fact that it is pretty dark was not something I want to see carried over into the new season. Warehouse 13 works best as a dramedy (something like the pioneering dramedy show - an oldie named Remington Steele). They need the lighter tone and comedic elements for the show to stay appealing.

SciphonicStranger

Agreed.

AS much as I liked the finale this season, the fact that it is pretty dark was not something I want to see carried over into the new season. Warehouse 13 works best as a dramedy (something like the pioneering dramedy show - an oldie named Remington Steele). They need the lighter tone and comedic elements for the show to stay appealing.

Absolutely. I'm sure next season will start with a reboot from that finale. Then we should be back to the normal fun and games. :)

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I don't think we will see a total reset. They really went all out on that finale, hate for it all to be fixed with a simple reset. The show, imo, raised the bar with that 2 part finale.

SciphonicStranger

I don't think we will see a total reset. They really went all out on that finale, hate for it all to be fixed with a simple reset. The show, imo, raised the bar with that 2 part finale.

It was pretty awesome. Any news on the H.G. Wells spin-off?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think Jinks will stay dead but that the watch will allow them to roll time back to the point where the bomb can be disarmed, thus saving HG and Mrs. Fredericks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I agree with this too. Sure fire killers are drawn out dark story arcs, shipping to the point of on-air marriage, babies, young children (in an adult themed show), and bad music. :).

W13 is an awesome show! As long as they preserve the characters, do not ship Myka with anyone, and do not pair Claudia up with anyone, it will be fine. Focus on the artifacts and the original premise and have fun with it. I love this show so far.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Well fantastic. Syfy are only airing 10 of the 20 episodes they ordered for WH13 this summer. The other 10 will air in April 2013. So that wonderful news of extra episodes actually means we are getting less this year than we normally would. F'n Syfy.

Warehouse 13 |
Ryan raises a question via email: “I read that Syfy will only be airing 10 of the 20 episodes of
Warehouse 13
‘s fourth season this summer. Are they really going to wait until next summer to air the second half?” I got an answer back on this just as I was putting the Inside Line to bed, and that second wave of 10 episodes is in fact set to launch in April of 2013 — so not
quite
“next summer.”

http://tvline.com/2012/06/27/matts-...candal-the-closer-covert-affairs/#more-340306

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well fantastic. Syfy are only airing 10 of the 20 episodes they ordered for WH13 this summer. The other 10 will air in April 2013. So that wonderful news of extra episodes actually means we are getting less this year than we normally would. F'n Syfy.

http://tvline.com/2012/06/27/matts-...candal-the-closer-covert-affairs/#more-340306
They're doing this to try to save money. Certainly not excusing it, though. They lost me with their cancellation of Eureka. Barring some truly exceptional program airing on SyFy, I won't be back.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is a weird sort of programming decision unless they make sure that episode 10 is a good place to break - they risk people losing the flow of the story.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I guess I don't understand why they would produce less episodes of their most successful show? I mean, stretching it out until April 2013??? :rolleye0014:

As it is the break has already been too long between seasons. Makes no sense to me, none at all. SyFy you're sinking fast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess I don't understand why they would produce less episodes of their most successful show? I mean, stretching it out until April 2013??? :rolleye0014:

As it is the break has already been too long between seasons. Makes no sense to me, none at all. SyFy you're sinking fast.

:( I dont get it either. Doesnt this usually mean they are "winding down"? Why would they mess with this show? Anybody tracking ratings on this show? Are they still in the green zone?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:( I dont get it either. Doesnt this usually mean they are "winding down"? Why would they mess with this show? Anybody tracking ratings on this show? Are they still in the green zone?

This is just off the top of my head but I thought I heard last year that WH13 was their top rated show. Doesn't make sense to be so penurious with your money maker now does it? I mean, ratings = $$$ so why they would stretch it out so thin is beyond me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
S3 average ratings were 3.3M with 1.6 in the target demo's

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also read they may be doing this so they can use W13 as a lead in when they launch Defiance (which also stars Jamie Murray who plays H.G. on W13). To me it is just more bonehead strategy on SyFy's part.

Of course they are not the only season splitters. Doctor Who is doing an odd schedule as well. This fall we get 6 episodes of the 13. Then we get the Christmas special. Early next year we get the other 7 episodes and later next year the next 13 episode season. I gather this is all to get them set up for the 50th Anniversary next year which also (supposedly) will have a series of specials.

SciphonicStranger

They seem intent on keeping WH13 as a summer only show. Maybe they are just concerned about it going up against the fall shows.

joy89

GateFans Noob
I have like the show the last three seasons, but episode two introduces a new homosexual character. I am sick of hearing about nearly every new show introducing such a character, I have yet in my 24 years of life to actually come across more than three such people.