Warehouse 13 getting 20 episode order for Season 4!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Myka sez: "You're going nowhere!"

tumblr_m0e6aoQzTN1qfj7tro1_500.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just watched the most recent episode "No Pain, No Gain". I was quite happy with it.

First, the dramedy is back! Pete and Myka were working to retrieve an artifact that centered around wish fulfillment, and their interplay was entertaining and funny. Especially funny was how hunting for this artifact may have caused a change in how Pete and Myka relate to each other.

Second, we had an excellent B story with Claudia and Mrs. Fredericks. It was a follow up to the story a bit over a year ago where it looked like Claudia would have to take Mrs. Fredericks place, and part of why this worked so well was we got insight into what it means to be Mrs. Fredericks AND saw a more mature Claudia - she looked and acted more adult than we have seen before on the show.

Third, the mystery of artifacts being stolen from the Warehouse expanded a bit. Plus Artie now knows that Steve and Claudia are linked via the metronome.

Overall well done. Got the show back in its proper tone and also advanced the story.

G

Graybrew1

I really enjoyed this ep.
I loved getting to see Mike Dupond as well.

There was quite a few knee slapper scenes in this one.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just watched the most recent episode "No Pain, No Gain". I was quite happy with it.

First, the dramedy is back! Pete and Myka were working to retrieve an artifact that centered around wish fulfillment, and their interplay was entertaining and funny. Especially funny was how hunting for this artifact may have caused a change in how Pete and Myka relate to each other.

Second, we had an excellent B story with Claudia and Mrs. Fredericks. It was a follow up to the story a bit over a year ago where it looked like Claudia would have to take Mrs. Fredericks place, and part of why this worked so well was we got insight into what it means to be Mrs. Fredericks AND saw a more mature Claudia - she looked and acted more adult than we have seen before on the show.

Third, the mystery of artifacts being stolen from the Warehouse expanded a bit. Plus Artie now knows that Steve and Claudia are linked via the metronome.

Overall well done. Got the show back in its proper tone and also advanced the story.

Good production values this season from editing to graphics. Joanne finally got to show her belly and waistline and they even made a point of it. I still say there's something going on there because they made such a big deal out of it. Her hair looked more normal too, so something was going on in those other episodes. I wonder if we'll ever know...

The story was okay this episode but Pete's "You go girl!" schtick fell very flat I thought. And they kept doing that joke over and over as if it was hilarious -- it wasn't. It smacked of the whole "Let's put the two leads together romantically" sort of writing that usually ruins good shows. I hope that isn't where they're headed for Pete and Myka but I think we all know they probably are, sigh. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to give credit where credit is due - Warehouse 13 is quietly putting out a very strong show this season. And this episode was another strong one. Good plotlines (including bringing back one of the worse baddies from the show's past) and also character development. Claudia now is aware of the problem she created with the Metronome and Artie is starting to flake out over the campaign that Brent Spiner is waging to force him to use the Astrolabe again to undo the changes he wrought - the problem of course is if Artie does that then the whole world comes apart. Plus Artie cannot tell anyone what the situation is.

Ultimately I would think that Brent and Artie will be forced to put their heads together and work out a solution that puts the Astrolabe back but does so without undoing the fixing of the destruction of the Warehouse.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This show reminds me a lot of "Friday the 13th: The Series". It, too, featured a caretaker and a male & female pair who were in charge of a warehouse filled with supernatural objects, spending episode after episode retrieving such objects from the general public.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have to give credit where credit is due - Warehouse 13 is quietly putting out a very strong show this season. And this episode was another strong one. Good plotlines (including bringing back one of the worse baddies from the show's past) and also character development. Claudia now is aware of the problem she created with the Metronome and Artie is starting to flake out over the campaign that Brent Spiner is waging to force him to use the Astrolabe again to undo the changes he wrought - the problem of course is if Artie does that then the whole world comes apart. Plus Artie cannot tell anyone what the situation is.

Ultimately I would think that Brent and Artie will be forced to put their heads together and work out a solution that puts the Astrolabe back but does so without undoing the fixing of the destruction of the Warehouse.

Looks like I was (possibly) right about Leyla being the one behind the disappearance of the artifacts. Although, it might be Artie himself who has a split personality now and is doing it to himself. Leyla could just be an obvious red herring.

So did they make Aaron Ashmore a permanent cast member? Are they going to keep him around long term or is he just here to flesh out this seasons Claudia story line?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This show reminds me a lot of "Friday the 13th: The Series". It, too, featured a caretaker and a male & female pair who were in charge of a warehouse filled with supernatural objects, spending episode after episode retrieving such objects from the general public.

There are general similarities but when you zero in it is rather different. The artifacts in Friday the 13th were all evil and in fact needed human sacrifice to operate - the occultic element was palpable. Plus the show was dark and gory (it brushes the edges of allowable gore, violence and sex on TV of the time more than once). By contrast, the W13 artifacts exist in a world somewhere between fantasy and scifi - they are not good or evil and do not require human sacrifice to work. The whole tone of W13 is lighter and the show uses dramedy extensively. It is also WAY more family friendly and in my opinion the cast is vastly better in W13.

Bluce Ree

There are general similarities but when you zero in it is rather different. The artifacts in Friday the 13th were all evil and in fact needed human sacrifice to operate - the occultic element was palpable. Plus the show was dark and gory (it brushes the edges of allowable gore, violence and sex on TV of the time more than once). By contrast, the W13 artifacts exist in a world somewhere between fantasy and scifi - they are not good or evil and do not require human sacrifice to work. The whole tone of W13 is lighter and the show uses dramedy extensively. It is also WAY more family friendly and in my opinion the cast is vastly better in W13.

All very good points and I agree with everything you're saying. I was merely pointing out that W13 is yet another recycled idea that was repainted and polished. All they did was take dark & gory and make it cool and funny, made the objects sciency instead of evil, clean it up to make it family friendly and PRESTO you have a new TV show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's true, although the way I would put it is they took an interesting base concept (looking for objects that have special abilities) and showed how it SHOULD be done - not the way Friday the 13th the series did it which was more the way not to do it. So while the basic concept was not original the execution is far superior.

Bluce Ree

That's true, although the way I would put it is they took an interesting base concept (looking for objects that have special abilities) and showed how it SHOULD be done - not the way Friday the 13th the series did it which was more the way not to do it. So while the basic concept was not original the execution is far superior.

It's a much better quality show, I agree, but a recycled concept nonetheless that is blatantly obvious when you put the two side by side. They're so close, in fact, that they even mimicked the caretaker and male/female lead concept, which goes beyond just copying the base concept. I'm not complaining about the show, just the lack of real creativity coming out of Hollywood.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, the creators aped F13. But in this case I don't mind so much because while they aped the concept they executed it vastly better, turning a show that was repulsive (Friday the 13th) into one that is outright fun to watch.

That said, I do wish we would see more original ideas. Eureka was on the original side and worked out quite well. So was The Dresden Files but it was prematurely cancelled - pity because it was showing every sign of being a keeper.

Bluce Ree

True, the creators aped F13. But in this case I don't mind so much because while they aped the concept they executed it vastly better, turning a show that was repulsive (Friday the 13th) into one that is outright fun to watch.

That said, I do wish we would see more original ideas. Eureka was on the original side and worked out quite well. So was The Dresden Files but it was prematurely cancelled - pity because it was showing every sign of being a keeper.

+1 for Eureka! As corny as it was occasionally, I loved that show! When it first aired, it was refreshing to see a totally new concept. It reminded me of how I felt when Farscape first hit the air. I also enjoyed Good vs Evil from that era. Man, I miss the SciFi of old. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
An interesting part is that Eureka like Warehouse 13 is a dramedy. In fact the tone between the shows was close enough to allow crossover episodes which were very entertaining.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
WH13 might be a dramedy but they really need to tighten up the comedic moments. The ones with Pete this season have been, for the most part, lame. I watched the last episode with a friend who had never seen the show and the first thing he commented on was how bad the comedy was in regards to Pete. It was interesting to get an objective opinion and I have to say I concur with his assessment. Pete's lines this season are really forced and too over the top. They don't have that believable snappy repartee'. I'm still wincing from that whole "You go girl" schtick they had him do in the previous episode as it was really lame. Seriously, it was lame.

Has the show reached the point where it's cannibalizing itself? Is it becoming a parody of itself? Are the characters becoming caricatures? It sure seems like that's the direction it's headed if Pete is any indication.

Bluce Ree

WH13 might be a dramedy but they really need to tighten up the comedic moments. The ones with Pete this season have been, for the most part, lame. I watched the last episode with a friend who had never seen the show and the first thing he commented on was how bad the comedy was in regards to Pete. It was interesting to get an objective opinion and I have to say I concur with his assessment. Pete's lines this season are really forced and too over the top. They don't have that believable snappy repartee'. I'm still wincing from that whole "You go girl" schtick they had him do in the previous episode as it was really lame. Seriously, it was lame.

Has the show reached the point where it's cannibalizing itself? Is it becoming a parody of itself? Are the characters becoming caricatures? It sure seems like that's the direction it's headed if Pete is any indication.

snake-eating-itself-om-nom-nom-i57911.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like the snake photo.

Yes Pete went a little nutty in that episode but it is an exception rather than the rule. Plus having him go over the top now and again has been part of his character since the beginning. They wrote Pete as intuitive and prone to overemotionalism and Myka as intellectual, a lot more controlled and having the photographic memory.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Actually in the most recent installment the dramedy was more subdued and indeed the whole episode was very focused. Their take on Lewis Carroll always was interesting and bringing back that villain made for an interesting episode.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
M'kay, last nights ep (don't know the title) was okay. We learn more about who is behind things -- or we think we learn more that is. I suspect Artie is actually pulling the strings in a split-personality sort of way. (Has anyone else seen Brent Spiner after the astrolabe was used other than Artie?)

At least next week we get HG, yay! :daniel_new_anime021 Jaime Murray is good and it looks like things are heating up with the main story.