The Strain - SCARY!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, tonight's episode "Loved Ones" wasn't that great. It wasn't horrible, but it was too focused on Eph and his missing wife. Personally I don't give a hard turd about Eph's family and they didn't need to devote an entire episode to it. (I know they're setting up the wife for something more, but again, I don't care. Same with their brat who is now a computer genius. :rolleye0014:)

The problem with this show (if there is one) is in the editing and scene/episode selection. It doesn't seem very coordinated. The first several episodes jumped around to all the various story lines but suddenly they have narrowed the focus and we're being treated to too much of certain characters that aren't that interesting.

And where is Gus? We barely got his story updated last week and that was the last we saw of him. We need more Gus, less Eph (and less of his cutesy cutesy brat).

The previews shows Gus in a possibly not so good position next week.....

The ex wife becoming a lasting character was inevitable--once she didn't get killed straight out, we are doomed to be weighed down with her-and her kid

I am guessing the big guy wants to use her--he will "fix her" like he did the NAZI-give her her humanity back, just enough to fit in. He will probably use here to infiltrate Setrakian's group
---------------------------------------------------

The old rich bastard's bodyguard---just me, or did the shot of him and his goons-when they let the rat hunter and chickie free--remind you of the group of anti vamp, vamps?

Something about the the physical way they had them standing for the shot and in the motivations of the leader (the black guy). He is torn between his loyalties for his boss and knowing that he is doing wrong.

Perhaps those anti vamp vamps were once in the same position? Loyalty caused them to turn, but something else (surely something EVEN MORE fantastical then vampires!) made them not wholly vamps

just musing....:icon_e_confused:

And what happened to Mariyln Manson look alike? Did he get whacked and I missed it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The previews shows Gus in a possibly not so good position next week.....

The ex wife becoming a lasting character was inevitable--once she didn't get killed straight out, we are doomed to be weighed down with her-and her kid

I am guessing the big guy wants to use her--he will "fix her" like he did the NAZI-give her her humanity back, just enough to fit in. He will probably use here to infiltrate Setrakian's group
---------------------------------------------------

The old rich bastard's bodyguard---just me, or did the shot of him and his goons-when they let the rat hunter and chickie free--remind you of the group of anti vamp, vamps?

Something about the the physical way they had them standing for the shot and in the motivations of the leader (the black guy). He is torn between his loyalties for his boss and knowing that he is doing wrong.

Perhaps those anti vamp vamps were once in the same position? Loyalty caused them to turn, but something else (surely something EVEN MORE fantastical then vampires!) made them not wholly vamps

just musing....:icon_e_confused:

And what happened to Mariyln Manson look alike? Did he get whacked and I missed it?

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought regarding the old rich bastard's bodyguard. The comparison was too obvious so it must mean something.

As for Marilyn Manson, I just figured his story line was done, blended into the larger picture. We may see him in the large group of vamps that is gathered down in the subway at some point though.

And yeah, Gus is surely going to find trouble when he gets back home. Last they showed his dead beat brother was coughing so he might have turned. Either that or his mom did. I don't think they'll kill off Gus though. He will probably have to kill his mom and brother and then he will get pissed off and go to where he dropped off the box in the first episode and that's where he'll meet up with Setrakian's gang. (Just my speculation)

(or he'll get turned but before he's fully a vamp he'll help the good guys infiltrate the bad guy's lair.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
now this was a good ep

thought we would get somewhere off track with kid going to cig's, but thankfully, no

And
The Cig's

"Morley's" aren't those the brand that cigarette smoking man (aka Mulder's dad) smoked in XFILES?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG I hope they don't turn Gus into one of those warrior vamps! :icon_e_surprised:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OMG I hope they don't turn Gus into one of those warrior vamps! :icon_e_surprised:

but that would make him super ass kicking sexy :vala-newanime016:

seriously though--just how in the hell are these guys just popping in out of (seemingly) nowhere? they must have a pretty elaborate network behind them

hope we don't have to wait another 5 or 6 eps (next season) to see them again/find out some details on them

they are defi the "teaser" element to the show

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
but that would make him super ass kicking sexy :vala-newanime016:

seriously though--just how in the hell are these guys just popping in out of (seemingly) nowhere? they must have a pretty elaborate network behind them

hope we don't have to wait another 5 or 6 eps (next season) to see them again/find out some details on them

they are defi the "teaser" element to the show

I hope they're just going to interrogate Gus. He's far too attractive to become a vamp. :moody:

As for the warrior vamps, yeah, they seem a bit cartoony to be honest. I hope they are explained satisfactorily.

And I hope this show gets renewed because I don't see how it can be wrapped up in one more episode.

You know, despite that flaws I really like this show. It's well done in many ways. Funny thing is, it's been ages since I've been able to say that about a TV show (scifi, horror). So now that I've found a show that I like chances are it will be cancelled while floating turds like Dumbinion are renewed. :sour:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well the good news is they said at the end of tonight's season finale that the show is coming back in 2015. :encouragement:

I suspect they've already got a chunk of the next season already filmed.

*And Gatefan, like I said earlier, you really should catch this show if you can. As modern day vampire stories go it's pretty good. I think you would like it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Seems Gus is getting the same kind of talk they give suicide bombers. Wonder if he is going to survive long term?

They did make it more interesting by showing there is a whole "society" of ancient vamps-as long as it doesn't go the whole UNDERWORLD way.

Sadly,we will still have to deal with the whole Mommy son stuff next season too.

I am glad the core of the "team" is still intact for next season. The rat guy is a bright spot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope they're just going to interrogate Gus. He's far too attractive to become a vamp. :moody:

As for the warrior vamps, yeah, they seem a bit cartoony to be honest. I hope they are explained satisfactorily.

And I hope this show gets renewed because I don't see how it can be wrapped up in one more episode.

You know, despite that flaws I really like this show. It's well done in many ways. Funny thing is, it's been ages since I've been able to say that about a TV show (scifi, horror). So now that I've found a show that I like chances are it will be cancelled while floating turds like Dumbinion are renewed. :sour:

Im jealous of you guys...I have been missing this show, but I have the episodes starting from episode 3 where I left off. The delay has nothing to do with the show, since I like it very much and have not seen a bad episode of the three I watched so far (1, 2 and 3). It is definitely something new and not something rehashed or familiar. I gotta catch up!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im jealous of you guys...I have been missing this show, but I have the episodes starting from episode 3 where I left off. The delay has nothing to do with the show, since I like it very much and have not seen a bad episode of the three I watched so far (1, 2 and 3). It is definitely something new and not something rehashed or familiar. I gotta catch up!

Probably the only "bad" ep (and it wasn't actually bad just slow) was the one where the Mom gets turned

All the other-IMO and SHAVED's :icon_e_surprised:-were very good

my fav character (listen to me! i sound like a giddy schoolgirl :love_heart:) is the rat catcher played by Kevin Durand

up till now the guy has been like Mike Dupod-a perennial "also casted" extra (though i am sure he is probably more pop in Canada). First time I noticed him was as the psycho merc in LOST. Good to see good actors get better parts

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't think this guy has been paying attn; either that or he has just been watching highlights

This critic kind of reminds me of the prof I had who thought that MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and FORREST GUMP were both nothing but stupid schlock comedies all because someone, supposedly smarter than him ,told him so.

Seems this dude has been far too indoctrinated in the neo Hollywood scenario of "lets make everything seem impossibly hard for our heroes, then in 10 eps, they will have totally overcome these obstacles and solved the dilemma by the end of the season" school of thought

He probably also thinks that "reality"shows are actually real as well

anyhow:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/strain-season-1-finale-review-161000190.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Seems Gus is getting the same kind of talk they give suicide bombers. Wonder if he is going to survive long term?

They did make it more interesting by showing there is a whole "society" of ancient vamps-as long as it doesn't go the whole UNDERWORLD way.

Sadly,we will still have to deal with the whole Mommy son stuff next season too.

I am glad the core of the "team" is still intact for next season. The rat guy is a bright spot.

The mommy story line is, to me, dumb, but I guess we just have to deal with it for awhile longer. I would like some firm resolution with her and the kid next season though. And Eph for that matter. He just isn't that interesting to be honest, plus he's a dick. (Good acting on that character from what I understand as the character of Eph in the books is, supposedly, a dick.)

And yeah, they need to keep Fet, "the rat guy" around for awhile. The could have ditched the blonde chick because she isn't that integral to the story to be honest (at least not as I see it).

And, as much as I like Gus they need to show him more and make his character more central.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The mommy story line is, to me, dumb, but I guess we just have to deal with it for awhile longer. I would like some firm resolution with her and the kid next season though. And Eph for that matter. He just isn't that interesting to be honest, plus he's a dick. (Good acting on that character from what I understand as the character of Eph in the books is, supposedly, a dick.)

And yeah, they need to keep Fet, "the rat guy" around for awhile. The could have ditched the blonde chick because she isn't that integral to the story to be honest (at least not as I see it).

And, as much as I like Gus they need to show him more and make his character more central.

The blonde is needed as she is Fet's love interest (though she may not know it)-other then her and the thrill of killing vamps, he has little to live for.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The blonde is needed as she is Fet's love interest (though she may not know it)-other then her and the thrill of killing vamps, he has little to live for.

They will probably kill her off next season though, and then Fet will use his anger and grief to kick some serious ass.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but i do have this nagging feeling that this show (and the LAST SHIP) are going to go all WALKING DEAD or FALLING SKIES on us

i really hope I am wrong though

=================

I looked for a date for the shows return in 2015-couldn't find one. How about you?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Don't know a date yet either. I suppose it all depends on how much they had or have to film still. Maybe they filmed more in summer. I assume there will be a time lapse between the end of the first season (winter) to a couple months ahead (summer). This is just a guess on my part though.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don't know a date yet either. I suppose it all depends on how much they had or have to film still. Maybe they filmed more in summer. I assume there will be a time lapse between the end of the first season (winter) to a couple months ahead (summer). This is just a guess on my part though.

you mean we will see them anew after a period of unchecked vamp growth and the team will be living in a burned out bus down by the river and calling themselves something like "2nd mass"
:crying-028:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
you mean we will see them anew after a period of unchecked vamp growth and the team will be living in a burned out bus down by the river and calling themselves something like "2nd mass"
:crying-028:

I think there will be a period of regrouping for both the humans and the vamps.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I have not read anyone's previous posts other than the first page so here are my views on this show . It's fricken SCARY !!! . It creeps me out !!! .
As far as the storyline regarding personal issues I accept them as a nice relaxing getaway from the main story so my heart rate and nerves can relax a little and I can look up at the screen again and pull the couch blanket off my head . Keep up the good work writers and please don't stop the boring off topic tales of family woes . My pulse rate and eyes thanks you .

:) :) :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have not read anyone's previous posts other than the first page so here are my views on this show . It's fricken SCARY !!! . It creeps me out !!! .
As far as the storyline regarding personal issues I accept them as a nice relaxing getaway from the main story so my heart rate and nerves can relax a little and I can look up at the screen again and pull the couch blanket off my head . Keep up the good work writers and please don't stop the boring off topic tales of family woes . My pulse rate and eyes thanks you .

:) :) :)

I like this show and give it a lot of leeway when it comes to the boring family stuff. Normally I wouldn't like that kind of filler but I understand what the writers are going for so it's okay...for now. The characters are, for the most part, interesting and the action seems to keep rolling so I keep watching. I'm glad they said it will be back in 2015. :encouragement: