The Strain - SCARY!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's just come out on FTA TV, I missed episode one, but it is series linked now :)

Hopefully you can catch the first ep but if not you should be able to figure out what's happening easily enough. I actually missed the first episode myself believe it or not but managed to follow the story without a problem.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Last I heard FX said it would return in Summer. They didn't give a specific date though. And so far no amount of Googling tells me anything other than that the seasons are going to be shorter -- from 13 episodes to 10. Carlton Cuse says the show should run for five seasons on FX. And supposedly they are going to veer away from the books in terms of story lines. I just hope it remains a cool show though. So far it's been pretty awesome (despite certain characters like Zack the brat).

Love this guy though, lol.

roflbot (9).jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
judgejudyimpatient.gif

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It was OK.
I will need to see more eps to form a proper opinion, but do we really need more versions of Dracula running around?
Oh, I will say these version of vamps are ripped straight from the Necroscope universe.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It was OK.
I will need to see more eps to form a proper opinion, but do we really need more versions of Dracula running around?
Oh, I will say these version of vamps are ripped straight from the Necroscope universe.

As you said, you need to see more eps. It gets better. Things start to coalesce more.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's not bad, don't get me wrong Ape, I'm just seeing the threads before they develop them out properly.
What I can say after 1 episode is that I hope the -characters- are good, because I already know the basic elements they are using. If they just use those elements, I'll be bored, but if they can get some engaging characters and take those elements in interesting ways, I'll keep watching.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's not bad, don't get me wrong Ape, I'm just seeing the threads before they develop them out properly.
What I can say after 1 episode is that I hope the -characters- are good, because I already know the basic elements they are using. If they just use those elements, I'll be bored, but if they can get some engaging characters and take those elements in interesting ways, I'll keep watching.

Normally I'm not a fan of flashbacks but this show does a good job with them. They explain Setrakian's history pretty well but it is stretched out so you don't get it all at once.

As for interesting elements, well, I think they keep things interesting and I'm a very hard sell when it comes to this kind of stuff. And the characters are, for the most part, interesting enough to merit watching. (Eichorst is downright scary.)

p11806002_b_v8_aa.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Seriously dude, if you have not read Necroscope yet (after years of me prodding you to do so) READ THEM.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Seriously dude, if you have not read Necroscope yet (after years of me prodding you to do so) READ THEM.

You'll have to watch and tell me how many similarities you find between this show and Necroscope. At any rate, I dare you not to fall in love with certain characters in this show. Fet is awesome. So is Gus. (And the fact that I'd sleep with both of them if given the chance is not coloring my opinion here I swear! ;))

The show isn't perfect by any means. And yes, it does "echo" other vampire source material at times. But I'm not looking at it too deeply. It's rare to get a good horror TV show these days so I'm just enjoying it for the fun ride that it is, that's all.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I know the guy who is portraying Fet from somewhere, I just can't pin it down.

I'll keep watching, and I'll tell you what I see that compares to necroscope.
Big thing is the notion of the parasites "infecting" the hosts. They are not Vamps per se, but they are -derived- from vampire matter.
In Necroscope, the vampires are not the person it inhabits, but a leech like parasite that enhances what it inhabits and causes the vampire-like abilities and weaknesses. These leeches can "pass on" infected matter and "turn" people, but they are not "true vampires"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just saw on Reddit that the season 3 premiere for this show is August 28th. Not sure why it's starting so late compared to last season but at least it's happening so I'm happy about that. :tealc_newanime006:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just saw on Reddit that the season 3 premiere for this show is August 28th. Not sure why it's starting so late compared to last season but at least it's happening so I'm happy about that. :tealc_newanime006:

It's strange...I started this thread, and was watching the show and suddenly I stopped. No particular reason, I just stopped watching. I should pick it up again. I have missed a season and a half already! If I recall, I think there was a particularly gory episode in season 1 that may have done it? Is this still very gory?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It can be gory, yes. But the kind of gore is usually related to vampires getting whacked so that doesn't bother me.

To me it's like watching a live-action comic book. It's not deep or overly emotional the way TWD is, that's why I can suspend my disbelief and just have fun with it.

ETA: Just be warned, if you continue to watch you will come to completely hate that little shit stain Zack. He's a horrible character portrayed by a horrible actor. Seriously, he's terrible. You will hate him.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Only 25 more days to the return Shaved!

Got your popcorn and beer stocked up?
:smiley-laughing011: :smiley-money-mouth: :joy: