THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
when draper was out and about seeking the ocean, is it just me, or did she look "larger" like bloated? if so, was this just a issue with costuming,etc, or was it done deliberately to show how an unacclimatized martian's body would react to the gravity of earth?

I think it is just camera angle. Add in that Frankie Adams is both Samoan and very buff (her other career aside from acting has been boxing) and from some angles she may look a little stocky.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well Frankie Adams is welcome to stock me to the ground . A good friend of mine is a weight lifter and looks a lot like her lol so I call her Frankie now . Not sure she gets it ... 5ft tall and pushes 200lbs over her head no probs ...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
her appearance aside, i am thinking now it was just bad wardrobe-and apart from the show

would a person born and raised in a lower gravity then earth and then come to earth be affected by the gravity in that way-that is,any kind of "compression" or other issues affecting their appearance in however a small way

i know they would have a lower bone density, so would that effect their ability to stand fully upright against earth gravity?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wonder if this season they make it all the way to the end of Caliban's War? There are two episodes left this season so they would have to be pretty packed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do wonder, how far through Caliban's War will they get before they break? With two episodes it can't be that far, although
it does seem we get Bobbie going to work for Avarsarala

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
her appearance aside, i am thinking now it was just bad wardrobe-and apart from the show

would a person born and raised in a lower gravity then earth and then come to earth be affected by the gravity in that way-that is,any kind of "compression" or other issues affecting their appearance in however a small way

i know they would have a lower bone density, so would that effect their ability to stand fully upright against earth gravity?

They may have to wear compression garments for their lower extremities. These can make going to the bathroom a pain in the a$$. I have to wear compression stockings, and I was born here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I do wonder, how far through Caliban's War will they get before they break? With two episodes it can't be that far, although
it does seem we get Bobbie going to work for Avarsarala
They are going to carry it thru to next season I think.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree. I think they have to more or less.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting episode this week. It started in a more deliberate fashion but right at the end dropped a bomb on the viewer. Seeing as the name of the next episode is "Caliban's War" I think we know where this is heading. Acting is still strong and also the pacing was good.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Interesting episode this week. It started in a more deliberate fashion but right at the end dropped a bomb on the viewer. Seeing as the name of the next episode is "Caliban's War" I think we know where this is heading. Acting is still strong and also the pacing was good.

I hate cliffhangers. Longer seasons should have been shot, so that an entire novel could be done in one season.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They did the same thing last season. Unfortunately these are big books so trying to do entire novels in one season would mean 20+ episode seasons, which nowadays are not how they produce these shows.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hate cliffhangers. Longer seasons should have been shot, so that an entire novel could be done in one season.

The studios which started out at 40 or 50 episodes per weekly episode, whittled it down to 24, then to 12, and now between 6 and 10 episodes. The books flow very well with how they have done this series and for me that adds a lot to the enjoyment. Inside, Im like...Yeah, that is cool how they showed that! But for them to split these events like this is kinda harsh.

They did the same thing last season. Unfortunately these are big books so trying to do entire novels in one season would mean 20+ episode seasons, which nowadays are not how they produce these shows.

Very true, and right now they have brewed a nicely timed, complete experience of this story with all of the details worked out. Exceptional production values.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The studios which started out at 40 or 50 episodes per weekly episode, whittled it down to 24, then to 12, and now between 6 and 10 episodes. The books flow very well with how they have done this series and for me that adds a lot to the enjoyment. Inside, Im like...Yeah, that is cool how they showed that! But for them to split these events like this is kinda harsh.

Very true, and right now they have brewed a nicely timed, complete experience of this story with all of the details worked out. Exceptional production values.

Yep. I can make a good argument that this is flat out the best show on TV right now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. I can make a good argument that this is flat out the best show on TV right now.

No argument there, and it has raised the bar considerably past the soapy BSG-ish era. Do you happen to know the demos on this show? It is only relevant because I believe advertising is still paying a lot for this show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's an interesting question. SyFy has knowingly accepted lower Nielsens because they are selling it to a lot of different online sources where the episode shows the day after it does on SyFy. So when they do their revenue it is only part ads and also part the money from Apple, Netflix, Amazon et al. I gather this is the first time they ever tried financing a show this way (selling in essence live streaming rights before they aired it).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....Season Two closed in great fashion last night!

We got action at Ganymede, Mao's yacht and Venus. In addition, they started the process of shifting the focus location wise to Io. Good acting again, and our band of heroes are all reunited. Spoilery stuff:

We got to see Draper in action in her Marine combat suit - good stuff! Also we now know that Mei was not turned into a Protomolecule soldier, and the survey ship being eaten by the Protomolecule at Venus was well done

When we've been a bit starved for true Science Fiction on TV, the Expanse is refreshing. They also advertised for Killjoys and Dark Matter returning in June and that the entire new season for 12 Monkeys is being shown over three nights in May.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

yes!!! i have been upset over these anemic seasons that seem to be en vogue these days

what ever happened to belting out 20 eps? hell even 15?

not just sci fi but a lot of shows are doing this on the networks and NF/amazon originals

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so for you 2 that have read the books- has the show deviated at all from the books yet?

curious because we all know how so many shows and movies can be going along with the source material lock step and then suddenly somebody gets an "idea"

and without spoiling just who is Caliban? Has he/she been shown in the show yet?

thx :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
anybody seen any info on syfy and what they may have coming up in the way of new shows to fill in the spots 12 monkeys will open? Or just more shows in general on syfy, one that are sci fi not overblown makeup shows?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so for you 2 that have read the books- has the show deviated at all from the books yet?

No, not at all. There is less detail in the books of the visual aspect of places like the Eros Station and Thoth, as well as the physical descriptions of the characters we see in the series, but the story is pretty much exactly what is being told in the books so far. This is my opinion, but I want to read Joelist's response. :)

curious because we all know how so many shows and movies can be going along with the source material lock step and then suddenly somebody gets an "idea"

and without spoiling just who is Caliban? Has he/she been shown in the show yet?

thx :)

Let's just say that the short answer is that there is no Caliban. He is an allegory to a character in a Shakespearean work called "The Tempest", and is a description of what happens with the hybrid soldiers we first see on Ganymede.