THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So have you watched it yet OM?

Thanks for reminding me to watch it! What day does it normally air? I will fire up my Kodi and watch it right now. :) I will comment when I have finished.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
SyFy airs it on Wednesdays.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
EXCELLENT episode, and so close to the book! They actually managed to capture the book imagery visually. Stunning visuals and stunning episode. Just WOW! We are right at the beginning of Caliban's War. :)

EDIT:

I am just gushing over this episode. AWESOME! This is the culmination of the entire story being told over seasons 1 and 2. Julie being back and merged with the proto molecule is interesting. And now Miller intentionally allowing himself to be infected so that he can be with Julie makes things perfect for starting Caliban's war. The visuals of Eros crashing into Venus were AWESOME!

Must see this if you have not watched this show.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. They went a little "Arthur C Clarke" in this installment, with Julie and the Protomolecule. It worked well.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Super Cool !!! Got to speak with Elias Toufexis this morning . What a super nice guy . He said keep watching because we will be blown away by season 2 ... No problem there I told him . It is the best show right now period ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Super Cool !!! Got to speak with Elias Toufexis this morning . What a super nice guy . He said keep watching because we will be blown away by season 2 ... No problem there I told him . It is the best show right now period ...

;) ;) ;)

Caliban's War is the best of this series of books, and we are right up on it. This last episode was the end of Leviathan Wakes. The next series of events is way different than what we have seen.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This episode was actually better (in terms of telling the story) than the corresponding part of the book.

Agreed. They filled it in more than the book did, and it is more interesting in the series than in the book. I read the books last year on Joelist's recommendation, and I am glad I did. :) The book story makes the series seem more complete somehow.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another nice installment.

Bits of humor in the right spots and definitely a bridge between Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why Naomi and Holden in bed?

They are not a match at all. :( Naomi and Amos, definitely. Im just starting this episode, but I actually took a break just to say that.

EDIT:

Good episode. But there are quite a few threads which are left hanging in this one. I know they will clean up those threads in the next episode, and I already know where they fit in the book story. I still don't like the way they did the Naomi and Holden thing. I will have to go back to my books and see how it was done. The story is moving along nicely. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Naomi and Holden are a long term couple in the books - indeed in the latest book they still are a couple. They actually got together a few episodes ago - right around the Eros season finale.

I also noticed the hanging threads, but I also remember that they are setting up the plot lines of Caliban's War. That book had a lot of stuff going on. Now this episode, it was sort of a combination of the very beginning of Caliban's War and the short story "Drive" (the Expanse literary series consists of full books and also short stories and novellas that connect the novels).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Naomi and Holden are a long term couple in the books - indeed in the latest book they still are a couple. They actually got together a few episodes ago - right around the Eros season finale.

I also noticed the hanging threads, but I also remember that they are setting up the plot lines of Caliban's War. That book had a lot of stuff going on. Now this episode, it was sort of a combination of the very beginning of Caliban's War and the short story "Drive" (the Expanse literary series consists of full books and also short stories and novellas that connect the novels).

I know how they did it in the book, but on screen they are just not a match. Hard to explain why I see it that way. The actress who plays Naomi and the actor who plays Amos are a match. Good chemistry. This Holden is too broody and low-key to be with this Naomi. Dontcha think? And yeah, this is sort of like the prologue into Caliban's War. I imagine they will close this season with the protomolecule doing what it does with Venus (no spoilers!), essentially starting Caliban's War full scale.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm kind of liking having a lower key protagonist here. He feels more like what Holden is - a regular ship officer caught up in bigger events. As to him and Naomi, while they aren't a great couple in chemistry terms they do have some chemistry.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I am so happy with this series. It's mature, adult science fiction and it is all well thought out at every step. It never occurred to me before, but it seems that when a book is written before a movie or TV series is made based upon it, the timeline already has a firm guideline. It's why everything is going so smoothly. It makes me wonder what sort of idea shows like SGU and Falling Skies and Defiance were being guided by? NO WAY was there a "guiding light" they were following. The Expanse has the benefit of being based upon a great series of books. Maybe that is why it is so good? Add the movie quality visuals and well-chosen cast, this couldn't have been anything but a winner. :)

Not always true....two words.. Shannara Chronicles :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not always true....two words.. Shannara Chronicles :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The thing to remember is here the book authors have creative control over the show. They are making sure it doesn't wander too far from the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The thing to remember is here the book authors have creative control over the show. They are making sure it doesn't wander too far from the story.

That is VERY clearly seen after reading the books then watching this series.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good episode tonight. A bit slower again but then again they have quite a bit of groundwork to lay to show Caliban's War. Acting was again good, and we can see the issues surrounding getting the disparate Belter factions to present a common front. In particular, Frankie Adams shone as Bobbie Draper.

I'm not minding them taking the time to set up the event of Caliban's War properly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good episode tonight. A bit slower again but then again they have quite a bit of groundwork to lay to show Caliban's War. Acting was again good, and we can see the issues surrounding getting the disparate Belter factions to present a common front. In particular, Frankie Adams shone as Bobbie Draper.

I'm not minding them taking the time to set up the event of Caliban's War properly.

I am going to watch this shortly. I agree with the bolded. They just HAVE to set it up right, or the coming events won't make sense to those who have not read the book. The nature of the protomolecule has to be gone into in detail. I'll comment again after watching the episode.