THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
OM is correct - Caliban is not a character per se but rather a project codename that does indeed refer back to Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

As to the show correlating to the books, it has hewn pretty closely to the books. Differences mostly have been in adding details in some areas and in a couple of cases we are seeing a character enter the story before the did in the books - the biggest case of this is Avarsarala.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OM is correct - Caliban is not a character per se but rather a project codename that does indeed refer back to Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

As to the show correlating to the books, it has hewn pretty closely to the books. Differences mostly have been in adding details in some areas and in a couple of cases we are seeing a character enter the story before the did in the books - the biggest case of this is Avarsarala.

Yes, Avarsarala came into the story much later in the books. My guess is that since they contracted her at the outset and had to pay her even if she was not being shown, that they put her in there early Plus, Shoreh Aghdashloo is so fun to watch and I absolutely LOVE her. :)

The way they ended this season, it looks like most of next season will be Caliban's War. It could be the whole season, and perhaps the one after that. Once they hit the events of Abbadon's Gate, this becomes a whole new show almost. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure it can be the whole season per se. We're basically finished at Ganymede and the focus is beginning to shift to Venus and Io. So we'll see.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not sure it can be the whole season per se. We're basically finished at Ganymede and the focus is beginning to shift to Venus and Io. So we'll see.

The cliffhanger at the end of next season could give us the Gate from Abbadon's Gate. If they do that, a Season 5 would be awesome.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Woohoo !!! All caught up ... Wow ... That's all I have to say ...

;) ;) ;)

Best show on TV right now. Pity we're now waiting for next season :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Best show on TV right now. Pity we're now waiting for next season :(
Definitely the best show on TV right now. And it is the best on so many levels! The author is still relatively young and still writing these Expanse books. We potentially have a new cult show on our hands here. One with VERY long legs that can carry decades into the future (IRL). It has potential to stimulate new real life technologies and ideas. I bet Elon Musk watches it. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 3 confirmed

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/syfy-expanse-season-3/

Syfy has renewed the sci-fi drama for a 13-episode third season, the network announced Thursday. The pick-up comes in the midst of the series’ second season, which airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.

mcrn-min-8.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Expanse Season 3 official trailer! Look for the show early 2018.

More content, but many scenes from previous seasons.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Given where Season 2 left off, Season 3 should see the Rings built as well as the apprehension of Jules Mao. I do wonder a bit where they will take the character of Bobbie Draper as Season 2 was in a very real way her story. In the books she becomes Avarsarala's aide before later joining a veterans outreach.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given where Season 2 left off, Season 3 should see the Rings built as well as the apprehension of Jules Mao. I do wonder a bit where they will take the character of Bobbie Draper as Season 2 was in a very real way her story. In the books she becomes Avarsarala's aide before later joining a veterans outreach.

Right. And how many episodes are we going to get I wonder? They will have to built at least the ring in Sol and show how it goes to Ilus to demonstrate how they work. Along with Bobbie Draper, the events of Abbadon's Gate will probably be the majority of Season 3. According to the Expanse Wikia, we will see it next season in Season 3.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_network

expanse.PNG

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If they follow the books he will "reappear".

I haven't read the books yet but I'm curious to know if the show has deviated from the story at all? Have they been fairly accurate in keeping to the books? So far this show has been very good quality (for SyFy especially) and I would hate to see them ruin it by screwing with the source material. (And isn't season 3 where these shows typically start to go wrong?)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually they have stayed very close to the books. I think the book authors having creative control helps. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't read the books yet but I'm curious to know if the show has deviated from the story at all? Have they been fairly accurate in keeping to the books? So far this show has been very good quality (for SyFy especially) and I would hate to see them ruin it by screwing with the source material. (And isn't season 3 where these shows typically start to go wrong?)

Joelist and I have read the books that are published. The authors are young and fresh and still writing the stories. The show is very closely following the books with minor tweaks (done with approval of the authors). Like Joelist said, the authors of the books have creative control over the story and how things flow. Like in Babylon 5, the production is simply fleshing out the already existing storyline. Shows like Killjoys and Dark Matter are basically done a season at a time, and they are expressly writing for a TV show.

For me, the coolest thing about the show is that they started off with universe building, just like Star Trek and Babylon 5 did. The Expanse is building it's universe, it's tech, it's character backstories and locales. Without spoiling it too much, the next season introduces a story element which takes this show into Stargate territory, only better. The books speak of thousands of rings, perhaps millions. Not only that, there will be alien tech. HOWEVER, probably no actual aliens. I think that is really cool. The aliens came billions of years earlier and are gone. Let me shut up now!

Joelist and I have read the books that are published. The authors are young and fresh and still writing the stories. The show is very closely following the books with minor tweaks (done with approval of the authors). Like Joelist said, the authors of the books have creative control over the story and how things flow. Like in Babylon 5, the production is simply fleshing out the already existing storyline. Shows like Killjoys and Dark Matter are basically done a season at a time, and they are expressly writing for a TV show.

For me, the coolest thing about the show is that they started off with universe building, just like Star Trek and Babylon 5 did. The Expanse is building it's universe, it's tech, it's character backstories and locales. Without spoiling it too much, the next season introduces a story element which takes this show into Stargate territory, only better. The books speak of thousands of rings, perhaps millions. Not only that, there will be alien tech. HOWEVER, probably no actual aliens. I think that is really cool. The aliens came billions of years earlier and are gone. Let me shut up now!

Yes, but are there magic stones? :daniel_new004:

pierresgu.jpeg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, but are there magic stones? :daniel_new004:

pierresgu.jpeg

:icon_rotflmao:

No, those were pure comedy! :P

stargateuniver2.gif

In this, the super advanced tech comes from long gone aliens and has been left behind (a la the Ancients). You should read the books! :pride:

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Eh, just watched the first episode. Looks like a combination of Bsg and babylon 5. More boring dark, gritty dystopian fiction. :tealc_new050::tealc_new050: