THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The thing to remember is here the book authors have creative control over the show. They are making sure it doesn't wander too far from the story.

so did terry brooks - he sold his soul to evil! :tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23:

he got so much pushback from his fans he shut down the comments and forum on his website! the pussy! :psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thus far the authors who collectively write under the pen name James Corey are keeping the series on a close track to the books. And with the complexity of the books its important that it does so.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so did terry brooks - he sold his soul to evil! :tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23::tealcanime23:

he got so much pushback from his fans he shut down the comments and forum on his website! the pussy! :psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga::psychosga:

The Shannara Chronicles series was a travesty. It was so far off the books it was unrecognizable. Like the way NuTrek feels to me. It isn't Star Trek, and that thing they aired with the Shannara Chronicles was some sort of changeling turd laid by something large and stinky.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not surprising. It is a moneymaker for them because of all the streaming deals they made (Amazon, Netflix, Apple TV) where new episodes appear right after the air on SyFy. Also SyFy puts the full episodes on its website right after they air too.

They have raised the Science Fiction bar quite significantly with The Expanse. It's real science fiction true to the definition, plus it is AWESOME, and has awesome special effects to back up the story. I love the way they use the special effects only to allow the story to be visualized rather than to show off.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i of course love the show, one thing that I like in particular, is the way the TPTB work in some dark sardonic comedy (is it in the books as well?)

one example last season's finale after the got irradiated on Eros and put in the med chairs, Amos tells them (paraphrasing) "you guys are lucky, the chair put you into hospice mode but it looks like you'll make it..."

the way that Amos delivers that line-his voice, his body language and timing; IDK if it is a skill of the actor's or the way the director did it, but it was just so well done

there seems to be a bit of this in nearly every episode-missed by many I am sure.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i of course love the show, one thing that I like in particular, is the way the TPTB work in some dark sardonic comedy (is it in the books as well?)

one example last season's finale after the got irradiated on Eros and put in the med chairs, Amos tells them (paraphrasing) "you guys are lucky, the chair put you into hospice mode but it looks like you'll make it..."

the way that Amos delivers that line-his voice, his body language and timing; IDK if it is a skill of the actor's or the way the director did it, but it was just so well done

there seems to be a bit of this in nearly every episode-missed by many I am sure.

If you halfway like to read, then you really need to read the other published books in this series. The first book was the show's first and most of the second season. We are about to enter the events of Caliban's War which is the second book, and that could easily take up two seasons by itself. But possibly the most interesting of the three I have read so far is Abbadon's Gate. We get what could only be described as the Expanse's version of a STARGATE! I really hope this series continues for many many years. It has the right stuff. Read the books.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week's episode was quite good, picking the pace up smartly and putting our heroes in position for the big events of Caliban's War. I can't go further without getting spoilery, but good acting and writing all around.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This week's episode was quite good, picking the pace up smartly and putting our heroes in position for the big events of Caliban's War. I can't go further without getting spoilery, but good acting and writing all around.

I kind of spoiled Abbadon's Gate, but not really. :) Lots of stuff happens in that novel. It could be the best part of this Expanse universe. But that would have to happen at least two more seasons from now. They could condense Caliban's War. And they could easily stretch Abbadon's gate into several seasons. They could even spin it off into a new series.

I have not yet read Cibola Burn. I don't know which form you got your books, but the Kindle versions are about $10.00 each.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week was interesting, especially in terms of the Bobbie Draper character.

The episode deftly continues the setup for the big events of Caliban's War, and as Caliban's War is in a real way the story of Bobbie Draper and her personal journey it only makes sense that she was a focal point this episode, and it looks like next week too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you see last week's OM?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmm......how to describe this episode without being spoilery?

VERY nice episode. It continued drawing in the lines of the character of Bobbie Draper, who is fast becoming one of my favorite characters. I love the way she employs a soldier's directness - once she decided to play hooky she went about it in a very methodical and military manner.

Oh. And.....

Errinwright confessed everything to Avasarala, so she now knows what really happened on Ganymede. I have to think that Jules Pierre Mao won't be free much longer. Also, the crew of the Roci have discovered an old area of Ganymede where I'm pretty sure they will find the Protomolecule again

Yes this season is a slightly slow burn, but you can feel it starting to accelerate.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just watched SO2 EP5 ..This show just keeps getting better with each ep ... Can't wait to watch the rest ...

;) ;) ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just wow again . This show has given me goosebumps for the visuals , almost tears for the emotional parts such as July and Miller ,,, Mia ,,, fear for monsters and destruction and a thrill for depicting what space could be like in the future .

;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And...another fantastic episode. Spoilery stuff:

Bobbie Draper defected and spilled the beans on high ranking Mars officials working with Mao. Holden and company found the protomolecule creature on Ganymede.

Non-spoilery. I love the Bobbie Draper character. She thinks like a soldier and acts and speaks very directly. Frankie Adams was a find by the producers to play this role - she is nailing it perfectly. In the same vein, Shohreh Aghdashloo is killing it as Chrisjen, and in this episode especially she got to shine.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
when draper was out and about seeking the ocean, is it just me, or did she look "larger" like bloated? if so, was this just a issue with costuming,etc, or was it done deliberately to show how an unacclimatized martian's body would react to the gravity of earth?