THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Eh, just watched the first episode. Looks like a combination of Bsg and babylon 5. More boring dark, gritty dystopian fiction. :tealc_new050::tealc_new050:

Interesting...you should watch a few more episodes. This is nothing like BSG or Babylon 5. It's really good science fiction and not really like anything before it. I was not that into it on the first episode either, but then after about 3 episodes and especially after reading the books, I became excited about it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Eh, just watched the first episode. Looks like a combination of Bsg and babylon 5. More boring dark, gritty dystopian fiction. :tealc_new050::tealc_new050:

Perhaps. But give it at least a few episodes. I wasn't quite captivated by the first episode either but then I got hooked.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Interesting...you should watch a few more episodes. This is nothing like BSG or Babylon 5. It's really good science fiction and not really like anything before it. I was not that into it on the first episode either, but then after about 3 episodes and especially after reading the books, I became excited about it.
Perhaps. But give it at least a few episodes. I wasn't quite captivated by the first episode either but then I got hooked.

Will do, but it looks more like Space Opera than Science Fiction to me and I hate those dark lighting in the shots. I see it in a lot of other shows that have that dystopian era. But, I will give it more go to see if my opinion would change.

The Continuum looks more appealing to me to be honest and I know that has ended but it has Bra'tac :D

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Continuum was good. Although the ending was disappointing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Will do, but it looks more like Space Opera than Science Fiction to me and I hate those dark lighting in the shots. I see it in a lot of other shows that have that dystopian era. But, I will give it more go to see if my opinion would change.

The Continuum looks more appealing to me to be honest and I know that has ended but it has Bra'tac :D

You haven't seen Continuum? MUST WATCH! It was great, but like Lord Ba'al said, the ending is disappointing. Continuum is one of the first series cancelled by Syfy that actually got wrapped up because the fans wanted an ending. There were so many complaints about shows that ended on Syfy suddenly without ever being ended, that they actually gave us one, even though that ending was disappointing.

What I find appealing about The Expanse is the realism of how people live and travel in space. They do a good job of showing the lack of gravity on space ships. That may sound like a small point to make but honestly I'm sick of scifi shows that don't even address the issue of gravity on space ships; sick of scifi shows that treat futuristic technology either as window dressing for bad melodrama or magic devices that operate outside the laws of physics. This show at least respects the intelligence of the viewers in that regard. For that alone it's worth it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Expanse gets the physics right. Not only do people act in space they way they really physically do but the ships also get the physics right.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Continuum was good but yes the ending was a little disappointing. Even going back to the end of the third season I liked the well set up epiphany Kiera had and how she winds up leading Liber8 there, but to be honest her explanation that it was her shifting timelines back in Season 2 that actually created the dark future was naff. Ryan Gosling's account of things was pretty clear - it was actually Liber8s actions in the past that created the dark future - their motives were not necessarily bad but their history changing approach (which lacked knowledge of exactly what to change) was disastrous. And yes the final scenes where Kiera is back in a much nicer future but can never be with her husband or son because there is another Kiera already there was both a downer and also completely predictable (as soon as she jumped timelines it was obvious there would be an alt Kiera in the future).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As to The Expanse, it spent its first few episodes setting up the world before it launched into its overarching stories. And interestingly, after acting like it might turn soapy early on its has never actually done so. The pacing gets progressively crisper and at least for me it got to be fun just watching these characters interact.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
It has been many a year but if I remember correctly the same company that produced 'Continuum' also made 'The Vikings'. As the Vikings is going into its sixth season I think they were smart going with 'The Vikings'.

As for 'The Expanse', the LOST Universe must be a twittering as Elizabeth Mitchell is joining the show during the third season.

I guess I should edit in the part about NetFlix televising a whole slew of the SyFy shows like Dark Matter, Z Nation, and several more, so if these shows are original to SyFy then that must be an extra money stream to them.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Netflix does not have The Expanse. SyFy's streaming deals (which largely pay for the show) are with Amazon, Apple, Google and I think Hulu Plus. It is produced by Alcon Entertainment.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
It has been many a year but if I remember correctly the same company that produced 'Continuum' also made 'The Vikings'. As the Vikings is going into its sixth season I think they were smart going with 'The Vikings'.

As for 'The Expanse', the LOST Universe must be a twittering as Elizabeth Mitchell is joining the show during the third season.

I guess I should edit in the part about NetFlix televising a whole slew of the SyFy shows like Dark Matter, Z Nation, and several more, so if these shows are original to SyFy then that must be an extra money stream to them.

For us, I do believe that 'The Expanse' is on the other Canadian purveyor of mass entertainment called "CraveTV", which is directly owned by Bell Media and in turn owns our Space Channel.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Netflix does not have The Expanse. SyFy's streaming deals (which largely pay for the show) are with Amazon, Apple, Google and I think Hulu Plus. It is produced by Alcon Entertainment.

It does over here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Trust me when I tell you that The Expanse has nothing you can compare it to past or present. It's beyond Star Trek, beyond Babylon 5, beyond Star Wars. It's the real deal science fiction which fits squarely and clearly into the definition of science fiction. Nothing in it is magical, and even the alien presence and the tech which is to come is introduced in a purely science fiction context.

If you are a science buff, then you are going to love this show, and you will also like it if you like space stories and seeing people work and live (and battle) in space. This is not in the same class as 20th century science fiction fare. This is straight up 21st century style scifi. To me, it's the best show on television.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been on Expanse withdrawal since last season. Season 3 is coming soon and here is a trailer:

:daniel_new_anime021::tealc_newanime006::smiley_joy:

Best. Show. On. TV.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm guessing Season Three gets us all the way through Caliban's War at least.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm guessing Season Three gets us all the way through Caliban's War at least.

It should get us all the way to Abbadon's Gate. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
OMG please say it's not Elizabeth Mitchel ! Every show she is in gets canceled no ?... I love her but the shows she has been in are always ended rather quickly . V ,,, Revolution ,,, a few others . I see she was in Lost . I do not member her in it . Guess because I was not watching it lol ... Hope it won't affect the show ... Dam she is hot tho ...

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG please say it's not Elizabeth Mitchel ! Every show she is in gets canceled no ?... I love her but the shows she has been in are always ended rather quickly . V ,,, Revolution ,,, a few others . I see she was in Lost . I do not member her in it . Guess because I was not watching it lol ... Hope it won't affect the show ... Dam she is hot tho ...

;)

What is she gonna do in this show? :( The Expanse gets the balance between drama and scifi right. That means it does not get soapy, and because I trust the writers and I already know how the story is SUPPOSED to play out, I think they will make her a worthy addition.