THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like that they are keeping the story moving (something The Walking Dead could learn). Tonight they took us very crisply through repairing the Rocinante, the first contact between Johnson and Crisjen, the discovery that Eros has something going on and the start of the plan to destroy it. Another excellent episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like that they are keeping the story moving (something The Walking Dead could learn). Tonight they took us very crisply through repairing the Rocinante, the first contact between Johnson and Crisjen, the discovery that Eros has something going on and the start of the plan to destroy it. Another excellent episode.

I am just preparing to watch it. :) This series is following the book story surprisingly closely, even though it deviates a bit here and there.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure how to summarize this episode (which was great) without spoiling like crazy.

That said, again they are keeping up the pace and moving the story pretty crisply along. Acting again was good, and in this episode Holden shone as did Chrisjen. At this pace we'll be at the end of Leviathan Wakes by midseason.

On to Spoilery stuff:

They moved even faster than I expected. Chrisjen put a lot of it together and I think Mao is right - she knows the Secretary General is in on it. It's just a matter of time before we see the UN Special Forces deployed to round up Mao and Protogen as in Caliban's War. Miller is back on Eros and the Nauvoo ramming operation failed so they are moving fast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not sure how to summarize this episode (which was great) without spoiling like crazy.

That said, again they are keeping up the pace and moving the story pretty crisply along. Acting again was good, and in this episode Holden shone as did Chrisjen. At this pace we'll be at the end of Leviathan Wakes by midseason.

On to Spoilery stuff:

They moved even faster than I expected. Chrisjen put a lot of it together and I think Mao is right - she knows the Secretary General is in on it. It's just a matter of time before we see the UN Special Forces deployed to round up Mao and Protogen as in Caliban's War. Miller is back on Eros and the Nauvoo ramming operation failed so they are moving fast.

I am doing a catchup view on this and the next episode right now on Kodi. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually this is the latest episode. There are a total of three so far.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually this is the latest episode. There are a total of three so far.

There are four. The last one I just watched was Godspeed which is Season 2, Episode 4. AWESOME episode!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

On to Spoilery stuff:

This is episode 4!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oops! You're right - I forgot the premiere was two episodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oops! You're right - I forgot the premiere was two episodes.

I am so happy with this series. It's mature, adult science fiction and it is all well thought out at every step. It never occurred to me before, but it seems that when a book is written before a movie or TV series is made based upon it, the timeline already has a firm guideline. It's why everything is going so smoothly. It makes me wonder what sort of idea shows like SGU and Falling Skies and Defiance were being guided by? NO WAY was there a "guiding light" they were following. The Expanse has the benefit of being based upon a great series of books. Maybe that is why it is so good? Add the movie quality visuals and well-chosen cast, this couldn't have been anything but a winner. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think it is a combination of being based on a good book series, having the book authors also having creative control over the show, good acting and good general screenwriting.

What is also interesting is the fact that (as mentioned somewhere upthread) the world building in the books actually came out of the authors "playing" a role playing game where they designed the setting.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Based on the preview for this week's episode, I think the next two episodes will take us to the end of Leviathan Wakes. That would mean that roughly March 1 the story should move to Caliban's War.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All caught up on the eps . Wow . Just wow ... Great show !

;) ;) ;)

Isn't it? :) It's gritty and deep without being like BSG or anything quite before it. If you like to read, the books are even more exciting. The show is following the books very closely.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Some guy I know does not like The Expanse but he loved BSG,Lost and who knows what else . Both were crap . He never mentioned sgpoo and neither was I ...
Guess He likes fluff and suds more than futuristic scientific super terrific...
;) ;) ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
OK you guys have intrigued me, I might have to give this a shot!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OK you guys have intrigued me, I might have to give this a shot!

You will LOVE this one Rac! It is a thinking person's scifi show without being fake deep (like the Arrival movie that just came out a little while ago).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And.....the excellence continues!

We have now finished Leviathan Wakes!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To go into a little more depth, this episode was a tiny bit slower paced than the last two. And it worked very well, as it was more of a journey of discovery (seen thorough the eyes of one character) than anything else. It makes me think that they sped up things the last two episodes so that they would have the extra time in this episode to let things unfold more gradually whilst still staying "on track". The Walking Dead in particular should look at this show to understand what pacing is.

I'm guessing next week will be a "bridge" episode then we dive into Caliban's War.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So have you watched it yet OM?