Terra Nova

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Unfortunately 28 days later is not on netflix. It is on Amazon Instant Video.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Overmind is pretty much on point here. The stuff gets all muddled with nonsense and the result is not very good.

Have you seen 28 Days Later? It is a good example of a film that stays focused on point. It is light on the science detail because it is a plague from the point of view of a couple of ordinary people. But it is effective. For that matter so is I Am Legend (especially with the original ending).

LOVED that movie! Agree with everything you said here, too.

Bluce Ree

My weekly tribute to Terra Nova done in really swift looking italics.

=YAWN!=

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have not seen that. Is it on Netflix? If so, I would be willing to do a rewatch with you on it.

Depends which "I Am Legend" version you're talking about. The original 1964 movie (taken from the story) "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price is actually quite good. I was amazed at how it laid the ground work for a lot of the zombie stuff we have now. For 1964 it was ahead of its time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We were speaking of the Will Smith film, which is also a quality movie. I agree that The Last Man on Earth is an underrated classic. As to rewatch we were thinking of 28 Days Later.

G

Graybrew1

I like this darn show.This was a good ep overall. I think debating the merits of the ep would be nicer than just continually bashing another show would be great. The army spy stuff is good and very scifi to me. Dna, dinos and action. One stupid scene did not make ep bad.This show is not going anywhere. It will be here for a while and has great potential.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like this darn show.This was a good ep overall. I think debating the merits of the ep would be nicer than just continually bashing another show would be great. The army spy stuff is good and very scifi to me. Dna, dinos and action. One stupid scene did not make ep bad.This show is not going anywhere. It will be here for a while and has great potential.

I've tried to be objective about this show to be honest. Yes some things really bug me about it but I don't think it's horrible as scifi shows go. I have to be honest about it though and admit that the production values alone preclude it from having a lengthy run. Plus the fact that it can't seem to make up its mind as to whether it's a scifi action adventure or if it's a kiddy show or what it is. Lumping everything together does not make for a long run usually. I know that's cynical but from my perspective it tends to be true.

That said, I do like the pace of the show. Yes there is drama but it's not always bad melodrama and they tend to not draw it out for the most part. There is an over all story arc going on but they seem to keep the show more episodic and have resolutions each episode. This is a good thing, a very good thing. Also, the majority of the characters are likable with the exception of the cliche's like the angry teen son or the precocious little girl. Even the "bad" chick is likable on some level.

There are serious flaws with the premise though and they have yet to be addressed. The issue of traveling from one universe to another universe is a GIANT issue that hasn't been addressed even though they are using it as a plot point. They need to hurry up and explain what the hell one timeline has to do with another timeline in regards to the conflict of controlling either one as right now it's illogical.

If the show lasts I won't mind but again, I think the production values will kill it off quicker than the flaws in the premise ever could which makes our assessment of it something of a moot point.

Bluce Ree

I've tried to be objective about this show to be honest. Yes some things really bug me about it but I don't think it's horrible as scifi shows go. I have to be honest about it though and admit that the production values alone preclude it from having a lengthy run. Plus the fact that it can't seem to make up its mind as to whether it's a scifi action adventure or if it's a kiddy show or what it is. Lumping everything together does not make for a long run usually. I know that's cynical but from my perspective it tends to be true.

That said, I do like the pace of the show. Yes there is drama but it's not always bad melodrama and they tend to not draw it out for the most part. There is an over all story arc going on but they seem to keep the show more episodic and have resolutions each episode. This is a good thing, a very good thing. Also, the majority of the characters are likable with the exception of the cliche's like the angry teen son or the precocious little girl. Even the "bad" chick is likable on some level.

There are serious flaws with the premise though and they have yet to be addressed. The issue of traveling from one universe to another universe is a GIANT issue that hasn't been addressed even though they are using it as a plot point. They need to hurry up and explain what the hell one timeline has to do with another timeline in regards to the conflict of controlling either one as right now it's illogical.

If the show lasts I won't mind but again, I think the production values will kill it off quicker than the flaws in the premise ever could which makes our assessment of it something of a moot point.

I have to agree with the bolded. When I watched the pilot, they explained that this timeline was not in their time stream since the probe that was sent back could not be found in the future. At the same time, it was mentioned that the Sixers had some plan to control the past since it would lead to control of the future. I scratched my head as I listened to that and asked myself, "WTF??" because, as was made clear, this timeline had nothing to do with the timeline in their original universe.

G

Graybrew1

Okay, thank you for your opinion on the merits of this show.

Now, about this specific ep. I think they did might some more strides to decide what kind of show they want to be. One little lamish scene at the end to get rid of the baby dino, but the rest was all scif/adventure. I don't mean the kind of scifi we all love, I mean the kind of scifi that we get now. It had DNA, more talk about the science behind the sixers plan. It gave us the real spy and the reason for their treason and made us understand how the two enemies are equally matched and destined to battle till the end. We got alot more action and a bit more dinos. A couple of good scenes... I loved where the cop was destroying the scientists other work to get him to run the test by "accidently" being a Klutz and wrecking all of his other stuff.

G

Graybrew1

I have to agree with the bolded. When I watched the pilot, they explained that this timeline was not in their time stream since the probe that was sent back could not be found in the future. At the same time, it was mentioned that the Sixers had some plan to control the past since it would lead to control of the future. I scratched my head as I listened to that and asked myself, "WTF??" because, as was made clear, this timeline had nothing to do with the timeline in their original universe.

I can agree with this as well. The show is not without several flaws. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will just have to make this a marathon and catch up. I watched the pilot and one other episode (episode 3) and gave up. But in order to have a truly objective opinion about this show and comment here objectively, I think a marathon is in order :icon_e_confused:. I think I may have an eyeroll attack, but at least I can watch the show. I even gave SGU that! :)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I will just have to make this a marathon and catch up. I watched the pilot and one other episode (episode 3) and gave up. But in order to have a truly objective opinion about this show and comment here objectively, I think a marathon is in order :icon_e_confused:. I think I may have an eyeroll attack, but at least I can watch the show. I even gave SGU that! :)

I look forward to seeing some new facepalms... :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, thank you for your opinion on the merits of this show.

Now, about this specific ep. I think they did might some more strides to decide what kind of show they want to be. One little lamish scene at the end to get rid of the baby dino, but the rest was all scif/adventure. I don't mean the kind of scifi we all love, I mean the kind of scifi that we get now. It had DNA, more talk about the science behind the sixers plan. It gave us the real spy and the reason for their treason and made us understand how the two enemies are equally matched and destined to battle till the end. We got alot more action and a bit more dinos. A couple of good scenes... I loved where the cop was destroying the scientists other work to get him to run the test by "accidently" being a Klutz and wrecking all of his other stuff.

The fact that the father is a detective (a cop) actually works quite well I believe. What's believable is that everyone comes to Terra Nova thinking it to be this idyllic place yet we've seen several moments now where they've had to deal with larger police issues including murder. (Please Stoneless, let's not rehash you theory that it wasn't murder.:roll: ) I think the rapid pace does much to make it interesting in this regard.

G

Graybrew1

The fact that the father is a detective (a cop) actually works quite well I believe. What's believable is that everyone comes to Terra Nova thinking it to be this idyllic place yet we've seen several moments now where they've had to deal with larger police issues including murder. (Please Stoneless, let's not rehash you theory that it wasn't murder.:roll: ) I think the rapid pace does much to make it interesting in this regard.

Good Point, and Mom being a doctor gives us another vantage point as well. I was a bit confused by her running the DNA test at all. The scientist should have done that not her???

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Good Point, and Mom being a doctor gives us another vantage point as well. I was a bit confused by her running the DNA test at all. The scientist should have done that not her???

oh come now- you know how it is in scifi today...a person is an expert on EVERYTHING (think Sam on sg1) :rolleyes:. Actually, I think the mom ran it because they were trying to keep it a secret.

G

Graybrew1

oh come now- you know how it is in scifi today...a person is an expert on EVERYTHING (think Sam on sg1) :rolleyes:. Actually, I think the mom ran it because they were trying to keep it a secret.
But the scientist had already started it, I just saw it as a typical plot hole that every dang scifi show has nowadays.

Bluce Ree

Why do I feel like I'm reading commentary on the Robinsons from Lost in Space? :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The "mom" doesn't do much for me I admit. I don't know if it's the actress or the character but for some reason she's just not that appealing. There's nothing special about her and in a way she's kind of annoying. I still haven't forgiven her for the way she blamed her daughter for not telling her about her suspicions that her professor was a fake when in fact the daughter had tried to talk to her about it. She actually chastised her for not trying harder. Lame.

The other women on the show are much more appealing and have their own identities. So let's put the "mom" in the dino feed bag category.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well hubby has given up on Terra Nova....can't say I blame him...time is too precious to waste. I'll still probably catch it on the weekends (still haven't watched last weeks:P) but I don't know how much longer I'll stick with it!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I thought the season finale was good and the cliffhanger was interesting. :)