Terra Nova

heisenberg

Earl Grey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc

New Trailer for the upcoming mini-series from Spielberg which is filmed in Australia btw! :D. Is it me or does this show remind you of Jurassic park?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc

New Trailer for the upcoming mini-series from Spielberg which is filmed in Australia btw! :D. Is it me or does this show remind you of Jurassic park?

Yup! and LOST, STARGATE (the walking into a shiny pool of light thing, AVATAR, RAMBO, PREDATOR, EARTH 2, SOUND OF THUNDER, etc, etc, (hopefully it is just the 'bright, shiny, trailer that looks like these others!:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Someone throw me a bone here (a dinosaur bone is fine)

Isn't this the Spielberg production that got held back a year or so? Off the top of my head I seem to recall that there was some issue with it not being up to snuff so they pushed it back to fix it. I can't recall the details other than it was a big enough issue that it derailed the premiere until now.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Isn't this the Spielberg production that got held back a year or so? Off the top of my head I seem to recall that there was some issue with it not being up to snuff so they pushed it back to fix it. I can't recall the details other than it was a big enough issue that it derailed the premiere until now.
Yes it is, but this "not being up to snuff" story is fishy to me: either a PR gag to make the series sound better, or the guys in post production screwed up and didn't finish their job in time.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Yes it is, but this "not being up to snuff" story is fishy to me: either a PR gag to make the series sound better, or the guys in post production screwed up and didn't finish their job in time.

They didn't screw up, it just took longer than they thought. That and the guys filming didn't get enough footage for the pilot because of the amount of VFX in the show - it was hard to judge. This wasn't delayed that long btw, it was just meant to have its pilot air in the spring/summer ala Glee to build momentum. Alas due to the aforementioned problems they could not do that.

The trailer looks good though so I'm hoping it holds up :).

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They didn't screw up, it just took longer than they thought. That and the guys filming didn't get enough footage for the pilot because of the amount of VFX in the show - it was hard to judge. This wasn't delayed that long btw, it was just meant to have its pilot air in the spring/summer ala Glee to build momentum. Alas due to the aforementioned problems they could not do that.

The trailer looks good though so I'm hoping it holds up :).

Yep they didn't get enough footages which is why they went back to Australia to shoot some more and work on the VFX. This show is expensive btw. It costs like 4 million dollar an episode to shoot.
http://blastr.com/2010/05/12-things-we-know-about-s.php

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, been able to do some research...

I hate to piss in everyone's cereal but I'm not optimistic about "Terra Nova". It's too expensive for what amounts to a dinosaur version of "Lost in Space". Not only is the budget insanely high for a TV series but the production has, as we all know, been beset by problems from the get-go. There's been way too much infighting between producers. In fact, the production pool is as big and cumbersome as a brontosaurus. There's just too damn many producers with their hands on the controls. This alone is enough to ruin a good idea.

So, untenable budget plus too many cooks in the kitchen does not bode well for "Terra Nova".

http://scifi.about.com/b/2011/04/18/thr-terra-nova-had-more-problems-than-effects.htm

http://www.lovefilm.com/news/Spielbergs-Terra-Nova-In-Trouble-?cid=lfrss_news

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
seems intresting.

ill be watching.
and nice to see something hat actually touches on the HUGE overpopulation issues we already suffer from and we will suffer more from in the near future.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, from what I gather the story is this (?) Earth is screwed up, time travel discovered, so, ppl travel back in time, end up in a time on Earth where there are still Dino's. If correct, is this time choice intentional? I mean it wouldn't make much sense if they are hoping to re-boot humanity. They will fail as the dino's did, you still got that big asteroid or meteor coming at the Yucatan Peninsula that created the mass extinction event that wiped out the dino's and much of everything else above ground--so why intentionally go there? there is so much more time available later in time where conditions would be far more optimal-even most of the vegetation during the Dino's age(s) was not like todays and would most likely be inedible, and very few, really small mammals to add to the menu as well. Not to mention that at the right time, there would be humans of the proper DNA type that would allow for interbreeding, otherwise those 1,000 (is it ?) selected won't be lasting long.
So what's the deal? :confused:

G

Graybrew1

I'm not ready to count it out yet. It has not even aired yet. You guys have gotten so cynical. :icon_e_wink:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
So, from what I gather the story is this (?) Earth is screwed up, time travel discovered, so, ppl travel back in time, end up in a time on Earth where there are still Dino's. If correct, is this time choice intentional? I mean it wouldn't make much sense if they are hoping to re-boot humanity. They will fail as the dino's did, you still got that big asteroid or meteor coming at the Yucatan Peninsula that created the mass extinction event that wiped out the dino's and much of everything else above ground--so why intentionally go there? there is so much more time available later in time where conditions would be far more optimal-even most of the vegetation during the Dino's age(s) was not like todays and would most likely be inedible, and very few, really small mammals to add to the menu as well. Not to mention that at the right time, there would be humans of the proper DNA type that would allow for interbreeding, otherwise those 1,000 (is it ?) selected won't be lasting long.
I suppose they don't want to alter History... So interbreeding with their potential ancestors might not be a good idea. Perhaps that's why they chose the dinos, knowing they'd be wiped out anyway.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I suppose they don't want to alter History... So interbreeding with their potential ancestors might not be a good idea. Perhaps that's why they chose the dinos, knowing they'd be wiped out anyway.
Uh yeah..but they will be wiped out as well, and, if they do somehow survive (the M.E.E. caused a global cooling, sun blocking for probably centuries-at least-for the entire planet here is a linkhttp://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/courses/v1001/impact23.html ) , they will alter history as well. This is one of the problems when creators mix too much reality/history with sci-fi or fantasy-they skew things their way so that their plots ring true. Just make it totally sci-fi and send them to another planet instead :icon_e_wink:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Uh yeah..but they will be wiped out as well, and, if they do somehow survive (the M.E.E. caused a global cooling, sun blocking for probably centuries-at least-for the entire planet here is a linkhttp://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/courses/v1001/impact23.html ) , they will alter history as well. This is one of the problems when creators mix too much reality/history with sci-fi or fantasy-they skew things their way so that their plots ring true. Just make it totally sci-fi and send them to another planet instead :icon_e_wink:
I agree. I don't understand why they don't go for that either. I mean, if you're doing time-travel, then a trip to another planet shouldn't be a big deal...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree. I don't understand why they don't go for that either. I mean, if you're doing time-travel, then a trip to another planet shouldn't be a big deal...

Yeah, they could use some device..like a star gate-portal thingy or something:icon_e_wink:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm not ready to count it out yet. It has not even aired yet. You guys have gotten so cynical. :icon_e_wink:

Like I said somewhere..can't remember where now...its these big build-ups and flashy trailers that maybe are adding to disappointment when the shows actually air--the anticipation quagmire. I am just trying my best to deflate it in what ever minute way :icon_razz::
but seriously-
Terra Nova's PTB are "making this bed" (the one of upcoming extinction for just about everything on the planet from the asteroid/meteor strike) now they got to deal with it--or--hope that too many American viewers are ignorant enough and probably didn't learn it in school, so, they just won't address it, so they'll do the :smiley-lala: thing

G

Graybrew1

Like I said somewhere..can't remember where now...its these big build-ups and flashy trailers that maybe are adding to disappointment when the shows actually air--the anticipation quagmire. I am just trying my best to deflate it in what ever minute way :icon_razz::
but seriously-
Terra Nova's PTB are "making this bed" (the one of upcoming extinction for just about everything on the planet from the asteroid/meteor strike) now they got to deal with it--or--hope that too many American viewers are ignorant enough and probably didn't learn it in school, so, they just won't address it, so they'll do the :smiley-lala: thing

I got your points. They are valid.

Just call me desparate for any form of Scifi. It should hopefully be interesting to watch it Hit or Fail.:biggrin:

I'll be right here with you busting it up if it does fail. :P

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
agreed imo dot judge a book by its cover and go into it with an open mind instead of first reading the cover and maybe going into it with a closed mind.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

There were "dinosaurs" for literally hundreds of millions of years on Earth. Humans haven't even been around for the blink of an eye compared to the dinosaur epoch. So, the humans could pick a time countless millions of years before the meteor event. Just to be clear, I'm saying they would have a time frame of millions of years in which to evolve the human race again. The human race could literally grow extinct itself within that time "cushion" regardless of the impending meteor.

So, the worry about a meteor ruining everything is a moot point if you time it right, n'est pas? ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There were "dinosaurs" for literally hundreds of millions of years on Earth. Humans haven't even been around for the blink of an eye compared to the dinosaur epoch. So, the humans could pick a time countless millions of years before the meteor event. Just to be clear, I'm saying they would have a time frame of millions of years in which to evolve the human race again. The human race could literally grow extinct itself within that time "cushion" regardless of the impending meteor.

So, the worry about a meteor ruining everything is a moot point if you time it right, n'est pas? ;)

But why invest all the time and tech into developing a time machine if you are going into a closed ended option? the worry of a meteor is a fact of Earth's history. If they go back to the dinosaur age(s) they or their descendants will be dead. So why not go to another time of make some kind of ship or wormhole thingy and go somewhere else?
Oh , I know--because ppl are "awesomeded (hey Presidents can make up words why not me?) by dino's and some body in some CGI studio wanted to make them and Spielberg is trying to "go with what he knows"--got it!