Terra Nova

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was thinking the same thing. Also, they are still saying "control the past to control the future". If that is possible and they have gone back to the past IN THAT TIMELINE, then the entire premise unravels. Killing a single insect would change the future. They should never have been able to travel back to the original timeline.

So they didn't address the timeline issue at all? :icon_neutral: See, that to me is just plain stupid. I don't hate the show and can find value in it but if they continue to skirt around simple questions of physics then I'm going to really grow tired of it quickly. I mean, one doesn't have to be Einstein to wonder about the legitimacy of the time line/universe question.

If their goal is to simply strip mine the other universe that's one thing but if they're actually within their own timeline it would be as you say, the Butterfly Effect would change everything.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's unlikely going that far back would have any impact at all on the future. Don't forget the big extinction level event that creates a huge evolutionary void between then and now.

I say unlikely, not impossible, because creatures did survive the ELE.

That's a good point, and one I've considered, but the Butterfly Effect would still happen to some degree. I mean, we have fossilized records of dinosaurs so there would no doubt be fossilized records of humans -- technologically advanced humans that would affect the future. It's kind of confusing to think about, but I think you know what I mean.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
That's a good point, and one I've considered, but the Butterfly Effect would still happen to some degree. I mean, we have fossilized records of dinosaurs so there would no doubt be fossilized records of humans -- technologically advanced humans that would affect the future. It's kind of confusing to think about, but I think you know what I mean.

I do and that's a valid point. There's also the possibility that humans may survive through the ELE and create an entirely new lineage evolving 85 million years from modern-day man. If they succumb to extinction, though, fossilized records of advanced humans would probably be all we'd get. I can't imagine how stepping on something or killing something who's descendants would fall during the extinction event could have any effect past that point.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I do and that's a valid point. There's also the possibility that humans may survive through the ELE and create an entirely new lineage evolving 85 million years from modern-day man. If they succumb to extinction, though, fossilized records of advanced humans would probably be all we'd get. I can't imagine how stepping on something or killing something who's descendants would fall during the extinction event could have any effect past that point.

Well, maybe if they are dealing with 2 different universes the dino one might not suffer the ELE at all. Or even if they do there would still be millions of years for humans to "evolve" in. And if they have wormhole control to jump to any point in the other universe's timeline they could just jump to a point where that universe is technologically advanced yet has a better climate.

At any rate, I don't know why we're the ones speculating here. Isn't that the job of the show's writers? And why haven't they been more clear on this issue yet? It's annoying really. I demand logic in my viewing choices. Maybe not right away, but at some point fairly early on I expect a logical explanation of what is really going on with the universe(s) and the timeline. Is that asking too much?

Bluce Ree

Well, maybe if they are dealing with 2 different universes the dino one might not suffer the ELE at all. Or even if they do there would still be millions of years for humans to "evolve" in. And if they have wormhole control to jump to any point in the other universe's timeline they could just jump to a point where that universe is technologically advanced yet has a better climate.

At any rate, I don't know why we're the ones speculating here. Isn't that the job of the show's writers? And why haven't they been more clear on this issue yet? It's annoying really. I demand logic in my viewing choices. Maybe not right away, but at some point fairly early on I expect a logical explanation of what is really going on with the universe(s) and the timeline. Is that asking too much?

Season 9, series finale, you shall get all your answers. Have patience and please, PLEASE stick with the show! Just 8 more seasons to go and people like the executive producer below can finally buy her dream yacht and that dream house in Beverly Hills!

pleading.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season 9, series finale, you shall get all your answers. Have patience and please, PLEASE stick with the show! Just 8 more seasons to go and people like the executive producer below can finally buy her dream yacht and that dream house in Beverly Hills!

View attachment 6578

I will only continue to watch if there's more forced melodrama between unlikable characters and lots more naval gazing.

G

Graybrew1

I do think they are dribbling out the answers to string the audience along. But Lost did it so well, what Tv show would not want to get in on that. That being said. I still like this show. It has some frustrating attributes about it, but many entertaining factors too. I think at this point, for me. The Good outweighs the bad.

Time will tell for the next season, which they (since I can use it) damn well better get. ;)

B

Backstep

I will only continue to watch if there's more forced melodrama between unlikable characters and lots more naval gazing.

Then you must have totally enjoyed the first half of season 2 of The Walking Dull :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's unlikely going that far back would have any impact at all on the future. Don't forget the big extinction level event that creates a huge evolutionary void between then and now.

I say unlikely, not impossible, because creatures did survive the ELE.

What about the other levels of flora and fauna? The e-Coli of the future is a much mutated form of the one in the Cretaceous, and the human waste would spread that bacteria worldwide in about two years. Stepping on the first snail, fishing the first proto-trout could kill its future existence as a species. There are too many things that COULD destroy the future of Humans (or other species) on earth.

G

Graybrew1

What about the other levels of flora and fauna? The e-Coli of the future is a much mutated form of the one in the Cretaceous, and the human waste would spread that bacteria worldwide in about two years. Stepping on the first snail, fishing the first proto-trout could kill its future existence as a species. There are too many things that COULD destroy the future of Humans (or other species) on earth.

Only if they are on the same timeline, which we have yet to find out for sure.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Then you must have totally enjoyed the first half of season 2 of The Walking Dull :P

You mean "The Talking Dead"? Why yes, I liked season the first half of season 2 a lot except for the couple times they had some action and movement to the story. I've seen enough zombies to last a lifetime, give me more hand wringing and gossiping!

Bluce Ree

You make some good points and I don't deny that some form of butterfly effect would be possible, I just feel it's unlikely. Very little (relatively speaking) survived the last mass extinction event.

Bluce Ree

You mean "The Talking Dead"? Why yes, I liked season the first half of season 2 a lot except for the couple times they had some action and movement to the story. I've seen enough zombies to last a lifetime, give me more hand wringing and gossiping!

More like "Talking to Death". :(

Look! They're keeping their own diaries, too:

zd_3.jpg

Bluce Ree

Only if they are on the same timeline, which we have yet to find out for sure.

OM1 was referring to a hypothetical situation in real-world time. We strayed a little away from the Terra Nova universe. :)

G

Graybrew1

OM1 was referring to a hypothetical situation in real-world time. We strayed a little away from the Terra Nova universe. :)

Mister Smarty!!!
I thought the whole convo was supposed to be hypothetical. It is about a fictional show. ;):P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You make some good points and I don't deny that some form of butterfly effect would be possible, I just feel it's unlikely. Very little (relatively speaking) survived the last mass extinction event.

Well if humans arrived in the past with millions of years to go until the big asteroid event chances are they would develop the technology to divert and/or destroy meteors and asteroids and comets and all that good stuff. Think about it, we're talking millions of years of human development from the start off point of 21st Century technology. They'd be ahead of the game well in advance of any catastrophic event.

Bluce Ree

Well if humans arrived in the past with millions of years to go until the big asteroid event chances are they would develop the technology to divert and/or destroy meteors and asteroids and comets and all that good stuff. Think about it, we're talking millions of years of human development from the start off point of 21st Century technology. They'd be ahead of the game well in advance of any catastrophic event.

Yes, if they end up staying there and evolve, there's no doubt they're rewriting 85 million years of history. My reference was more towards pillaging the past to benefit the future.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear