SW: T.O.R

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Ok.
Been playing for around 2hrs total now as an Imperial agent.
Observations.
Graphic-wise, it's much smoother than WoW, but does not seem as colourful as WoW is.
Interactions: These are cool, in a limited way so if you have ever played either KOTOR's, it will be *very* familiar, to the point that if you don't see anyone else playing, you could quite easily feel you are just playing another KOTOR.
Storyline/quests: On a par with WoW, go here, kill this or collect that, pretty standard for a free roaming game.

For Free, it's worth a whirl if you are a fan of the SW-verse, for Pay to play, I dunno. Most people pay for "end-game" content (which you don't get in the free version) or PvP battlegrounds which I have read pretty colflicting reports on (too much stun/crowd control mainly).
I say if you like SW, give it a run, you have nothing to loose.
pretty much my view on the game aswell.

personally i think they shouldve ditched the whole MMO aspect of it and just given us KOTOR 3 which is what this game is in its escence, and you same as me can see WHY they needed to go FTP no? i wonder how much they lost out on their investment with this game making it an MMO seeing as it was SUPER expensive to develop.. even tho its a WoW clone and that has been round for years so hardly something new and inovative ie expensive..

im almost 50% on my dl btw.

OMNI

Cynical brit gives a slightly more in depth oppinion and info on SWTOR FTP.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Another opinion piece, this time by Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/08/01/five-lessons-learned-as-swtor-surrenders/

I really recommend reading the comments if you get a chance, cause it has some very interesting PoV's in there.

So, Played a bit more, now at lvl 11 and onto my second location out of 17, have chosen a specialization (sniper), have a companion to send on missions (FTP only allows one skill, paid play gets 3), but still have not got to my own ship yet ( :( ).
Overall, my opinion has not changed that much, it still plays like a fusion of WoW and KOTOR. Now, I don't really mind that so much, but I am unsure of its longevity.

So, lets talk money.
For FTP players, there is an option to make "one-of" buys of "cartel cash", spending your real money to get this cash which allows you to buy permanant unlocks that paid players get as a matter of course. With some quick math, 50-60 real bucks gets you all the unlocks. This would pretty much put it on par with most games. For Subscriptions, I would estimate that *unless* you get hooked on end game stuff, you might get 4-6 months out of it.
Is it worth the sub? Quite frankly, only if you want the "full experience" of having sidekicks, professions, building stuff and so on. If all you want is to play the storyline, don't bother. Things will take longer because one of the "control methods" they employ is to give you less XP for missions, but hey, if you can do all the story content, who really cares.

OMNI

Another opinion piece, this time by Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/08/01/five-lessons-learned-as-swtor-surrenders/

I really recommend reading the comments if you get a chance, cause it has some very interesting PoV's in there.
i'll have a look.

So, Played a bit more, now at lvl 11 and onto my second location out of 17, have chosen a specialization (sniper), have a companion to send on missions (FTP only allows one skill, paid play gets 3), but still have not got to my own ship yet ( :( ).
Overall, my opinion has not changed that much, it still plays like a fusion of WoW and KOTOR. Now, I don't really mind that so much, but I am unsure of its longevity.
cool cool, i intend to go the sith sorcerer route with my first real play once it's finished downloading and installed.

yep, pretty much as i see it IE WoW gameplay with the KOTOR sequel storyline (KOTOR 3) and yes longevity no it doenst have any but imo each of the stories are worth atleast one playthruogh each in order to get the full KOTOR3 storyline experience.

So, lets talk money.
For FTP players, there is an option to make "one-of" buys of "cartel cash", spending your real money to get this cash which allows you to buy permanant unlocks that paid players get as a matter of course. With some quick math, 50-60 real bucks gets you all the unlocks. This would pretty much put it on par with most games. For Subscriptions, I would estimate that *unless* you get hooked on end game stuff, you might get 4-6 months out of it.
Is it worth the sub? Quite frankly, only if you want the "full experience" of having sidekicks, professions, building stuff and so on. If all you want is to play the storyline, don't bother. Things will take longer because one of the "control methods" they employ is to give you less XP for missions, but hey, if you can do all the story content, who really cares.
noted.

as for bolded i couldnt possibly agree more!

OMNI

installed and on first mission as a human sith inquisitor :) UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :triumphant:

OMNI

Some footage from the inquisitor starting point and my initial responces :D oh yes i intend to play it like that! :rotflmao:

Anyway looks like im off to find this Inzane hermit in the dangeous tomb... :)

OMNI

So gatefan, how far have you gotten now? im running around chasing Revan knowledge on Drumond kaas myself, about to hit LVL 15 so i can finally F'ing sprint... i HATE the grind man HATE IT.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So gatefan, how far have you gotten now? im running around chasing Revan knowledge on Drumond kaas myself, about to hit LVL 15 so i can finally F'ing sprint... i HATE the grind man HATE IT.
The grind does not change dude. :P
Up to lvl 16 now, so I now have my ship (yay!) but the space combat is not that crash hot (boo :( ) Now I have to wait till lvl 25 to get my speeder licence which for FTP costs 35k creds. Still liking the storylines though so it's ok :)

OMNI

The grind does not change dude. :P
Up to lvl 16 now, so I now have my ship (yay!) but the space combat is not that crash hot (boo :( ) Now I have to wait till lvl 25 to get my speeder licence which for FTP costs 35k creds. Still liking the storylines though so it's ok :)
aye. im surprised the FTP EXP hit stings as much as it does.. sure doesnt make the game boring but makes you have to grind alot more.

so im abaout to hit LVL 16 and Dark 2 atleast :)

btw where you getting your gear? i found the gallactic trade kiosk's a god send as the quests where only giving me shitty items.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I stick to quest rewards or by spending planetary commendations. I wouldn't bother with the kiosk until endgame or steps to get to endgame.
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM ---
Except to make money that is.

OMNI

I stick to quest rewards or by spending planetary commendations. I wouldn't bother with the kiosk until endgame or steps to get to endgame.
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM ---
Except to make money that is.
hmmm.. ok.. i found that those commedations vendors didnt really have anything good.. maybe im not looking hard enough..
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM ---
ill check those out more thouroghly
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM ---
btw do i need to buy permsissions or some crap in order to be able to use certain stuff?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For some "purple" (I.E elite) awards, I believe so, but "purple's" are more for dueling or endgame stuff. They are better, but not needed to do the story.

OMNI

For some "purple" (I.E elite) awards, I believe so, but "purple's" are more for dueling or endgame stuff. They are better, but not needed to do the story.
gotcha. i figured as much.

Ok so im off Drumond Kaas and i managed to get some footage of the Inquistitor ship.

oh and i also choose the path of a Inquisitor-Asassin as i like bashing my lightsaber into things aswell as shoot lightining :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, thats sorta a fail with my spec, only 2 real close combat attacks, the rest, while hitting hard are no where near as fast as Close Combat skills. Then again, I can let my sidekick get maimed while I just sit back and snipe eveyone. Problem is, when she falls down, I get mashed for the most part.

OMNI

Yeah, thats sorta a fail with my spec, only 2 real close combat attacks, the rest, while hitting hard are no where near as fast as Close Combat skills. Then again, I can let my sidekick get maimed while I just sit back and snipe eveyone. Problem is, when she falls down, I get mashed for the most part.
aye i can see that, and its the very reason i specced like i did as i still want to ba able to defend myself WHEN my companion falls down dead.

you did get the cool ship with your character tho didnt you? :P mine looks ok but the agents.. SLEAK.

btw im also getting OM1 into Swtor as we speak. :)
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM ---
Btw GF i checked and found there is a way to transfer Characters between servers so if we all felt a need to team up (and get a much needed exp boost aswell as be able to to heroic areas) we could try that..

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
aye i can see that, and its the very reason i specced like i did as i still want to ba able to defend myself WHEN my companion falls down dead.
I *can* defend myself if the opponents are ranged, but if they are CC, I tend to get smashed.

you did get the cool ship with your character tho didnt you? :P mine looks ok but the agents.. SLEAK.
You think that the ship was not in my mind when I chose my class?
I am a ship junkie, and the Agents ship is just sweet :P
btw im also getting OM1 into Swtor as we speak. :)
Cool!!
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM ---
Btw GF i checked and found there is a way to transfer Characters between servers so if we all felt a need to team up (and get a much needed exp boost aswell as be able to to heroic areas) we could try that..
Changing srvers is a pretty big deal dude. I stuck with the oceanic one (and ther IS only one PvP server) but you guys *seriously* want make groups and such, I'll kick the character, but I'm not gonna do it for ONE person, yeah?

OMNI

I *can* defend myself if the opponents are ranged, but if they are CC, I tend to get smashed.

You think that the ship was not in my mind when I chose my class?
I am a ship junkie, and the Agents ship is just sweet :P

Cool!!

Changing srvers is a pretty big deal dude. I stuck with the oceanic one (and ther IS only one PvP server) but you guys *seriously* want make groups and such, I'll kick the character, but I'm not gonna do it for ONE person, yeah?
i shouldvr know that the ship played a role in your selection :D and yeah it is def sweet.

and i hear ya, lets here from our newest addition into the world of SWTOR before we comitt to anything :)

OMNI

Ok got to lvl 20 on Balmorra (the armpit of the SWTOR universe) my god that was ALOT of grinding to get there...
also reached Dark II as you can see on my avatar darkness around the eyes and he has orange eye color... donno why darkside does that to you but looks cool..