Stargate Universe - Distant Hope

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My prescription hash perhaps? :D I dont have anything except my prescriptions. I dont drink, just an occasional glass of wine like once every other month. :(

You will start drinking after sitting through that 20 minute dreck and realize your life has just become 20 minutes shorter with nothing to show for it. I'm having a whiskey double myself right now, which I'm chasing down with a double shot of vodka and a pound of weed. I'm eating the weed, by the way, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make sure I get the full effect.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He's still online. His status says he's private messaging.

I sent him one just now. We WILL follow the CCPG strictly in this thread, right? This means we do not harass him or make him the brunt of any personal attacks. :love_heart:

brighter1.jpg
HOWEVER, the film itself is open wide for every criticism. :anonymous:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I sent him one just now. We WILL follow the CCPG strictly in this thread, right? This means we do not harass him or make him the brunt of any personal attacks. :love_heart:

View attachment 7513

OpenMIndHeart.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You will start drinking after sitting through that 20 minute dreck and realize your life has just become 20 minutes shorter with nothing to show for it. I'm having a whiskey double myself right now, which I'm chasing down with a double shot of vodka and a pound of weed. I'm eating the weed, by the way, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make sure I get the full effect.

:anim_59::chuncky::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing021::shep_lol::crying-028::smiley-laughing024::biggrin-new::playful::happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
100% downloaded...here I go!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WTF? I am at exactly 9:58 into the thing and I already want to shut it off.

This thing is TERRIBLE. I was already shaking my head and rolling my eyes, but this particular thing made me pause it just to type this message. Just....OMFG. I had to sit through all the stolen footage, and then hear the RIDICULOUS notion that "Major Hunt" should be in command because he outranked Lt Scott. :facepalm:. I groaned out loud when I heard that, but that wasnt when I paused it. I did that when "Major Hunt" was supposedly on some planet (swigging from that canteen like it spawned water perpetually), and leaned against the tree. Some of you might not get it right away...but to me, it jumped out like an ear growing on somebody's forehead:

LTCapture.PNG

:facepalm: :icon_nono: :facepalm: :beckett_new050:

What's wrong in this picture? Ill tell ya what...those are First Lieutenant bars, that's what. :facepalm:. INEXCUSABLE, given the immediately preceding rank discussion from the teen in the corridor. Even the older guy in the beginning of the thing was unsat because he was not wearing insignia, but at least he wasn't wearing the WRONG insignia. How hard would it have been to find this?

http://www.defense.gov/about/insignias/officers.aspx

or this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_officer_rank_insignia

The proper rank insignia is not even similar:

60px-US-O4_insignia.svg.png

I am only going to continue because I want to write a full review. But this sort of ridiculous oversight is unacceptable. The overdone use of actual show footage is excessive. :facepalm:. Okay, Im going back to the thing. :nightmare:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You should have left it as a quiz instead of telling us what was wrong. I was about to post "wrong rank insignia" when I saw you had written it already.

It could have been funnier - imagine if this had been his collar:

5 star general.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You should have left it as a quiz instead of telling us what was wrong. I was about to post "wrong rank insignia" when I saw you had written it already.

It could have been funnier - imagine if this had been his collar:

View attachment 7517

:icon_rotflmao: "But those stars are so COOL, man! Lets use those!" :facepalm:. I did not notice in any of the trailers, or even when the show first started, but when those two were talking precisely about rank, mentioning specifically that "Major" Hunt outranked Lt Scott and should be second in command, I noticed immediately. I go back and now I cant get past that at all. That was OVER THE TOP. I just finished it. But believe it or not, I do have some good things to say about it. I will write my review after I watch it a second time, and will publish it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
REVIEW: Stargate Universe: Distant Hope (Fan Film)

Okay, I am going to try to be as honest as I can about this fan film, and I will keep it in mind that fans wrote it and produced it and provided it for free. THANKS KIDS! :applause: Much obliged. :) I will start with the good stuff.

• The quality of video was good. Nice and crisp, clear and a convincing replication of the same horrib......erm.....interesting "shaky cam" used in Stargate Universe Season 1.
  • The chromakey (green and blue screen) compositing was actually pretty decent. The execution was good. The context was incongruous, but the quality of blending was decent looking to me.
  • Kilian (the actor) has an expressive style. He seems to have a bit of acting talent...not great, but not bad.
  • The titles and sound quality was decent.
That was the good. :) And now....

Frowny-Face.jpg

Putting your work out there is a courageous thing to do. But without drawing upon the wisdom and knowledge of others,as was done in SG-1 and SGA, gaffes become numerous and obvious. Inconsistencies in timelines, in objects and concepts, this is what makes fans different from occasional viewers. Lots of horrible stuff in the story was not compensated for with the (fairly decent) execution of the film. This was about attaching itself to the "legitimate" Stargate Universe show, and jumping the shark with a new character and a different premise altogether. AND, a good half of the thing is snipped footage from SGU with superimposed video. Again, the green screen was done fairly well, and that wasn't the issue. It was the context of the thing that ruins it.

The bad:

• "Major" Hunt is wearing First Lieutenant bars throughout the entire thing. That was made worse by specific discussions about rank and who outranks whom.
  • The use of SGU footage is excessive, to the point of being annoying.
  • The dialogue is empty of meaning, despite the actors trying to make it look good. There is no story here, except as made up to stitch together the footage and green screen effects.
  • The actor playing "Major" Hunt looks far too young to be a Major. For reference, between the First Lieutenant rank he is wearing and Major, is the rank of Captain. The actor looks to be about 17 to 19 years old.

So, without spoiling it (and I haven't), this is not all that great from a fan film perspective. REAL fans would not have overlooked rank insignia, or ignored the SGU storyline. And most of all, they would not have done the wholesale borrowing of original footage from SGU as this film did. Technologically, they did okay. But what they served up was not that okay. Just my opinion!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Here's a nice PM I just received from a disgruntled fan who thought I was too harsh with my review, which apparently makes me a hater of the entire Stargate franchise. :D

=======================================

Halbaradin
user-online.png
Civilian
reputation_pos.png

Join DateAug 2012Posts0Rep Power0​

icon1.png
SGU distant hope

F**k you SGU hater! This is just a fan film!

While people are trying to revive the Stargate franchise you are just sitting on your fat ass criticising other Stargate fans!

SG1 and SGA are for kids, SGU is a real sci-fi show so f**k you if you can't watch a show without an explosion every second!​

He said you have a fat ass Bluce -- :smiley-laughing021::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol:

This from some ectomorph middle school twat who would no doubt faint if he tried to bench 35Lbs in his mommy's basement. Too funny. I'm kind of jealous that you've got such adoring fans.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Oops! :anim_59:

In my defense, he did attack Bluce by messaging him first and claiming he had a fat ass...which made me laugh hysterically because comments like that just prove this kid doesn't have a clue WTF he's even talking about, no, he just wanted to stomp his foot and throw out the same tired, old, laughably false arguments in favor of SGU because he's a brainless squee drone. Plus he's a coward for pulling a sneak attack on Bluce instead of voicing his opinion in the public forums. Attacking someone, unprovoked, in a PM is as bad if not worse than most other COC violations.

Besides, anyone who defends this fanfic version of SGU has got to have a screw loose. It's so bad and horrendous that it's un-watchable. Only a mouth-breathing, nose-picking moron would take umbrage at criticism of this "cinematic" turd.

...Bluce has a "fat ass" -- OMG, I'm still giggling! :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oops! :anim_59:

In my defense, he did attack Bluce by messaging him first and claiming he had a fat ass...which made me laugh hysterically because comments like that just prove this kid doesn't have a clue WTF he's even talking about, no, he just wanted to stomp his foot and throw out the same tired, old, laughably false arguments in favor of SGU because he's a brainless squee drone. Plus he's a coward for pulling a sneak attack on Bluce instead of voicing his opinion in the public forums. Attacking someone, unprovoked, in a PM is as bad if not worse than most other COC violations.

Besides, anyone who defends this fanfic version of SGU has got to have a screw loose. It's so bad and horrendous that it's un-watchable. Only a mouth-breathing, nose-picking moron would take umbrage at criticism of this "cinematic" turd.

...Bluce has a "fat ass" -- OMG, I'm still giggling! :anim_59:

LOL, that is sorta funny, knowing that Bluce is built like a Greek god! :smiley-laughing021::icon_rotflmao:

Bluce Ree

He said you have a fat ass Bluce -- :smiley-laughing021::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol:

This from some ectomorph middle school twat who would no doubt faint if he tried to bench 35Lbs in his mommy's basement. Too funny. I'm kind of jealous that you've got such adoring fans.

He's discovered my great shame. Yes, it's true, I have a fat ass and it looks like I'm carrying around a 40 lb medicine ball in the seat of my pants. The only upside to having such a fat, deformed ass is when someone tries kicking it their foot springs back full force right into their mouth. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He's discovered my great shame. Yes, it's true, I have a fat ass and it looks like I'm carrying around a 40 lb medicine ball in the seat of my pants. The only upside to having such a fat, deformed ass is when someone tries kicking it their foot springs back full force right into their mouth. :(

Squats baby, squats! BOO YAH!!! :thoranime12:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Well ... I just blew 20 minutes I'll never get back that I could have better spent watching paint dry. I'm not sure what the story was supposed to be but they spliced in enough footage from the real series to probably piss someone off at MGM. I can't imagine any fan created series or movie like, for example, Star Trek Phase II, would last 5 minutes if they spliced in footage from any of the original series.
wait you watched all of it? f'cking idiot!! i watched maybe 3-4 min total as i used the FF button... its there USE it FFS :P

OMNI

Here's a nice PM I just received from a disgruntled fan who thought I was too harsh with my review, which apparently makes me a hater of the entire Stargate franchise. :D

=======================================

Halbaradin
user-online.png
Civilian
reputation_pos.png

Join DateAug 2012Posts0Rep Power0​

icon1.png
SGU distant hope

F**k you SGU hater! This is just a fan film!

While people are trying to revive the Stargate franchise you are just sitting on your fat ass criticising other Stargate fans!

SG1 and SGA are for kids, SGU is a real sci-fi show so f**k you if you can't watch a show without an explosion every second!​

hehe i just got that on the tube myself :D

OMNI

View attachment 7513
in situations such as these i am unable to comply as imo idiots have to be callled idiots. :)

Bluce Ree

wait you watched all of it? f'cking idiot!! i watched maybe 3-4 min total as i used the FF button... its there USE it FFS :P

I know, I know. I wanted to give it a fair shot. Do a good deed, get punished. It took a liter of mixed alcohol and a pound of ingested weed salad to get me to sleep but it didn't help me forget what I saw. Nothing can. Life will never be quite the same from now on. I have been scarred. :(

OMNI

I know, I know. I wanted to give it a fair shot. Do a good deed, get punished. It took a liter of mixed alcohol and a pound of ingested weed salad to get me to sleep but it didn't help me forget what I saw. Nothing can. Life will never be quite the same from now on. I have been scarred. :(
there there it'll be ok! :)