Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think Janeway in the later seasons looked gorgeous. The hair bob, the softness of her face when her cheeks weren't brushed with red as per earlier seasons.

captain-janeway-7.jpg

I think Janeway is awesome, she is one of my favourite all-time characters and IMO, she kicks ass and is my favourite Captain.

I wouldn't say she is my favorite captain (Picard still has that title) but Kate Mulgrew is a devastatingly good looking woman in the "classical sense", unlike Jeri Ryan, who was more the "hot peice of eye candy"

S

Stonelesscutter

I wouldn't say she is my favorite captain (Picard still has that title) but Kate Mulgrew is a devastatingly good looking woman in the "classical sense", unlike Jeri Ryan, who was more the "hot peice of eye candy"

But on this pic it looks as if her uniform doesn't quite fit well. On the back I mean.

Tropicana

Council Member
I get what you mean, I think it has something to do with the fact that Mulgrew performs in plays at theatres for years, so they are use to improvising sometimes on stage, truly acting to a live audience through exaggeration of actions, voice control and demanding attention from the audience, whereas Ryan doesn't or not as much, as they rely on portraying a character for the cameras.

Mulgrew is very much a traditional actress, similar to Patrick Stewart who acts for the Royal Shakespeare's Company. They have this natural flair for the dramatics, and have seem to have incorporated this romantic sophistication of being an actor/actress that has played numerous different characters from plays from throughout the ages, and thus receiving numerous acclamations and have proven to the theatrical world, they are amazing. They know how to present themselves during interviews, with posture and voice, they are all professional.

Tropicana

Council Member
But on this pic it looks as if her uniform doesn't quite fit well. On the back I mean.
The VOY uniform at the back has 2 folds, 1 at the each side. It allows the wearer to look symmetrical with this curve at the back created by the folds, then the natural curve round the buttocks.

S

Stonelesscutter

The VOY uniform at the back has 2 folds, 1 at the each side. It allows the wearer to look symmetrical with this curve at the back created by the folds, then the natural curve round the buttocks.

I'd rather see her back smooth as it's supposed to be instead of like the hunchback of the notredame with the hunch sacked down. A woman's body looks most beautiful the way it is made, not how it's made to look by a uniform. Well, in most cases I mean.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is correct. Kate Mulgrew is very much a classically trained actress, and it shows in her portrayal of Janeway.

Her portrayals do show some method acting, but a lot more of the classical stylized shakesperean acting where the actor has "presence" in every scene, which Mulgrew does. Even when her character is not the center of the scene her presence is there and felt. And when she got to be Arachnia it must have been a blast for her, as roles like that let you turn the stylized acting loose with full fury.

I'd rate Mulgrew as right behind Stewart as the best actor to portray a Star Trek Captain. The worst was Avery Brooks, who overacted badly and was unconvincing. Scott Bakula also was not that good, but got better in later seasons.

S

Stonelesscutter

That is correct. Kate Mulgrew is very much a classically trained actress, and it shows in her portrayal of Janeway.

Her portrayals do show some method acting, but a lot more of the classical stylized shakesperean acting where the actor has "presence" in every scene, which Mulgrew does. Even when her character is not the center of the scene her presence is there and felt. And when she got to be Arachnia it must have been a blast for her, as roles like that let you turn the stylized acting loose with full fury.

I'd rate Mulgrew as right behind Stewart as the best actor to portray a Star Trek Captain. The worst was Avery Brooks, who overacted badly and was unconvincing. Scott Bakula also was not that good, but got better in later seasons.

I second that part in every way. Avery Brooks sucked. Bakula wasn't very good but not as bad as Avery. It were indeed Kate and Patrick who ruled their respective bridges.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was watching a VOY rerun and noted another reason it is better than ENT or especially SGU, namely that the writers were able to poke fun at themselves.

The rerun was the one where Seven of Nine was asked if the Borg has encountered the Kazon. Her reply:

"Their biological and technological distinctiveness was unremarkable; they were unworthy of assimilation."

When Neelix questioned this she replied:

"Why assimilate a species that would detract from perfection?"

I had to laugh, as it was the writers of VOY poking fun at themselves for the Kazon, one of Trek worst villains. But unlike SGU they owned up to it and in S3 wrote the Kazon out.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I second that part in every way. Avery Brooks sucked. Bakula wasn't very good but not as bad as Avery. It were indeed Kate and Patrick who ruled their respective bridges.

I agree completely. Avery Brooks was terrible in that role. Bakula was never able to sell his role either. His acting wasn't as bad as Brooks, but he wasn't good either.

S

Stonelesscutter

I agree completely. Avery Brooks was terrible in that role. Bakula was never able to sell his role either. His acting wasn't as bad as Brooks, but he wasn't good either.

Still even though I found his acting cringeworthy I got used to Avery and learned to like him in the role as captain Benjamin Sisqo.

S

Stonelesscutter

I was watching a VOY rerun and noted another reason it is better than ENT or especially SGU, namely that the writers were able to poke fun at themselves.

The rerun was the one where Seven of Nine was asked if the Borg has encountered the Kazon. Her reply:

"Their biological and technological distinctiveness was unremarkable; they were unworthy of assimilation."

When Neelix questioned this she replied:

"Why assimilate a species that would detract from perfection?"

I had to laugh, as it was the writers of VOY poking fun at themselves for the Kazon, one of Trek worst villains. But unlike SGU they owned up to it and in S3 wrote the Kazon out.

Heheheh. That was a funny line indeed.
Good thing they got rid of the Kazon too.
I kinda could appreciate the Seska character though where they took her in the end I didn't like much.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

I liked Janeway a lot too! I guess I like my captains getting their hands dirty. What ruined it for me though, was when I learned how she behaved like a Diva and had constant jealousy bouts during filming, especially in scenes with Jeri Ryan - who she didn't want in the show at all. :(

Avery did overact a bit, but at least he made it believable.
As much as I like Bakula, Archer was by far the worst captain for me, even more unimpressive than Sisko. When he wasn't in the middle of a fight (in which he sucked btw) or getting kidnapped, Bakula just stood around and didn't seem to know what to do with himself. And his small speeches and lines were a little monotone and sleep-inducing IMO.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
From what I have heard, Avery Brooks wasn't particularly happy with playing Cisco in the first place. He was very much in that "I'm too good to play this kind of role", but as he was contractually obligated to do just that, there wasn't a whole lot he could do to be written out of the role. His was more important to the storyline than, say, that of Jadzia Dax (see what happens when you try to perform in two shows at once, young lady? They write you out of one of them entirely!)

I wasn't ever particularly taken with the character of Benjamin Sisko. I did, however, laugh my ass off at the Buckaroo Banzai reference in the show in Cisco's favorite ballplayer, Buck Bokai (and on several of the ship deckplates on the other Trek series, that indicated that some Starfleet ships had been manufactured by "Yoyodyne Industries").

Silly bastards.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Found this vid whilst surfing today, sure the music is a bit cheesy, but the vid itself is awesome and you gotta admit, the music does fit. :P

[video=youtube;-M4BvG0kYPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M4BvG0kYPs&feature=related

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
More fun, French style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOKojyCLIQY&NR=1

[video=youtube;WXxyB-mpcy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxyB-mpcy0&feature=related