Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

trelaine

GateFans Noob
One thing I've enjoyed about Star Trek is the humor. Voyager has some downright funny episodes! I've been re-watching the series & season 7 it seems like they've pulled the stops for one last hurrah because just about every episode has good comedic moments! I have to say though, that probably one of the most hilarious episodes ever on any scifi show has to be from season 4 "Message in a Bottle".

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
One thing I've enjoyed about Star Trek is the humor. Voyager has some downright funny episodes! I've been re-watching the series & season 7 it seems like they've pulled the stops for one last hurrah because just about every episode has good comedic moments! I have to say though, that probably one of the most hilarious episodes ever on any scifi show has to be from season 4 "Message in a Bottle".

I watched voyager in bits and pieces and had a crush on Paris... im just gonna check youtube for the "message in a bottle" ep.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Voyager should have been called Star Trek Seven of Nine................. as that was my main motivation for watching it :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I drive a Voyager and my license plate says Janeway! ;) yep I loved Voyager...it's ranked third among the trek series for me...:D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I only liked seasons 4-7, after Seven joined the crew!

I drive a Voyager and my license plate says Janeway! ;) yep I loved Voyager...it's ranked third among the trek series for me...:D

I watched all of them live from day one, but when I re-watch them, I start at season 3, episode 20 (Scorpion pt 1). I was glad that creepy Kes left. She was just creepy to me from the beginning. Her and Neelix had this weird thing going on...couldnt tell if it was supposed to be a Father/Daughter relationship or Boyfriend/Girlfriend. Neelix hooking up with a 2 year old? Just something weird about it. Seven of Nine gave the show lots more depth. I absolutely loved her character.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Seven was just supposed to be the sexy ratings babe, but I think she did a fantastic job and added a lot to the show. I loved the doctor too - mostly thanks to Picardo's acting - but I think they overdid him in season 7.

Scorpion moved Voyager a notch up with a 'bang' and has to be one of the greatest Star Trek episodes of all times. Season 4 and 5 were my favorites for consistent good story telling. After that the show had some good episodes - Blink of an Eye, Dragon's Teeth, Author Author, Endgame come to mind - but they were too far apart with some real duds in between.

BTW I'm a Voyager fan (like TOS, TNG and DS9) and I hate it when people compare SGU to ST:Voy. It's just insulting :mad:
I'd rather rewatch all the bad Voyager episodes than any SGU episode from the first season.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Seven was just supposed to be the sexy ratings babe, but I think she did a fantastic job and added a lot to the show. I loved the doctor too - mostly thanks to Picardo's acting - but I think they overdid him in season 7.

Scorpion moved Voyager a notch up with a 'bang' and has to be one of the greatest Star Trek episodes of all times. Season 4 and 5 were my favorites for consistent good story telling. After that the show had some good episodes - Blink of an Eye, Dragon's Teeth, Author Author, Endgame come to mind - but they were too far apart with some real duds in between.

BTW I'm a Voyager fan (like TOS, TNG and DS9) and I hate it when people compare SGU to ST:Voy. It's just insulting :mad:
I'd rather rewatch all the bad Voyager episodes than any SGU episode from the first season.
Voyager was in many ways TNG 2.0 Same style of storytelling, except a little more drama and no Federation to fall back on. There were alot of duds, but there were some great episodes too.

But nothing. i mean nothing, not even BSG can ever come close to defeating "All Good Things..." from TNG. That is the PINNACLE of sci-fi storytelling IMO. (at least for TV :P)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ST Voyager was great for women in Star Trek

Women have no right to be on the bridge of a Starship as a Captain... She should have replaced Neelix in the Galley...

Bahahahahaha, I can just see RAC80, StClair and a few of our good lady friends just burst into flames....:ori:

I kid, I kid.. Before anyone comes at me with pitchforks and Flaming Torches, St-Voy is one of my favorite shows. My fav characters were B'elanna Torres, Seven of Nine, Seven of Nine's Jump suit, The good Doctor, Paris and Finally Janeway. I sometimes felt that Janeway's character was overwritten. She had Mad skills that even Torres didn't have. A Ship's captain wouldn't necessarily have the skills of a top Engineer. I absolutely detested the charcter of Harry Kim. he was like an overgrown kid

Janeway, B'elanna, Seven, and even the female Q in "The Q and the Grey" were very strong women the likes of which we hadnt seen since Kira in DS9. I thought Dax was interesting in DS9, but Seven of Nine was totally unique. In many ways she reminded me of Spock, but with an attitude. Her femininity and intelligence in the character were over the top and delicious. And that body...damn. They never once made her a sex opject intentionally. No cheesy chest closeups or bending over tables with a loose top.

Classic scene: The son of Q comes into the Cargo Bay and Seven is working there. He snaps his fingers and her clothes disappear, and he says "Talk about perfection!". CLASSIC. :icon_lol:

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Thing with Voyager is that it was Star Trek's opportunity to be dark but they never really took the chance as it was too episodic. At the end of an episode in which Janeway had violated the prime directive or made a questionable judgment under protest of Chakotay, they had a little argument then all was well the next episode. I think that it would have been quite interesting if the ship were more austere & times were harder as that would make the people & the decisions on Voyager harder aswell (much like in Jericho, a show in which the cast attempt to maintain their humanity in hard times but end up having to make sacrifices & permanent compromises) there never were such compromises in Voyager, only one off decisions which would have no consequences next episode (other than perhaps remorse).

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

If memory serves the episode called "The Year of Hell" had compromises and consequences afterwards but that was the exception to the norm.

There weren't really any compromises or consequences afterwards as that timeline was undone so those events never happened :P

S

Stonelesscutter

I'll have to rewatch that one. It's strange how the mind plays tricks on you as you get older:(

Aaaawwww Piggypoopy...
You're not goin senile on us are ya? :P

I like Voyager a lot but then again I like all Star Trek a lot.
Can't wait for a new series to be made.
Favourite Voyager characters: Doctor, Seven, Janeway
Least favourite: Chakotay

The whole Kes character was a bit of a misfit.
Especially later on when she began to get special powers. Woooooooooooo.
Neelix was somewhat annoying but he seemed to fulfill a purpose.
Chakotay didn't serve any purpose however in my opinion and the episodes based around his character are probably the worst of the series.

Seven of Nine however was the pinnacle of hotness in space.
Who needs the mini-miniskirts in The Original Series when you have Seven in a tight suit. :smiley_squee:

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Sorry peeps, I couldn't stand 99% of the show. That plodding moronic theme music! Sort of said, "Might as well go to sleep now". Poor Harry Kim - the Ford of Veeger. Beltran? Look up Eating Raoul. Hedgehog man? Captain Janebelt? And where'd the holo-doc get his looks? A PS2? And the mutants from Willy Wonka with the bad hair?

I would have had 7/9 just climb up and down Jeffrey's tubes for 44 minutes. She's miles ahead of the SGU blonde sourpus.

I wrote a whole lot more insults on the old site. Along with DS9 it just seemed like ST just checked out for a decade. Come to think of it, how many seasons did they last?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Sorry peeps, I couldn't stand 99% of the show. That plodding moronic theme music! Sort of said, "Might as well go to sleep now". Poor Harry Kim - the Ford of Veeger. Beltran? Look up Eating Raoul. Hedgehog man? Captain Janebelt? And where'd the holo-doc get his looks? A PS2? And the mutants from Willy Wonka with the bad hair?

I would have had 7/9 just climb up and down Jeffrey's tubes for 44 minutes. She's miles ahead of the SGU blonde sourpus.

I wrote a whole lot more insults on the old site. Along with DS9 it just seemed like ST just checked out for a decade. Come to think of it, how many seasons did they last?
*sigh* :roll:

S

Stonelesscutter

Along with DS9 it just seemed like ST just checked out for a decade. Come to think of it, how many seasons did they last?

Both Voyager and DS9 went for 7 seasons.
So if you didn't like them as much as you don't like SGU, we can expect 6 more seasons of SGU. :P

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Both Voyager and DS9 went for 7 seasons.
So if you didn't like them as much as you don't like SGU, we can expect 6 more seasons of SGU. :P

Yeah that's what I was getting at. That scares the shit outta me. Of course that would mean SGUºS would be around for a while.

This thing better get slaughtered Tuesday night. Since the budget has been well padded they'll start cutting there. They'll screw themselves by bringing in the replicators if there's ever a S3. (Now there's a good rumour to start.)

S

Stonelesscutter

Well if they do bring in the replicators than hopefully not them soggy human form things.
Those sucked ass.
I liked the original replicators though.
There's way more potential there.
Them blocks could theoretically form all sorts of badass nasty things.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Suspension of belief

Well if they do bring in the replicators than hopefully not them soggy human form things.
Those sucked ass.
I liked the original replicators though.
There's way more potential there.
Them blocks could theoretically form all sorts of badass nasty things.

But I could never figure out how you could fire a shotgun indoors and only hit a replicator. Or fire a whole clip at them and not have one bullet strike the wall. Or .... forget it ...

Nazis! - that's what SGU needs - just like all those Star treks. Yeah, more Nazis.

S

Stonelesscutter

Nazis?
But then it would be like Indiana Jones, in space.

Klepto

GateFans Noob
I really missed Voyager was a good series, yes the writing was a bit all over the place but I still enjoyed it a lot. Really loved Janeway and Seven of Nine.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Just watched a rerun of the double episode Unimatrix zero where Janeway goes head to head with the Borg queen. Cracking stuff, could watch it over and over again.

Janeway had bigger balls than most men today have! she could be a great tough captain when the need arose!