Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

Sami_

GateFans Noob
I second that part in every way. Avery Brooks sucked. Bakula wasn't very good but not as bad as Avery. It were indeed Kate and Patrick who ruled their respective bridges.

I agree Kate Mulgrew is second but there is a huge distance between Patrick Stewart and any other actor who played a Captain in my opinion.

Also agree that Avery Brooks sucked, I still liked the character though and thought DS9 was the best Star Trek but his acting from a critical point of view was just really bad.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree Kate Mulgrew is second but there is a huge distance between Patrick Stewart and any other actor who played a Captain in my opinion.

Also agree that Avery Brooks sucked, I still liked the character though and thought DS9 was the best Star Trek but his acting from a critical point of view was just really bad.

I think the problem with Avery was that unlike PS, he wouldn't give up his "on stage" overdramatics. Hunt around and you can find some great pics of Picard being "theatre dramatic" as the situation called for, but he soon realised there is a vast difference between stage and screen and adjusted his performance acordingly.

Now enough OT, more Voyager fun!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I think the problem with Avery was that unlike PS, he wouldn't give up his "on stage" overdramatics. Hunt around and you can find some great pics of Picard being "theatre dramatic" as the situation called for, but he soon realised there is a vast difference between stage and screen and adjusted his performance acordingly.

Now enough OT, more Voyager fun!
Shatner never made that realisation or adjustment, he was "theater dramatic" during the whole TOS. Still loved him, though. :D

It has been said that Janeway was an attempt to go back to the Kirk style of running a ship. While Janeway was no Kirk, I agree.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Still feeling Silly

Reasons why you just DO NOT fuck with Janeway, in video, and music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O8YjKQ7qrs

You can fuck with Janeway as much as you want, but are you prepared to pay for it!!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, and in case you missed it, i'm on a serious Janeway kick right now, so here is one more Janeway vid and why she just is (most of the time) Simply, the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TL8b0Ih7Lo&feature=related

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
There weren't any over-dramatics, just the one. Although I think that Sisko is one of the best captains, I'll say that what he ended up doing sometimes is over-projecting his voice. If you watch DS9 with the sound off during a really dramatic part of the show, you'll notice that his physical "acting" is just fine. Still, there are people that over-project their voices in real life, so I can just take it as a part of the character that this happens a bit with Sisko.

I think Picard is great too. However, one thing he did was to be a bit too blasé in his reactions at times. I'm able to just attribute that to the character as well. Some people are just like that. The thing that matters is that he and Sisko were both effective to me, so it all works out.

Anyhoo, I liked Janeway as well. :)

I'm not dumping one the Sisko dude, I think he was a awesome captain as well. Trek got really lucky with its actors for all the captains because they really did "work" for each show. Thinking more on the specifics though, you are right about it being more AB's voice projection that leads to me saying "overly dramatic" more than anything else, good observation:beckettu:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not dumping one the Sisko dude, I think he was a awesome captain as well. Trek got really lucky with its actors for all the captains because they really did "work" for each show. Thinking more on the specifics though, you are right about it being more AB's voice projection that leads to me saying "overly dramatic" more than anything else, good observation:beckettu:

From start to finish I found Avery Brooks to be flat. He lacked the ability to emote and I never felt any connection to Sisko. Here he was supposed to be the chosen one or whatever and he always seemed laconic and emotionless. There were scenes where I swear they had sedated Brooks or something, he was just so indifferent in his expressions. I know others really liked Avery Brooks but for me I just didn't see what they saw in him.

Stewart as Picard was top of the line and done very very well. I also liked Janeway a lot and never felt that Mulgrew was phoning it in. I can watch reruns of either TNG or STV but DS9 puts me to sleep (except for the quark scenes).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh, and in case you missed it, i'm on a serious Janeway kick right now, so here is one more Janeway vid and why she just is (most of the time) Simply, the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TL8b0Ih7Lo&feature=related

thanks for posting that! As a life-long trekkie I was very anxious to see the first female captain lead a series and I will say that Kate Mulgrew was the perfect choice. I had been a fan of hers sinces the mid 70's when she was on a soap called Ryan's Hope. her character (Mary Ryan) was also a strong female character- she was a reporter who didn't shy away from the gritty stories. Her character was very atypical for a soap- no clinging whining vine at all! ;) Kate gave Janeway the grit and guts a ship's captain needs while still being a gorgeous woman- a fabulous role model for girls!

There weren't any over-dramatics, just the one. Although I think that Sisko is one of the best captains, I'll say that what he ended up doing sometimes is over-projecting his voice. If you watch DS9 with the sound off during a really dramatic part of the show, you'll notice that his physical "acting" is just fine. Still, there are people that over-project their voices in real life, so I can just take it as a part of the character that this happens a bit with Sisko.

I think Picard is great too. However, one thing he did was to be a bit too blasé in his reactions at times. I'm able to just attribute that to the character as well. Some people are just like that. The thing that matters is that he and Sisko were both effective to me, so it all works out.

Anyhoo, I liked Janeway as well. :)

Avery Brooks holds a place as one of my favorite actors- he always brings a feeling a depth to any role and seems to find the "heart" of a character. I loved Captain sisko - he was a father first (which is why he took the posting to ds9) and second a starfleet officer. I enjoy brooks in the role immensely but then he is another actor I loved from other roles: Hawk in the series Spencer for hire.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are fortunate Genevieve Bujold left Voyager - she would have been a disaster as Janeway. Mulgrew was perfect as she can both display compassion while at the same time exuding a will of iron.

Sisko I never liked, but then I disliked DS9 as a show as well. Too dark and too much of the plot defied logic.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Am I the only one who loved all 5 star trek series, but hated the animated nonsense?

I liked TOS/TNG/DS9&VOY, even ENT to an extent (a few years after it was finished, I hated seeing the storyline being destroyed), so you're not alone!

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Now I know

I finally just figured out Cpt. Janebelt and why I can't stand her. And you're not going to like it. I finally figured out she fits somewhere on the spectrum between Cathy Bates and Rosie McDonnell. That is all.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I finally just figured out Cpt. Janebelt and why I can't stand her. And you're not going to like it. I finally figured out she fits somewhere on the spectrum between Cathy Bates and Rosie McDonnell. That is all.

Can you elaborate?
Do you mean personality, looks or what?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes elaborate. That comment does not really make sense.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I told you you don't want to know.

Yes elaborate. That comment does not really make sense.

Arggghhhhhhh!! EVERTHING about her. Shrinkage!!!!!! Including taking thru her nose!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
CTT, you're not making much sense. Try using that fancy stuff like context, complete sentences, whole paragraphs, filling us in on your thoughts... :P :P :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
CTT, you're not making much sense. Try using that fancy stuff like context, complete sentences, whole paragraphs, filling us in on your thoughts... :P :P :P
methinks he is saying she gives him the opposite of a hard-on? :icon_redface: but then I may be wrong....he's a bit too incoherent for me. :(