So how was your day?

S

Stonelesscutter

Sorry for my terrible geography. :redface: I have friends in Gent and Brussel I visit every once in a while. It seems like I didn't quite make it far enough to the North!
Anyway I'll try the peanut sauce when I get the chance to and I'll let you know. Kebab with fries (and yogurt/garlic sauce) is something we also have a lot around here :D

What part of Germany do you live?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
read OT everyone...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Was a prequel. I liked the book but then I read one of his other books and they're all the same, just different conspiracy.
yep he's a very formulaic writer...there is a murder, then they call in the crytologist, then there is a pwetty girl, then someone chases them, then he solves puzzle which solves the murder! :facepalm: his books are not on my re-read shelves! ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
yep he's a very formulaic writer...there is a murder, then they call in the crytologist, then there is a pwetty girl, then someone chases them, then he solves puzzle which solves the murder! :facepalm: his books are not on my re-read shelves! ;)

Agreed.
Nice concept, fun story, but it is the same book.
Then again, most genre writers do basicly write the same story, just with different characters.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Agreed.
Nice concept, fun story, but it is the same book.
Then again, most genre writers do basicly write the same story, just with different characters.

Like Agatha Christie? :facepalm: there are some books I keep and reread whnever I can, but others are only worth a once over...and then I don't read more by the same author! :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Like Agatha Christie? :facepalm: there are some books I keep and reread whnever I can, but others are only worth a once over...and then I don't read more by the same author! :P

Agatha Christie is definatly in the same league. I love her books,but yeah, they are all the same story with minor variations on a theme. The best one is still murder on the orient express, simply because of the result and Poirots response to it.

G

Graybrew1

Agatha Christie is definatly in the same league. I love her books,but yeah, they are all the same story with minor variations on a theme. The best one is still murder on the orient express, simply because of the result and Poirots response to it.

I liked The ABC Murders. A think it is a classic plot line reused even today.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I liked The ABC Murders. A think it is a classic plot line reused even today.

The murder of Roger Ackroyd...never saw that one coming! ;) yes the abc murders is a classic plot line that gets used over and over again. :)

G

Graybrew1

The murder of Roger Ackroyd...never saw that one coming! ;) yes the abc murders is a classic plot line that gets used over and over again. :)

Who was your favorite detective? I always preferred Hercule Poirot. I read all of those, so long ago. You are making me want to read them again. :)

Tropicana

Council Member
Perhaps they should have installed them on the Destiny for extra Grittiness :D
;)

Another amusing thing. The Spanish word for toilets could be baños or servicios. Back in 16th Century England, bath-houses began to be associated with prostitution, so over time bath houses were referred to as bagnio (pronounced as "ban'yo") which evolved to bordello which later evolved to brothel. I find it amusing that the Spanish word for toilets - baños has similar origins with bagnio (aka brothel), even the pronunciation between baños and bagnio is similar.

So my question is, what were the Spanish doing in their lavatories back then? lol. I don't think I can see "Baños" in the same way anymore, especially when I'm in LA and need to use a restroom.

G

Graybrew1

;)

Another amusing thing. The Spanish word for toilets could be baños or servicios. Back in 16th Century England, bath-houses began to be associated with prostitution, so over time bath houses were referred to as bagnio (pronounced as "ban'yo") which evolved to bordello which later evolved to brothel. I find it amusing that the Spanish word for toilets - baños has similar origins with bagnio (aka brothel), even the pronunciation between baños and bagnio is similar.

So my question is, what were the Spanish doing in their lavatories back then? lol. I don't think I can see "Baños" in the same way anymore, especially when I'm in LA and need to use a restroom.

It sounds like you are a bit of a history buff. Do you like period pieces too? Or the History Dramas?

Tropicana

Council Member
Oh yes, when it's not too boring.

Sometimes I wish I was born in the 18th/19th Century and rich of course, life would be so proper and elegant - with etiquette to follow and high decorum in social behaviour... it's fantastic! Plus the clothes, so beautiful and awesome.

G

Graybrew1

Sometimes I wish I was born in the 18th/19th Century and rich of course, life would be so proper and elegant - with etiquette to follow and high decorum in social behaviour... it's fantastic! Plus the clothes, so beautiful and awesome.

I agree. I especially love the stuff about Royalty. Like the Tudor or Game of Thrones. Elizabeth the movie was good and Young Victoria .That had such Panache back then. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It is a truth universally acknowledged...

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife -- or at least a good shag every now and then." ;)

Tropicana

Council Member
Well, I certainly won't need a wife that's for sure. ;)

Like homosexuality back then, one would be quite a popular bachelor with numerous social gatherings and girls swooning for my dear ol' affections, but no one knew of my dirty little secret, well except for a lover. A stable boy (18+ of course), or maybe an aristocrat for a regular get together for a sipping of whisky, or combination of both in a parlour room, with servants sent away for the day, or if one should have servants there, to speak in double innuendos.

Last thing I want is to be arrested and imprisoned for buggery, I would have had a reputation to uphold, lol.

Though I could have a wife and have had a male lover at the side too... I suppose.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, I certainly won't need a wife that's for sure. ;)

Like homosexuality back then, one would be quite a popular bachelor with numerous social gatherings and girls swooning for my dear ol' affections, but no one knew of my dirty little secret, well except for a lover. A stable boy (18+ of course), or maybe an aristocrat for a regular get together for a sipping of whisky, or combination of both in a parlour room, with servants sent away for the day, or if one should have servants there, to speak in double innuendos.

Last thing I want is to be arrested and imprisoned for buggery, I would have had a reputation to uphold, lol.

Though I could have a wife and have had a male lover at the side too... I suppose.

How very "Downton Abbey". :D