So how was your day?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
here if the weather changes -for example: it's been dry for two weeks then it rains or rainy for two weeks then it's dry- the drivers have forgotten how to drive in the weather conditions. AND every year with the first heavy snow we get these morons who forgot we had snow the year before !:facepalm::smiley-white-flag:

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, with the Green Bay Packers losing at a spectacular rate today a friend and I bailed on the game and went out for something to eat. We stopped at this Mexican restaurant in the heart of the Hispanic part of town (go figure) and had a great meal. Some of the guys on my buddy's contracting crew, all Mexican, recommended the place so we had to check it out because they were raving about it. What I loved most was that it was as close to authentic Mexican fare as you're gonna find in this town. No pinatas or cutesy drink specials, just lots of carne cooked right!

The place was packed and we were the only anglos in the there, a good sign of authenticity if ever there was one. Since just about every table had the "Parillada" on it we went for that. It was this little griddle plate that had a tray of grilled meat on it -- beef ribs, flank steak, chorizo, etc. The tortillas were homemade and the whole meal rocked. We ate like Aztec kings I tell you! :icon_lol:

Now I fear that everyone will discover the place and, like always, they will ruin it. :moody: (Of course there's that game that happens when my buddy or I find a good place to eat and bring other friends there then they turn around and act like they discovered it. :anim_59: ) At any rate, until the gringos ruin it it will be happy eating for me!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, with the Green Bay Packers losing at a spectacular rate today a friend and I bailed on the game and went out for something to eat. We stopped at this Mexican restaurant in the heart of the Hispanic part of town (go figure) and had a great meal. Some of the guys on my buddy's contracting crew, all Mexican, recommended the place so we had to check it out because they were raving about it. What I loved most was that it was as close to authentic Mexican fare as you're gonna find in this town. No pinatas or cutesy drink specials, just lots of carne cooked right!

The place was packed and we were the only anglos in the there, a good sign of authenticity if ever there was one. Since just about every table had the "Parillada" on it we went for that. It was this little griddle plate that had a tray of grilled meat on it -- beef ribs, flank steak, chorizo, etc. The tortillas were homemade and the whole meal rocked. We ate like Aztec kings I tell you! :icon_lol:

Now I fear that everyone will discover the place and, like always, they will ruin it. :moody: (Of course there's that game that happens when my buddy or I find a good place to eat and bring other friends there then they turn around and act like they discovered it. :anim_59: ) At any rate, until the gringos ruin it it will be happy eating for me!

Here in CA, the very best most authentic carne and other Mexican dishes come from a big mobile kitchen. My favorite is on the corner of Bixby and Pacific Coast Highway called Tacos El Gallito. Two months ago, they bought the building where the cart had originally been parked in it's lot (with a lease). Talk about Turnaround! Here is a picture from Google Maps showing the cart next to the then empty building which now is a full restaurant with the same name and has signage and colorful interior decor. It smells so good in there your stomach starts to growl before you even order!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-gallito-harbor-city

Capture.PNG

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Okay life is finally getting "normal" as much as it ever does here. Hubby took me with him on a business trip to China (he had meetings with various chinese companies he's collaborating with)- fun, interesting, and very nice. (OMG I love HONG KONG!!! the food, the shops, the sights!!!!!) we returned home to a snow storm (14 inches) to be followed by the "polar vortex"- back in the dark ages (my childhood) we called it winter! :P at -40 celsius and farenheit agree- it agreed for two days here! :cool: Basically the city has been shut down since last sunday! :P (luckily our flight was a red-eye and we got in at 3 am indy time -- before it started snowing!) so tons of work to get caught up on AND today we received notice that the DOJ is wanting race to be a factor in school punishments so we are having meetings next week abt what we advise the schools to do... :facepalm: just too much bureacracy!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So what's the Chinese penal system like?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay life is finally getting "normal" as much as it ever does here. Hubby took me with him on a business trip to China (he had meetings with various chinese companies he's collaborating with)- fun, interesting, and very nice. (OMG I love HONG KONG!!! the food, the shops, the sights!!!!!) we returned home to a snow storm (14 inches) to be followed by the "polar vortex"- back in the dark ages (my childhood) we called it winter! :P at -40 celsius and farenheit agree- it agreed for two days here! :cool: Basically the city has been shut down since last sunday! :P (luckily our flight was a red-eye and we got in at 3 am indy time -- before it started snowing!) so tons of work to get caught up on AND today we received notice that the DOJ is wanting race to be a factor in school punishments so we are having meetings next week abt what we advise the schools to do... :facepalm: just too much bureacracy!

Sounds so cool! I have never been to an exotic place like that. :( Not liking your description of the snow, but the rest sounds totally cool! Glad you had a blast. :joy:

B

Backstep

Here in CA, the very best most authentic carne and other Mexican dishes come from a big mobile kitchen. My favorite is on the corner of Bixby and Pacific Coast Highway called Tacos El Gallito. Two months ago, they bought the building where the cart had originally been parked in it's lot (with a lease). Talk about Turnaround! Here is a picture from Google Maps showing the cart next to the then empty building which now is a full restaurant with the same name and has signage and colorful interior decor. It smells so good in there your stomach starts to growl before you even order!

View attachment 28745

Ahh the good ol' roach coach, ate lunch off them many a time. Mainly steak and egg subs from the East coast, Green chile dishes on the west coast.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sounds so cool! I have never been to an exotic place like that. :( Not liking your description of the snow, but the rest sounds totally cool! Glad you had a blast. :joy:

It was a business trip for hubby that I got to tag along on. His company has a partnership with a Chinese pharmaceutical firm and this year it was his turn to go. It's lots of discussions and and demonstrations and geek talk. Because they don't celebrate christmas and new year like we do (his job shuts down from christmas eve to new years day) it's a good time for the scientists to go there and talk geek. Hubby was "working" most days and I had a "guide" - provided by the company - a nice young woman mid twenties I guess- who would take me places and keep me out of trouble (naturally! ;) ).

It was amazing - I felt like a visiting dignitary some days - when Su-Ling (that is how her name was pronounced) found out I worked with teens I got to spend an afternoon at their equiv. of a high school. Cleanedst and quietest high school I have ever seen! the effects of their one child policy is obvious - 1 girl for every 3 boys. But even then their teens are neat (uniforms of course) and respectful. I was taken into a class room and introduced and the teens got to "show off" for me- one girl sang, another boy explained his computer program(yeah waaay over my head), another boy showed me some excellent archetectural type drawings...oh you get the idea. I felt important even though I was merely Mrs Dr. Hubby. I got to visit a television station and a "mothers group" where toddler caretakers (sometimes the mom sometimes a grandmother) get together to chat & visit. All very interesting.

I went to museums of all types- from art to textiles to history. Hong Kong's shopping is OMG amazing -- I came back loaded (hubby's boss's wife had advised me to take a large suitcase packed very lightly, great advice! )with clothes, linens, scarves, and just fabric lengths. My guide was surprised to discover that I like all sorts of Asian foods but I still suspect she was "careful" abt where we ate. I'm not thrilled with a daily agenda- but when in a communist country stay quiet. She was a bit perturbed whenI visited the LDS Hong Kong temple without her-- but she couldn't go inside.

It was definitely a "once in a lifetime" type of thing. a combo anniversary celebration & christmas. We had to cover my flight but all of the costs while there for both of us were picked up by the chinese company, so I was able to take plenty of spending money. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So did you stock up on copies of Mao's "Little Red Book"? :daniel_new004:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
nope but they kept trying to give me copies of "dreams of my father"...mind blowing! ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
it's going to freaking SNOW again! :P third snowiest january ever here in indy! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it's going to freaking SNOW again! :P third snowiest january ever here in indy! :P

I have even seen actual snow in several years. I have seen it on the mountains though. We got a relatively "cold" winter in CA with temps in LA reaching as low as 38°. I know, some of you are laughing at that, but for a California winter, that is very cold. :)

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Arctic blast on its way...again. :(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

View attachment 28745

Aw, man! Reminds me of the street corners in Panama City. They had Arepas carts at nearly every corner!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
do you realize that 3 inches of snow can created 4 foot drifts if the wind is really blowing? :P and man it's really blowing today! :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
do you realize that 3 inches of snow can created 4 foot drifts if the wind is really blowing? :P and man it's really blowing today! :(

That is scary....:( Its clear and a crispy 59° here in Redondo Beach.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball