Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Wait, what? Huh? :facepalm:. I consider myself progressive, but this one sorta puts me on the edge of the bed.

He is keeping his dingy? So, all he changed was having his breast implants, taking hormones, getting a killer beautician and some fabulous new clothes? Doesnt that just make him a hormone taking transvestite with a boob job?

I have avoided talking specifically about this topic on these forums over the years. But I will say that I do not acknowledge that there is a LGBT Community. Out lesbians and gay men have formed symbiotic communities in some places (like West Hollywood). But generally speaking they stay separate. And bisexuals do not appear to congregate as a group with gays or lesbians or transsexuals. And transsexuals seem to be in a COMPLETELY different category than gays, lesbians or bisexuals. No judgement there, just a personal observation.

I think that transsexuals can become very well adjusted in their chosen sex, and we have see it on screen and in media. But this is a stretch. A man who becomes a woman, then a lesbian?
I'm waiting for Trek to come to tv so that Barclay develops pills on the replicators to make himself into a woman to hit on the male crew in the holodeck. Then Troi wants to talk about it. The twist ending is that it's not Troi, it's really Lt. Barclay and Troi used the pills to become Barclay to play out holodeck fantasies under the guise of Barclay.

Directed by M. Night. Shyamaladingdong

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Wait, what? Huh? :facepalm:. I consider myself progressive, but this one sorta puts me on the edge of the bed.

He is keeping his dingy? So, all he changed was having his breast implants, taking hormones, getting a killer beautician and some fabulous new clothes? Doesnt that just make him a hormone taking transvestite with a boob job?

I have avoided talking specifically about this topic on these forums over the years. But I will say that I do not acknowledge that there is a LGBT Community. Out lesbians and gay men have formed symbiotic communities in some places (like West Hollywood). But generally speaking they stay separate. And bisexuals do not appear to congregate as a group with gays or lesbians or transsexuals. And transsexuals seem to be in a COMPLETELY different category than gays, lesbians or bisexuals. No judgement there, just a personal observation.

I think that transsexuals can become very well adjusted in their chosen sex, and we have see it on screen and in media. But this is a stretch. A man who becomes a woman, then a lesbian?

MrGarrison.png

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Don't most trannies keep their dicks? Isn't that where terms like "chicks with dicks", "shemales" and pre-op/post-op come from?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't most trannies keep their dicks? Isn't that where terms like "chicks with dicks", "shemales" and pre-op/post-op come from?

The way the media was portraying it, I thought he was going to become a transsexual, not just a transvestite with a boob job. So why are people referring to him as a "she". HE is still a man, just one who dresses in women's clothes. Not the same as a transsexual. The "T" in LBGT does not stand for transvestite. Yes, most transvestites keep their dicks because they are not wanting to become women, they just want to look like one.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Don't mean to thread drift but I have to say that this topic is a hot button issue for me these days. Personally I'm offended by the way the media in 2015 chooses to represent gay people. The template in use right now is that of the over-the-top, highly effeminate, snarky, screaming queen that sashays through life. ("Life" usually being a role as a sidekick on one of those lousy Bravo "Housewives" shows.)

There's a whole panoply of gay people, not just effete, shrill males that act like vicious, womanly clowns. But the media today would have the world think otherwise. Now because of this a vast majority of straight people believe that the "gay community" is nothing more than a bunch of nancy boys like this clownish piece of crap:

ezgif.com-add-text.gif

As it is I don't have a problem with people living their lives their way, but when a small segment of the gay population becomes the standard bearer for everyone else that's where I get off the bus and climb onto my soap box. Being gay myself I know for a fact that the vast majority of gay people in this world are simply normal acting folks that just want to get through life like everyone else. They aren't clowns. They don't spend their lives making snarkish comments about fashion. In fact, many gay people I know have very little fashion sense, myself included. We're not cartoon characters and we're damn sick and tired of being portrayed as purse-carrying harpys.

So what I ask is that no one here swallow the false image that the media uses to portray the "gay community". As OM1 said there really is no gay community and I would tend to concur. The gay population is far too diverse to be lumped into one category. It's far too diverse to be represented by one single archetype like that of the offensive screaming queen.

As for Bruce Jenner, I couldn't give a shit what he does with his body or who he sleeps with. If he's happy identifying as a woman then more power to him -- or her -- what evs. It's no skin off of my ass. Clearly the dude had issues his entire life and if he believes this will bring him happiness then that's great. Everyone should be happy. His path to happiness isn't mine though but live and let live and all that good stuff I say. Besides, I've got enough shit on my mental hotplate right now and certainly don't have time to worry about a pseudo-celebrity with a connection to those sub-human turds known as the Kardashian clan.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least we don't have non-Kardashian people literally self identifying as Kardashians......yet.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I am pretty sure that is how she rolls now--at the least she agreed to portray that very same thing in SENSE8-the character Nomi is a transgender who is in a lesbian relationship

(but do we base the type of our relationships on our body or our mind/feelings? if Nomi/Jamie is a woman in her mind then she is a lesbian mentally as well as physically--if she always wanted women for sex partners--as a guy did he have issues getting dates? interesting how it is difficult to find a pic of Clayton when she was a he--was he hideous as a man? to feminine?--then she is being a fraud)

So I just got down looking around

its kind of "murky" (i think she likes it that way) and I can't find anything that plainly states her current sex preferences or who she is in a relationship with

but, she is in this web show called SCISSR which in its description of the cast states:
"...As well as Jamie, the show stars three lesbian actresses. It was just accepted into the LA New Media Film Festival, where it will have it’s theatrical premier in May. "

http://www.biggaypictureshow.com/bg...lesbians-twelve-relationships-one-iphone-app/

So apparently she id's as a "lesbian actress"

also found out that the acceptable term for straight ppl in the "community" is "cisgender"

now, how do i apply to get my 10 minutes back? :vala-newanime016:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:confused0006:Okay, so...in RL, she id's as a lesbian actress? What is the point of becoming a woman from a man, if you are going to end up with women? The whole strap on thing...why? Something wrong with the original? Jenner has the right idea. If he wants to be a "lesbian", he still has the real thing to use.

:confused0006: Also, if the drive for a pre-op transsexual is that they feel like the "wrong sex", then why would a man feel strange in his own body if he was attracted to women sexually and romantically???

My head hurts now :facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
May as well get both sets of tools surgically in that case....keep one's options open.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
May as well get both sets of tools surgically in that case....keep one's options open.

"trans-hermaphrodite"?

hey why not? get some animal organs attached so you can cover the "trans-bestial" as well

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, so.:confused0006:..in RL, she id's as a lesbian actress? What is the point of becoming a woman from a man, if you are going to end up with women? The whole strap on thing...why? Something wrong with the original? Jenner has the right idea. If he wants to be a "lesbian", he still has the real thing to use.

:confused0006: Also, if the drive for a pre-op transsexual is that they feel like the "wrong sex", then why would a man feel strange in his own body if he was attracted to women sexually and romantically???

My head hurts now :facepalm:

bolded= whats a comparison? a white person darkening their skin and getting facial surgery to look african american and then saying their white?

and the whole thing? that is why I am saying that I believe these ppl have some psychological issues that have nothing to do with homosexuality

they have self identity issues and perhaps body dysmorphic disorder as well as any number of psycho-sexual abnormal processes as well
===============================================
I can understand why shaved gets pissed-when ppl like this id with the "homosexual community" on a broad basis, they make the 'straight out' homosexuals appear to have issues as well

then the homosexuals (gays/lesbians) must defend these 'trans' ppl from attack in order to not discredit themselves

how can you fight for your rights as a homosexual and then not stand for the rights of any 'flavor' of trans? you can't in today's america-one would be labeled as hypocrite instantly

i just do not see this trend slowing down anytime soon with any number of 'trans' combinations being concocted physically or mentally

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sense 8

Im on episode 4 of season 1, and although I had to choke down the seeming disconnected mess that was episode 1 and 2, episode 3 gave some clarity and episode 4 brought it into focus. Now, I see this series as being a masterpiece of serial drama. This is not science fiction. It isnt horror or fantasy either. It isnt soap. Its NEW. Not derivative of anything I can remember.

I defines a genre. Its that good....no wonder Netflix grabbed it. Bravo!

Incidentally, the blogger chick with the tech also has an AWESOME vape mod similar to the one I use! Recognized it right away.

Sense8_Vape.png

This show makes use of the trademark Wachowski "connectedness" theme. But in this series, the connections are more linear and easier to make sense of. Instead of the riddles of the Oracle in the Matrix, we get a straightforward explanation from one of the 8 of the connectedness and what it means. This was missing from The Cloud Atlas. You were left to decide what is connected to what in that movie. This show does not leave it completely unexplained. Im liking that. It makes this work more interesting to watch.

Some of the scenes feel like filler. Hard to watch and they make you grab your remote just in case. But then they reel you back in. It is building towards something. LOVING this show now. Acting in this is top notch, and I gotta say this:

Brian J. Smith is killing this thing. This is his best work to date. I like his character a lot in this. He feels like the "glue" of the story right now. And he is working the hell out of his role. Good for you Brian!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I decided to rename the thread to Sense 8, since that is what it is talking about, and this show deserves a lot of talking about! This thing is brilliant. The premise is brilliant. And just as I declared it wasnt scifi, NOW they are making it scifi, explaining the sensate phenomena you see in the show. But it started out with drama first, then in episode 8 and 9, we start seeing that there was science behind this thing, and it is a global biotechnology conglomerate crawling with mysterious characters and powerful intelligence agents.

Just wow.

After you agonize through the first two or three episodes, at least it starts making sense what you are seeing happen in the show. But this clarity is delayed until episode three which means you have to endure a LOT of confusion and intentionally created WTF moments that act like some sort of memory wipe IMO :anim_59:. Then, moments of clarity. It starts with the guy in the prison. The rest of it is just great. Really something much different than what we get on Syfy.

Im gushing because I have been marathoning this series since 9pm, and it is now 3:52am and Im still at it. :) I have some time off so Im really digging this show. I strongly suggest watching it. And yeah, please watch the first three episodes, cause later you will understand what you saw. Im totally hooked.

At episode 9 now. Only 12 available (Season 1).

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't mean to thread drift but I have to say that this topic is a hot button issue for me these days. Personally I'm offended by the way the media in 2015 chooses to represent gay people. The template in use right now is that of the over-the-top, highly effeminate, snarky, screaming queen that sashays through life. ("Life" usually being a role as a sidekick on one of those lousy Bravo "Housewives" shows.)

This is absolutely true, but too many people know that gays can look like anyone. That is another reason to watch Sense 8. The lesbians are just women who are in love with each other. They are not caricatures or stereotypes at all. Same with the two gay men in love with each other. These dudes are uber macho in the show. Nothing effete about them at all, even when they are making out. And the girl in the middle likes to watch.

Alfonso Herrera Miguel Angel Silvestre 2.png

There's a whole panoply of gay people, not just effete, shrill males that act like vicious, womanly clowns. But the media today would have the world think otherwise. Now because of this a vast majority of straight people believe that the "gay community" is nothing more than a bunch of nancy boys like this clownish piece of crap:

View attachment 31228

I completely agree. But many people know better. :) I think Lana Wachowski was instrumental in getting the portrayal of the gay women and men right in this film. Graphic at first, but it became very normed out in the show after a short time.

As it is I don't have a problem with people living their lives their way, but when a small segment of the gay population becomes the standard bearer for everyone else that's where I get off the bus and climb onto my soap box. Being gay myself I know for a fact that the vast majority of gay people in this world are simply normal acting folks that just want to get through life like everyone else. They aren't clowns. They don't spend their lives making snarkish comments about fashion. In fact, many gay people I know have very little fashion sense, myself included. We're not cartoon characters and we're damn sick and tired of being portrayed as purse-carrying harpys.

Out here, gay men look like straight men. Gay women look like straight women. And bisexuals can be anyone at any time. There IS an element of the stereotype, but it is by no means the predominant one and other gays find it distasteful. I totally get that.

So what I ask is that no one here swallow the false image that the media uses to portray the "gay community". As OM1 said there really is no gay community and I would tend to concur. The gay population is far too diverse to be lumped into one category. It's far too diverse to be represented by one single archetype like that of the offensive screaming queen.

EXACTLY, which is why it cannot be grouped into a community bloc. I apply the same thinking to other so-called "communities" which are supposed to exist but really dont, because there is no central leadership and no formal allegiance to any of these communities by it's "members"

As for Bruce Jenner, I couldn't give a shit what he does with his body or who he sleeps with. If he's happy identifying as a woman then more power to him -- or her -- what evs. It's no skin off of my ass. Clearly the dude had issues his entire life and if he believes this will bring him happiness then that's great. Everyone should be happy. His path to happiness isn't mine though but live and let live and all that good stuff I say. Besides, I've got enough shit on my mental hotplate right now and certainly don't have time to worry about a pseudo-celebrity with a connection to those sub-human turds known as the Kardashian clan.

I agree about Jenner. What I dont get is why all the special fanfare? The GOP is chasing her around the table. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/13/the-gop-s-awkward-courting-of-caitlyn-jenner.html :icon_rotflmao:

You will like how things are handled in Sense8

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
@Overmind One good on you mate for sticking with the show. It's one of those shows that really grows on you down the line. Yeah, the show does a good job of looking past the 'trying too hard to be all progressive and shit' and then make you just see the couples as people. Although I still dislike Nomi and her gf's scenes in the beginning cause it almost always used to revolve around them having gratuitous sex. But when it moved past that, it got better. The last two episodes made the show pretty emotionally satisfying, I felt.

Also now I can share this, I liked it despite the cheesiness:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
@Overmind One good on you mate for sticking with the show. It's one of those shows that really grows on you down the line. Yeah, the show does a good job of looking past the 'trying too hard to be all progressive and shit' and then make you just see the couples as people. Although I still dislike Nomi and her gf's scenes in the beginning cause it almost always used to revolve around them having gratuitous sex. But when it moved past that, it got better. The last two episodes made the show pretty emotionally satisfying, I felt.

Also now I can share this, I liked it despite the cheesiness:

I loved that scene. :) There was also that massive orgy scene...what was that about? EVERYBODY was in on the act....except the African guy who was left with an unsatisfied woodie and blue balls. LOL!

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Sex is never gratuitous for the people engaging in it. It's a part of life, not as large a part in everyone's life, but still. I felt the scenes between Nomi and Amanita and Lito and Hernando were tastefully done. Even the scene where several of the sensates were experiencing it together was highly erotic but not salacious or gratuitous.

I liked it a lot, that is up to the final episode. That was too rushed, and didn't resolve some issues like I had hoped. Whose side was Jonas really on? How can Riley and Will ever be safe if to do so means continually keeping him unconscious? The abrupt dissolve from Riley on the mountain to her and Will on the boat was weird. How did they avoid Whispers? Just because he couldn't "see" Will wouldn't keep him from setting up roadblocks.

I know it will be a while before any details of a second season will be revealed, and normally I try to avoid spoilers, but I have to wonder if it will revolve around another set of characters or if the eight we already know will be back.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sex is never gratuitous for the people engaging in it. It's a part of life, not as large a part in everyone's life, but still. I felt the scenes between Nomi and Amanita and Lito and Hernando were tastefully done. Even the scene where several of the sensates were experiencing it together was highly erotic but not salacious or gratuitous.

I liked it a lot, that is up to the final episode. That was too rushed, and didn't resolve some issues like I had hoped. Whose side was Jonas really on? How can Riley and Will ever be safe if to do so means continually keeping him unconscious? The abrupt dissolve from Riley on the mountain to her and Will on the boat was weird. How did they avoid Whispers? Just because he couldn't "see" Will wouldn't keep him from setting up roadblocks.

I know it will be a while before any details of a second season will be revealed, and normally I try to avoid spoilers, but I have to wonder if it will revolve around another set of characters or if the eight we already know will be back.

They got a winner with this series. It could concievably go on forever, with different sensates in each season, or new ones within a season. It's brilliant. I dont think they will pin down who the bad guys are, because to do so would kill the mystery of the chase. This is one of the few shows where flashbacks work to full effect and have a direct relationship with the characters past and present. It also gets to abruptly switch from locale to locale and character to character and it be normal for that to happen. :) Loving the show. I have saved episodes 10, 11 and 12 for tonight's final viewing. I really hope there is a season 2.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I thought a second season had already been announced, but maybe I'm wrong.