Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I loved it right from the start. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have a problem with the pacing.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I loved it right from the start. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have a problem with the pacing.
Yes, it feel like a lot of jumping about to shove in back stories quickly and get me invested but it is also hard to follow with showing so much so quickly. all this being said, it was so slowly paced while doing so.

I do like hearing you like it, it makes me feel I am right to jump further in.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it feel like a lot of jumping about to shove in back stories quickly and get me invested but it is also hard to follow with showing so much so quickly. all this being said, it was so slowly paced while doing so.

I do like hearing you like it, it makes me feel I am right to jump further in.

You have to get past the first three episodes in order for you to see what this thing is. If I had not waited and stuck it out past the first three episodes, I would not like the show as much as I do. But starting with Episode 3, and 4, the show suddenly becomes AWESOME and you are hooked. :)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Okay so it is like drinking diet soda, you have to push through at first and then you can't live without it. 3 I do, onward I go.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I read some rants about the show, but most of them talk about the premiere and the first three episodes which are muddy and confusing and hard to watch. That is three hours of visual oatmeal. But then suddenly in episode 4 it all turns to ice cream. :). This one you have to stick it out until episode 3 before you start really liking it. But you cant really avoid that by skipping those three episodes, without losing important elements of the story. Im glad I stuck around. :)

i had no issues with the first three eps--just common "intro" stuff a bit more thickly applied. I can see though how some viewers need on screen labels for everything, like a new scene in diff country so on screen visual saying "Kenya", "Mexico", etc for every incidence

since this post I have read other complaints that ppl can't tell where the characters were in space/time-are they all in one town, are they all in the diff places together? they don't seem to get the point of some characters physically present while others are only mentally/telepathetically present
--- merged: Jul 17, 2015 7:55 PM ---
Anyone watching this? I have done first ep and it was so slow but I read it gets much better and I have whole season. I guess I will dig in and see how it goes.

watch as many eps in a row as you can-the way (IMO) streaming is at its most effective

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, once you have seen the complete first season, you should GO BACK and watch the first three episodes. Especially the first one! Suddenly, they make sense :). I just watched episode 1 again moments ago, and it fully made sense.

We find out what Darryl Hannah's character was going through which made her kill herself. We see the locales where our sensates live, we see Whispers and also Jonas. And we hear some dialogue which when first seen, makes no sense. Going back after you have seen the season and watching the first three episodes makes sense the second time.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
OMG, once you have seen the complete first season, you should GO BACK and watch the first three episodes. Especially the first one! Suddenly, they make sense :). I just watched episode 1 again moments ago, and it fully made sense.

We find out what Darryl Hannah's character was going through which made her kill herself. We see the locales where our sensates live, we see Whispers and also Jonas. And we hear some dialogue which when first seen, makes no sense. Going back after you have seen the season and watching the first three episodes makes sense the second time.
OMG you're such a chick sometimes. 'OMG'....come on now. Messing.

I need to go back and watch it. It's potential for a second season is kind of up in the air right now. I'm tempted to sign in with my friends account and just have it playing in the background to up the viewer count. This is one of those times where it would be good to have a wide net of social media outlets to encourage those in your social sphere to watch it, but I don't cause that'd be too hipster. Alas...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG you're such a chick sometimes. 'OMG'....come on now. Messing.

I need to go back and watch it. It's potential for a second season is kind of up in the air right now. I'm tempted to sign in with my friends account and just have it playing in the background to up the viewer count. This is one of those times where it would be good to have a wide net of social media outlets to encourage those in your social sphere to watch it, but I don't cause that'd be too hipster. Alas...

This show is VERY popular with millenials and hipsters from what I can see :). If you can get a chance to hear them when they are talking about shows, or find their comments on blogs, they seem to LOVE this thing. The mystery is how Netflix decides what it is going to produce. It does not have to rely on advertising, so ratings are not an issue or concern. It might stimulate more subscriptions.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have done the whole season twice, you guys were right. I am going to scream if no season 2.

I read it has to do with costs and locking down the stars long term while still fairly cheap and unknown, except for a few. I also tweeted to Netflix to bring another season as I read online NF is all about social media and there was a campaign for it.

Did anyone see this?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have done the whole season twice, you guys were right. I am going to scream if no season 2.

I read it has to do with costs and locking down the stars long term while still fairly cheap and unknown, except for a few. I also tweeted to Netflix to bring another season as I read online NF is all about social media and there was a campaign for it.

Did anyone see this?

the creators are pushing for a 5 season commitment --J Mike Strac has done all of his shows with a 5 yr plan-though it doesn't always happen (-JEREMIAH-)

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Even though I was aware of several in the cast from previous work, none of them are big stars, with Naveen Andrews probably the most recognizable to most people. The major expense would have to be the location shooting, which was done all over the world in the exact places those characters lived rather than by faking it in studios or with CGI. That, and getting all the actors together again, or getting another set of actors to play new characters, could be more expensive than Netflix can afford.

I have not watched their version of House of Cards because I had intended to watch the original UK series first, but still have not done so. Is that a show that seems budget conscious or not? How about Orange Is the New Black? I would assume sets for that must be fairly economical. The only other one of their originals that I've watched all of was Daredevil, and while it was good, I would think the major expense was the actors, certainly not the sets.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
HOC is probably pretty steep with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright as leads but I love that show. It has a ton of other awesome actors too. Sense8 has Naveen Andrews from LOST, Darrell Hannah, and Chicago cop is SGU alum. I think if producers wait much longer all will be stars soon, it is growing speed fast. Some were pretty famous in their own countries too, like from Bollywood, Germany and Spain.

All this being said, I really hope NF kicks up the cash, It could be huge for them since this show is so diverse.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Even though I was aware of several in the cast from previous work, none of them are big stars, with Naveen Andrews probably the most recognizable to most people. The major expense would have to be the location shooting, which was done all over the world in the exact places those characters lived rather than by faking it in studios or with CGI. That, and getting all the actors together again, or getting another set of actors to play new characters, could be more expensive than Netflix can afford.

Brian J Smith was the familiar face for me, even though I remember Naveen from Lost. I think that they could do away with using the actual locations, but it would not feel the same. How do you fake the locals in the African town or in Korea? The stuff in Iceland cant be faked.

I have not watched their version of House of Cards because I had intended to watch the original UK series first, but still have not done so. Is that a show that seems budget conscious or not? How about Orange Is the New Black? I would assume sets for that must be fairly economical. The only other one of their originals that I've watched all of was Daredevil, and while it was good, I would think the major expense was the actors, certainly not the sets.

Orange is the new Black, I have not seen a lick. The prison look to it turns me off, but everyone says it is great.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

OITNB probably has a fairly low budget since its set is mainly in the prison except for flashbacks

I enjoy the show a lot--however, if you don't have a thing for dark humor or a stomach for lesbian sex-you won't like it

and after this season, it appears to be getting darker

HOCs? Liked the first seasons, this last season was kind of a 'phone it in' type of thing. they also don't have much of anywhere else to go either-I mean, he is the Pres now, so.... though I think his wife is scheming to get the job

MARCO POLO? though i enjoyed it for its historical content and excellent attn to costuming and sets, they do take quite a "the guy was just everywhere and did everything" tact. plus the sex is mainly pointless to the plot-it must have a very large budget as well

DUSK TO DAWN the series? an awesome show in the method and plot of the original movie by the guy who made the original movie. It is made by both NF and the EL REY network (a premium channel on directv). it airs concurrently on both places.

haven't watched any of the other orig's though

and, NF doesn't own any of these shows. they just kick in some production money and commit to airing the product-there is no exclusivity either it seems (there are posts in the NETFLIX thread on this) the shows are there for the purchase if a cable network wanted to air them (like DUSK TO DAWN is)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just about to post the announcement but you beat me to it. You have deprived me of this joy ecgordon. I won't forget this. *smacks fist*

Glad it's renewed, I want to see where the story goes after this.

Me too. :) I hope they don't kill of BJS character of the Chicago cop. If I read the story correctly, what is happening to him with Whispers is the reason Darryl Hannah's character offed herself in the first episode. :(. I think this show is Brian J Smith's defining career role up until this time in his career. He is doing this gig awesomely, and he is rocking his character. His best work yet. I really hope they do not kill him off.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
the creators are pushing for a 5 season commitment --J Mike Strac has done all of his shows with a 5 yr plan-though it doesn't always happen (-JEREMIAH-)

Oh, Jeremiah worked just fine per his plan. I watched only one year and regretted the time I will never get back in the four years that followed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member