Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Jupiter Ascending is utter garbage. Let's put it this way - when you're being compared unfavorably to BATTLEFIELD EARTH you're in a world of hurt.

It just reinforces my overall opinion that the Wachowskis are for the most part hacks. I can think of two films I like (The Matrix and Assassins) one I am still going back and forth on (Cloud Atlas) and the rest just came off to me as dreck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
is it worth watching if I only FF to the sfx scenes? the trailer shows some awesome looking shots...

YES. Watch it for that, the special effects are awesome. Just enjoy that and turn off the part of your brain that looks for a logical story (like most of the dumb audience does :)), and you will be fine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, plot is getting interesting enough for me to continue. It's weird but I'm kind of starting to like Brian J. Smith's character. Blasphemous I know. This will seem random but context might will make it funny if you've watched the episode:

I see this on Netflix. Worth watching? Ill watch the first couple of episodes to see...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jupiter Ascending is utter garbage. Let's put it this way - when you're being compared unfavorably to BATTLEFIELD EARTH you're in a world of hurt.

It just reinforces my overall opinion that the Wachowskis are for the most part hacks. I can think of two films I like (The Matrix and Assassins) one I am still going back and forth on (Cloud Atlas) and the rest just came off to me as dreck.

Writing something like The Matrix or The Cloud Atlas is beyond the ability of an actual hack. The intellect required to just conceive of the Matrix is beyond the writing abilities of somebody like say...Joss Whedon or even Ronald Moore or any of the Star Wars or Star Trek writers. In my opinion, of course. :) But Jupiter Ascending was so bad that it makes me wonder if the Wachowskis stole the Matrix idea from somebody else. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agree completely with bolded. I dont see why people thought it was all that. I have it in my collection...anybody up for a rewatch of it? It should be reviewed here.

I am officially rescinding this opinion. :) I have now watched Cloud Atlas at least 4 times, and I think it was brilliant. Also, although many pan The Matrix II and III, if you think of it as one long story you cannot separate one from the other. There is a missing piece after the war is over that we need to see. Perhaps that is what a planned new trilogy is going to address?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
YES. Watch it for that, the special effects are awesome. Just enjoy that and turn off the part of your brain that looks for a logical story (like most of the dumb audience does :)), and you will be fine.

I'll mute the volume and put on the CC in spanish.... :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I see this on Netflix. Worth watching? Ill watch the first couple of episodes to see...

and remember, it isn't the normal formula of "explain everything-the mythos-of the show, in the first ep" will not happen as these are epi-dumped all at once and designed to watch all at once or one or two at a time

like i said, many of the criticisms of the show is based on this "i don't know whats going on--they don't explain the connections" etc...they do explain, over time

it reminds me of the MATRIX in the human connectiveness level, but of course here we are not seeing connectiveness on a technical sense but on a purely human sense (at least so far)

and don't get turned off by the sex--it is probably a 'shock' for some to see so much sex in the way it is depicted but I think that most of it is tolerable as it does fit into what is going on in the story--not just random sex scenes for viewership like those 80's movies

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and remember, it isn't the normal formula of "explain everything-the mythos-of the show, in the first ep" will not happen as these are epi-dumped all at once and designed to watch all at once or one or two at a time

like i said, many of the criticisms of the show is based on this "i don't know whats going on--they don't explain the connections" etc...they do explain, over time

it reminds me of the MATRIX in the human connectiveness level, but of course here we are not seeing connectiveness on a technical sense but on a purely human sense (at least so far)

and don't get turned off by the sex--it is probably a 'shock' for some to see so much sex in the way it is depicted but I think that most of it is tolerable as it does fit into what is going on in the story--not just random sex scenes for viewership like those 80's movies

Im mostly through the first episode but this show seems so damned long! Yes, the explicit scene with the two lesbians in bed was the only one that made me cringe. The kissing stuff, not so much. But since at this point everything seems only vaguely connected, it is tedious to put the story together. I just got bored about 2/3 through. I will come back to it, because I like the production values and the characters are interesting.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im mostly through the first episode but this show seems so damned long! Yes, the explicit scene with the two lesbians in bed was the only one that made me cringe. The kissing stuff, not so much. But since at this point everything seems only vaguely connected, it is tedious to put the story together. I just got bored about 2/3 through. I will come back to it, because I like the production values and the characters are interesting.

I don't know why nf just doesn't put up each season of every show they make as one long length 'film'? why the episode format? its not like someone on broadcast tv is going to buy these shows-most will never make it past standards and practices and the fcc due to the violence and sex

thinking in an 'episodic mindset' is not needed for most NF orig's,particularly this one

and yeah-don't watch episode 6 in a public space :vala-newanime016: :hump:

--------------------------

i really like the way that Lito and his boyfriend and their girlfriend interact on screen

also, i really only thought this because of what i know of korean tv and what they like to watch--

so, in mexico we get the tele novella and the action movies (like the kind Lito acts in)--we see his story play out in a very similar manner to this favorite of mexican viewers--his life is a hyped drama

in korea and with Sun's story we get the family drama with financial/political intrigue and sometimes violence--the same is true of one of the favorite korean tv show formats; drama set in families, often upper class where the family dynamics and dysfunction take place in the backdrop of family business success

I wonder if the Wach's did this intentionally?

I know that Smith's cop character fits into the american fav of crime drama-and Nomi's fits the fav of the "x files" type of thing

don't know about Icelandic, German or Kenyan TV though....

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, the sex stuff is on the level of HBO's style, gratuitous and has the opposite effect on me. The trans-person and her girlfriend are kind of a turn-off. It's not even about the trans thing, it's just the whole "oh my god, you're so strong baby, come here", *insert 20 minutes of sex time*. Yech, on the level of emo teenage level sex crap. They couldn't fill up screen time with something else? But it got better later when they were on the run.

And the overall story is interesting enough. I finished all the episodes. Don't keep reading if you don't want things to be spoiled. Riley really went through some terrible shit. Felt really bad for her. Was nice to see her smile when she went back home to her dad.

I really like the African dude. He has such an infectious optimism about him. The transition from one person to another person taking over was really well done and choreographed. I really like Soon too or however you spell her name (despite the stereotypical Asian person knows martial arts thing). They're both pretty good people and not so narcissistic. Copper is cool. German dude is pretty badass.

Some things I didn't like were that they didn't really resolve the story but I'm guessing they have more seasons in mind with this show so that's ok, the unnecessary HBO style sex stuff needs to go, Noomi needs to chill out with her narcissism, Riley doesn't really contribute to the rest of the group in some useful way. They should start exploring the extent of their powers. They sort of teased it, a historical background about some other species or something. But they could better flesh that out.

Matheson is a weird individual. I wonder what his deal is and why he has such advanced powers. They could flesh out the overarching plot's minutiae. They also really need to pander less regarding the whole LGBT thing. It sort of has the opposite effect when you start to go overboard with it. The Indian chick's subplot is really meandering and boring. Some of the other character's personal subplots have been resolved so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I would watch a second season.

Anyways, that's my semi-spoilerless review in case you're still on the fence about watching it. Wachowskis did a nice job story-wise, in my opinion. It's even nicer since this was basically out of their usual comfort zone of CGI/Action crap. They were able to do a decent watchable drama.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, the sex stuff is on the level of HBO's style, gratuitous and has the opposite effect on me. The trans-person and her girlfriend are kind of a turn-off. It's not even about the trans thing, it's just the whole "oh my god, you're so strong baby, come here", *insert 20 minutes of sex time*. Yech, on the level of emo teenage level sex crap. They couldn't fill up screen time with something else? But it got better later when they were on the run.

And the overall story is interesting enough. I finished all the episodes. Don't keep reading if you don't want things to be spoiled. Riley really went through some terrible shit. Felt really bad for her. Was nice to see her smile when she went back home to her dad.

I really like the African dude. He has such an infectious optimism about him. The transition from one person to another person taking over was really well done and choreographed. I really like Soon too or however you spell her name (despite the stereotypical Asian person knows martial arts thing). They're both pretty good people and not so narcissistic. Copper is cool. German dude is pretty badass.

Some things I didn't like were that they didn't really resolve the story but I'm guessing they have more seasons in mind with this show so that's ok, the unnecessary HBO style sex stuff needs to go, Noomi needs to chill out with her narcissism, Riley doesn't really contribute to the rest of the group in some useful way. They should start exploring the extent of their powers. They sort of teased it, a historical background about some other species or something. But they could better flesh that out.

Matheson is a weird individual. I wonder what his deal is and why he has such advanced powers. They could flesh out the overarching plot's minutiae. They also really need to pander less regarding the whole LGBT thing. It sort of has the opposite effect when you start to go overboard with it. The Indian chick's subplot is really meandering and boring. Some of the other character's personal subplots have been resolved so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I would watch a second season.

Anyways, that's my semi-spoilerless review in case you're still on the fence about watching it. Wachowskis did a nice job story-wise, in my opinion. It's even nicer since this was basically out of their usual comfort zone of CGI/Action crap. They were able to do a decent watchable drama.

i am thinking that the meandering storylines may come together later--the Indian drug company she (Kali sp ?)works for--bad drugs in Kenya from the same company ?--Germans buying stolen diamonds through Mumbai-is Kali's father in law (or is he?) and her fiancee in on this as well?

Sun (Bae Doo Na's character) is actually not too far off from Korean wealthy class-the "royal families" of Korea (yes, that is what the Korean media calls them)

and just about every Korean kid grows up with mandatory Tae Kwon Do trng in grade school to HS--everyone is basically at least a red belt to some level of expertise-the trng continues for those drafted into the military/police forces

so her being as good as she is is not that much of a stretch given the background and her ability to train more with her money and her status as a wealthy single female--but I get your drift....

I am still pretty impressed about how they made each person's "meta story" in tune with the predominate entertainment genre/style of their respective nations--ex-Lito's tele novella life, Sun's family drama, etc--also found out that action flicks like the old van damme movies ARE one of the main fav's of Kenyan entertainment-just like the life the guy is living
----------------------------

and how about those memories of birth scenes!!! graphic much?
-----------------------------------------
I hope that a S2 is not that far off

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
i am thinking that the meandering storylines may come together later--the Indian drug company she (Kali sp ?)works for--bad drugs in Kenya from the same company ?--Germans buying stolen diamonds through Mumbai-is Kali's father in law (or is he?) and her fiancee in on this as well?

Sun (Bae Doo Na's character) is actually not too far off from Korean wealthy class-the "royal families" of Korea (yes, that is what the Korean media calls them)

and just about every Korean kid grows up with mandatory Tae Kwon Do trng in grade school to HS--everyone is basically at least a red belt to some level of expertise-the trng continues for those drafted into the military/police forces

so her being as good as she is is not that much of a stretch given the background and her ability to train more with her money and her status as a wealthy single female--but I get your drift....

I am still pretty impressed about how they made each person's "meta story" in tune with the predominate entertainment genre/style of their respective nations--ex-Lito's tele novella life, Sun's family drama, etc--also found out that action flicks like the old van damme movies ARE one of the main fav's of Kenyan entertainment-just like the life the guy is living
----------------------------

and how about those memories of birth scenes!!! graphic much?
-----------------------------------------
I hope that a S2 is not that far off
Yeah, I get what you're saying and did notice it, but I really hope they don't do that kind of connection with the various characters. That'd be a little too much w.r.t. suspension of disbelief. I'd be kind of peeved if something like that did happen.

Ahh I did not know that about Koreans, a stereotype that's reinforced? I have a Korean friend who tells me that Koreans are afraid of rain cause it might cause their hair to fall out. Is that true as well?

You may or may not have found out about this but apparently they shot all the scenes for one particular country all in one go before moving to another country to shoot the scenes that take place there. Pretty well done on the crew side and actor side.

Yeah those birth scenes were ridiculous. They need to cut down on the trying too hard to be arthouse crap.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I get what you're saying and did notice it, but I really hope they don't do that kind of connection with the various characters. That'd be a little too much w.r.t. suspension of disbelief. I'd be kind of peeved if something like that did happen.

Ahh I did not know that about Koreans, a stereotype that's reinforced? I have a Korean friend who tells me that Koreans are afraid of rain cause it might cause their hair to fall out. Is that true as well?

You may or may not have found out about this but apparently they shot all the scenes for one particular country all in one go before moving to another country to shoot the scenes that take place there. Pretty well done on the crew side and actor side.

Yeah those birth scenes were ridiculous. They need to cut down on the trying too hard to be arthouse crap.

you can kind of get a feel for the sake of continuity that bit about the filming

probably helped out with the travel expenses also

I have not heard the thing about the hair falling out

but who can blame them? their rain comes across from china-any number of body morphing contaminants in that crap

i remember every yr like clockwork the Gobi sand storms coming all the way over to Korea and the Orange tinted sky it would cause---comes straight over the Shantung Peni of China--the Shantung regions is also by the way, one of the most chemically contaminated and cancer producing regions in China

so yeah-I can see where that hair loss fear may come from

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So this is very on the side to this thread, but I gotta ask if anyone else is wondering the same as me
the actress who plays Nomi was indeed once a man
she has had a total sex change
and now she partners with women in her life
so he became a woman (complete with the snipping of the plumbing) so he/she can then have sex with women? with fake penis' no less (yes, I am stretching that bit from ep 1)

and Jenner--he is now a she but is keeping her penis so he can keep having sex with women
that that now make him a trans-lesbian?
I am serious here---
I mean I totally get the gay man/woman issue--they want to stay their sex/gender and be partnered with the same sex, that's cool and I infer NO MENTAL issues may be present in those cases
but these extremes of body transformation just to continue going about a sex life that favors the same sex implies some mental issues underneath

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So this is very on the side to this thread, but I gotta ask if anyone else is wondering the same as me
the actress who plays Nomi was indeed once a man
she has had a total sex change
and now she partners with women in her life
so he became a woman (complete with the snipping of the plumbing) so he/she can then have sex with women? with fake penis'
no less (yes, I am stretching that bit from ep 1)

Wait, what? Huh? :facepalm:. I consider myself progressive, but this one sorta puts me on the edge of the bed.

and Jenner--he is now a she but is keeping her penis so he can keep having sex with women
that that now make him a trans-lesbian?
I am serious here---

He is keeping his dingy? So, all he changed was having his breast implants, taking hormones, getting a killer beautician and some fabulous new clothes? Doesnt that just make him a hormone taking transvestite with a boob job?

I mean I totally get the gay man/woman issue--they want to stay their sex/gender and be partnered with the same sex, that's cool and I infer NO MENTAL issues may be present in those cases
but these extremes of body transformation just to continue going about a sex life that favors the same sex implies some mental issues underneath

I have avoided talking specifically about this topic on these forums over the years. But I will say that I do not acknowledge that there is a LGBT Community. Out lesbians and gay men have formed symbiotic communities in some places (like West Hollywood). But generally speaking they stay separate. And bisexuals do not appear to congregate as a group with gays or lesbians or transsexuals. And transsexuals seem to be in a COMPLETELY different category than gays, lesbians or bisexuals. No judgement there, just a personal observation.

I think that transsexuals can become very well adjusted in their chosen sex, and we have see it on screen and in media. But this is a stretch. A man who becomes a woman, then a lesbian?