Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don
I did read the LOTR books and also the Hobbit. In the case of the Hobbit, they actually overdid the movie IMO. The Hobbit is a side story and the movies are trying to make it into an epic like LOTR when it was not written that way. Do you like the way they stretched it out for the movies?

Yes, I do like the way Jackson blended the stories. And I can "live with" the adding in of stuff like Legolas and his girlfriend.

All of the storyline (except for the girl elf in Mirkwood) is from Tolkien with some "ad libbing"

While Legolas is not in the Hobbit, one can assume that as King Thranduil's son, he was present when Thranduil received the dwarves and Bilbo and again when Thranduil marched to Erebor for battle.

Azog the white Orc was not in Hobbit. He is another character from another "time" in Middle Earth's "history". Also, the company was not pursued by any orcs until they ran out of the Misty Mtn orcs lair. I was abit upset we didn't get the "15 birds in 5 fir trees" orc song, but oh well.

All of the stuff with Galadriel and Saruman, Radagast, The Necromancer and Dol Guldur are from Tolkien. It is a story that takes place parallel to the dwarves quest. Attendance by Gandalf at the White Council explains why he was sometimes not present with the dwarves and Bilbo. The council-like in the movie-was discussing Radagast and others reports of an evil in Green wood the Great/Mirkwood-the south of Thranduil's Kingdom / the east of Galadriel's and Celeborn's Kingdom.

While this is not in the text of Hobbit it is in the appendices of LOTRs.

Now, Jackson's choice to include the appendice story and to implant Legolas and his "girlfriend" into the movie is part "let's get more crowd in to see familiar faces" and pulling off the telling of a whole other Tolkien 'mini work' without getting the production of another separate film. It is just like Frodo was not in Hobbit either, but his implantantion into the film is for the same reasons.

There is a lot of other Tolkien stuff out there that all precedes Hobbit-plus 'filler' stories written by him in his notes and published by his son in books like LOST TALES and UNFINISHED TALES,etc.

The rights for all of that material as well as The Silmarillion has not been sold by the Tolkien heirs. I read they want a lot more money then they have been offered by Jackson and the like.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
More about the Wachowskis/JMS project, it's called Sense8:

http://screenrant.com/wachowski-sense8-plot-details-netflix/

Excerpt:

According to TVLine, the show will be centered on eight people (hence the name Sense8) who are all connected by a shared and violent vision. The lucky (most likely un-lucky) eight are complete strangers spread across the globe and are being drawn to one of two entities: one that is attempting to bring all eight together, and another that is trying to destroy them.

The characters include:

“…a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,” and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since ‘The X-Files’ Cigarette-Smoking Man).”

For sci-fi fans, any news about an upcoming Wachowski project is good news considering the siblings’ past projects. Hopefully, Sense8 is no exception. The Wachowskis are good at establishing solid thematic elements to their stories that reveal concerns for the human condition. Originally, they mentioned that inspiration for the show came from “a late night conversation about the way technology simultaneously unites and divides us.”

Seems kinda ridiculous and not really sci-fi ish. Personally think the Wachowskis are a one hit wonder, The Matrix being the one hit. Everything else has been kinda crappy, style over content. This seems of a similar vein and more comic book heros type of story. But maybe it can be redeemed by JMS who's no stranger to writing comics.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Since Sense 8 is a show, as opposed to a movie, that instantly gives me pause. These types of ensemble shows with so much backstory for each character tend to drag on and on and on with little or no satisfying resolution. Now if they announced that it was a finite run and would have a definite end date for the story then I'd be more optimistic.

And that's the problem I have with TV and movie fiction these days -- the shit never ends. As a society we have to grasp the fact that more isn't better, in fact, it's usually bad. There are countless examples of what I mean ranging from our own beloved SGU to Lost to the Alien series of movies, etc. etc. etc. We need to learn to let the shit end. Hell, even the creator of Downton Abbey has announced that the show is going to end after the fifth season (next season). And that show is riding high in the ratings on both sides of the pond. So at least someone in the industry gets it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
More about the Wachowskis/JMS project, it's called Sense8:

http://screenrant.com/wachowski-sense8-plot-details-netflix/

Excerpt:

According to TVLine, the show will be centered on eight people (hence the name Sense8) who are all connected by a shared and violent vision. The lucky (most likely un-lucky) eight are complete strangers spread across the globe and are being drawn to one of two entities: one that is attempting to bring all eight together, and another that is trying to destroy them.

The characters include:

“…a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,” and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since ‘The X-Files’ Cigarette-Smoking Man).”

For sci-fi fans, any news about an upcoming Wachowski project is good news considering the siblings’ past projects. Hopefully, Sense8 is no exception. The Wachowskis are good at establishing solid thematic elements to their stories that reveal concerns for the human condition. Originally, they mentioned that inspiration for the show came from “a late night conversation about the way technology simultaneously unites and divides us.”

Seems kinda ridiculous and not really sci-fi ish. Personally think the Wachowskis are a one hit wonder, The Matrix being the one hit. Everything else has been kinda crappy, style over content. This seems of a similar vein and more comic book heros type of story. But maybe it can be redeemed by JMS who's no stranger to writing comics.

Sounds like LOST

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
“…a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?).​

Wow. That looks more like an attempt at being as politically correct as possible rather than showing cultural variety.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's laughably stupid. Just decide what the setting is and make your Scooby gang people you would normally meet in that setting.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Trailer looks more interesting than I thought:

yeah,but I didn't really sense anything actually "sci-fi" going on--just some paranormal/psychological fiction used as a cover for sex...

but thats just me...

don't get me wrong-I really DO want it to be sci-fi

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
yeah,but I didn't really sense anything actually "sci-fi" going on--just some paranormal/psychological fiction used as a cover for sex...

but thats just me...

don't get me wrong-I really DO want it to be sci-fi
I know what you mean but I'm gonna give it a go cause of JMS, giving him the benefit of the doubt. For me it's JMS (+1), Netflix (+1), Modern day lo-sci-fi (-1). Were you able to recognize our beloved Lt. (or whatever rank he was) from SGU?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I know what you mean but I'm gonna give it a go cause of JMS, giving him the benefit of the doubt. For me it's JMS (+1), Netflix (+1), Modern day lo-sci-fi (-1). Were you able to recognize our beloved Lt. (or whatever rank he was) from SGU?

Yup--saw him,as well as some LOST and CLOUD ATLAS holdovers

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just watched Jupiter Ascending. This was a Wachowski gig, but I thought it was complete dreck. It was so stunningly bad that I was forced to re-evaluate my opinion of the Wachowski duo.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I haven't read the whole thread, but enough to know several things other than Sense8 have been mentioned.

The Matrix was ground-breaking, and still holds up today. I have no interest in ever watching the sequels again. I like Cloud Atlas, and have watched it at least three times, but I've only seen The Fountain once, didn't like it much. Maybe one of these days I'll try again. I waited for Jupiter Ascending to come to the discount theater, where tickets are only 50¢ on Tuesdays. Even that was too much.

I have watched the first two episodes of Sense8, and it's okay, interesting enough to continue for now. The strongest points are the production values and the editing. Too soon to tell about several of the actors though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't read the whole thread, but enough to know several things other than Sense8 have been mentioned.

The Matrix was ground-breaking, and still holds up today. I have no interest in ever watching the sequels again. I like Cloud Atlas, and have watched it at least three times, but I've only seen The Fountain once, didn't like it much. Maybe one of these days I'll try again. I waited for Jupiter Ascending to come to the discount theater, where tickets are only 50¢ on Tuesdays. Even that was too much

I have watched the first two episodes of Sense8, and it's okay, interesting enough to continue for now. The strongest points are the production values and the editing. Too soon to tell about several of the actors though.

I have not watched Sense8 yet. I loved the Matrix trilogy (yep, all three films) only because I see it as a single story. I think that Matrix II and III were unnecessarily stretched out, and that there were some unanswered questions, but I understand they are going to make yet another Matrix trilogy. :) I liked Cloud Atlas too. But the central premise is still a bit vague to me. Jupiter Ascending had the most expensive and most elaborate special effects, but they could not help the movie. The acting was mediocre, and the story...what was the story? I mean...was there a solid core story to follow? Not really. The lame "earth as farm" thing did not wash for me. And the spaceships made up of separate pieces flying with the main hull made no sense whatsoever. WTF?

This thing got one star at Rotten Tomatoes (25% fresh) and the critics are destroying it. It is getting torn apart worse than any recent movie I can remember of the past 5 years. The critics HATE this flick.

http://www.thewrap.com/jupiter-asce...nock-the-sci-fi-movie-out-of-audiences-orbit/

BTW, the critics and viewers alike are MISTAKENLY classifying this film as science fiction. This thing is 100% fantasy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember, this is the film I said people were comparing unfavorably to Battlefield Earth - which is one of the worst movies ever made.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

The Matrix was ground-breaking, and still holds up today. I have no interest in ever watching the sequels again. I like Cloud Atlas, and have watched it at least three times, but I've only seen The Fountain once, didn't like it much. Maybe one of these days I'll try again. I waited for Jupiter Ascending to come to the discount theater, where tickets are only 50¢ on Tuesdays. Even that was too much.

Yep, plot is getting interesting enough for me to continue. It's weird but I'm kind of starting to like Brian J. Smith's character. Blasphemous I know. This will seem random but context might will make it funny if you've watched the episode:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yep, plot is getting interesting enough for me to continue. It's weird but I'm kind of starting to like Brian J. Smith's character. Blasphemous I know. This will seem random but context might will make it funny if you've watched the episode:

i am watching it as well

dont see the "Sci fi" unless one considers brain chemistry science,etc and go with the fiction there....

but anyhow, I think its good

I read some reviews from amateurs and professional critics--they all seem like haters of netflix in general BTW--who seem to not like sense8 because they don't get it ( i bet they never got LOST or CLOUD ATLAS either)

They say things like "the show takes too many episodes to spell things out; what is a sensate, what is the true connections?, how does it works?" etc

well, dummies, its NETFLIX its made to "binge" watch when everything stays fresh in your mind, not a week to week plodding thing

--------------------------------
I think most of the acting is good--the Indians test my patience though-especially with that Bollywood dance number

I really like the whole 2 gay mexican guys and a hot young woman thing too--hilarious

Bae Doo Na is as always-low key and great delivery and can be comedic as well when one is not expecting it (she started as a comedic actor in Korean movies--she got her US "break" with CLOUD ATLAS as other korean actresses who tried out did not look authentic due to their intense plastic surgery--Bae has never had any done)

Like the Kenyans too

and yes Smith is a good example of just how badly one can be perceived when they are in a turd like SGU and that is their resume--glad he got another chance

----------------------------

I am guessing that between the sensate connections will will see other real world connections as well; stolen diamonds from Mumbai India--bad drugs in Kenya from Indian companies.....

I like the show! and dammit, if NF's MARCO POLO can get a second season, then this should get at least 3 more!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just watched Jupiter Ascending. This was a Wachowski gig, but I thought it was complete dreck. It was so stunningly bad that I was forced to re-evaluate my opinion of the Wachowski duo.

is it worth watching if I only FF to the sfx scenes? the trailer shows some awesome looking shots...