Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought a second season had already been announced, but maybe I'm wrong.

I sure hope so...Im totally hooked!

The millenials love this thing. :) I listened to a bunch of them at Chipoltle locally, and they were talking about astral travel, channeling and "transendental connectiveness" in the conversation. Like me, most of them were saying this show was "something new" and they were talking about the finale. They seemed particularly tickled that Riley's dad (the coolest "old guy" evah) was playing his classical concerto with the full orchestra live while on ecstasy (the drug). For those who have tried "X", you can understand why this seemed cool. It is like portraying Michelangelo smoking a joint just before starting his work on the Sistine Chapel.

We will not get standard ratings on this show because Netflix productions are outside of the Nielsen bubble. Netflix is not giving up the numbers on any of their shows yet. And they do not need to because they do not need or want their shows to appeal to advertising dollars. How's that? Netflix can produce shows because they are art and not because they will draw in the advertising dollars you say? That is a GREAT thing. Even movies still have to be sold to advertisers and promotional campaigns.

Brian J Smith's character has to be kept unconscious to prevent Whispers from finding the other sensates. This is where we left off, and Im salivating for season 2. Lets see how long it takes for them to make season 2. Will they take forever to come back like they do on cable channels? How will we be able to know how popular the show is without ratings metrics to look at? How does Netflix decide what is going to continue and what will not continue?

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I loved that scene. :) There was also that massive orgy scene...what was that about? EVERYBODY was in on the act....except the African guy who was left with an unsatisfied woodie and blue balls. LOL!

I liked the spaniards/mexicans the best of all- Lito character is nearly continuously funny-don't know if it on purpose or not. Like when his BF left him and we see him on his deck in misery. In one scene we see him "in between" --like he was trying to decide what the hell to do with his time since the guy left

we see him ready to swim, with one foot in a sock and the other in a sandal, bottle of tequila in hand...

-----------
The orgy included only 4 of the Sensates

Sun, Kala, Capheus and Riley were not included--perhaps for 'considerations/public response in their home countries?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked the spaniards/mexicans the best of all- Lito character is nearly continuously funny-don't know if it on purpose or not. Like when his BF left him and we see him on his deck in misery. In one scene we see him "in between" --like he was trying to decide what the hell to do with his time since the guy left

we see him ready to swim, with one foot in a sock and the other in a sandal, bottle of tequila in hand...

-----------
The orgy included only 4 of the Sensates

Sun, Kala, Capheus and Riley were not included--perhaps for 'considerations/public response in their home countries?

Lito was/is EXTREMELY funny. I was busting up on that scene when he was heartbroken on the roof and he put the gun in his mouth and it was only a lighter. :) He has a great sense of humor.

The orgy was Will (the cop), Nomi, Wolfgang, and Lito. It was interesting because Will and Wolfgang are both playing straight male characters but they all had hot sex together with Lito and Nomi. I liked the part where Will (Brian J Smith's character) said to Lito when he first saw him that he looked familiar and then Lito said..."Yes, we had sex". LMAO! But the scene was hot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the show has an 8.4 out of 10 "public"/ user rating on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431438/

and a generally fav status at rotten tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sense8/s01/

I imagine there are other rating sites (and not rant sites-- A LOT of ppl hate this show) with similar ranks

I read some rants about the show, but most of them talk about the premiere and the first three episodes which are muddy and confusing and hard to watch. That is three hours of visual oatmeal. But then suddenly in episode 4 it all turns to ice cream. :). This one you have to stick it out until episode 3 before you start really liking it. But you cant really avoid that by skipping those three episodes, without losing important elements of the story. Im glad I stuck around. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I read some rants about the show, but most of them talk about the premiere and the first three episodes which are muddy and confusing and hard to watch. That is three hours of visual oatmeal. But then suddenly in episode 4 it all turns to ice cream. :). This one you have to stick it out until episode 3 before you start really liking it. But you cant really avoid that by skipping those three episodes, without losing important elements of the story. Im glad I stuck around. :)

Yes, another issue is that ppl need to start seeing things differently--they continue to approach NF and AMAZON originals and other "web content" entertainment in the same way the approach standard TV and the way they have/had delivered shows for so long; 'spell' it all out in one episode then go straight to the episodic formula where there is no 'string' of events that connect ep to ep

PPl have an issue with that also--they have been 'tv trained' in the stand alone episode-where there is little to no continuity of storyline, no over arching plot that unites every ep into a long story

of course that is changing, even shows like LAW and Order SVU-an old modellled standard of the episodic drama has incorporated the story arc into their series

another issue tied to both of these is that americans "want it fast and now". satisfy them quick and often or one risks the issue of getting bad reviews and buzz

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, another issue is that ppl need to start seeing things differently--they continue to approach NF and AMAZON originals and other "web content" entertainment in the same way the approach standard TV and the way they have/had delivered shows for so long; 'spell' it all out in one episode then go straight to the episodic formula where there is no 'string' of events that connect ep to ep

This is very true. I am starting to wonder if Game of Thrones was like this? I stopped being interested when I saw the King behead the guy in the first episode in front of his son, then justify it to him with a lame explanation about how things should be this way. I could not get past the whole romanticizing of the conquests and royalty stuff. But people here were saying it was good. Was it? How many episodes does it take to change?

PPl have an issue with that also--they have been 'tv trained' in the stand alone episode-where there is little to no continuity of storyline, no over arching plot that unites every ep into a long story

Yep, Sense8 is most definitely a serialized show. Every episode advances the story, and none of the episodes stands alone.

of course that is changing, even shows like LAW and Order SVU-an old modellled standard of the episodic drama has incorporated the story arc into their series

That is true. Episodic TV can still work for some shows, if they are written that way. TV and cable and even the movies in theaters still have to appeal to advertisers, promoters, merchandisers, etc. Amazon will never be able to compete because at Amazon, streaming video is just something they tacked on to their primary business which is being a retailer. And they have no business trying to create original content at this point IMO.

another issue tied to both of these is that americans "want it fast and now". satisfy them quick and often or one risks the issue of getting bad reviews and buzz

Agreed. I wanted that as well, but not because of impatience, because I was "TV trained" like you said.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sex is never gratuitous for the people engaging in it. It's a part of life, not as large a part in everyone's life, but still. I felt the scenes between Nomi and Amanita and Lito and Hernando were tastefully done. Even the scene where several of the sensates were experiencing it together was highly erotic but not salacious or gratuitous.

I liked it a lot, that is up to the final episode. That was too rushed, and didn't resolve some issues like I had hoped. Whose side was Jonas really on? How can Riley and Will ever be safe if to do so means continually keeping him unconscious? The abrupt dissolve from Riley on the mountain to her and Will on the boat was weird. How did they avoid Whispers? Just because he couldn't "see" Will wouldn't keep him from setting up roadblocks.

I know it will be a while before any details of a second season will be revealed, and normally I try to avoid spoilers, but I have to wonder if it will revolve around another set of characters or if the eight we already know will be back.

I want to know more about Whispers. Is he a sensate, or does he have a different sort of power? WHY is he trying to get at the other sensates in the cluster? Who does he work for and what is his goal? Also, I want to say I thought the abrupt dissolve from Riley on the mountain to her and Will on the boat with her friend was to give us a sense of what Whispers could not see. I could be wrong though. :)

I am wondering why they keep Darryl Hannah's character in the shadows? We know why she killed herself, but why does she continue to appear in the show? Will the Will character have to kill himself as well?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is very true. I am starting to wonder if Game of Thrones was like this? I stopped being interested when I saw the King behead the guy in the first episode in front of his son, then justify it to him with a lame explanation about how things should be this way. I could not get past the whole romanticizing of the conquests and royalty stuff. But people here were saying it was good. Was it? How many episodes does it take to change?

the beheader you saw in GoT was Ned Stark. He was the top feudal lord in that part of the land. the man we saw him beheading was a deserter from the 'Night's Watch' which guards a huge wall that defends the civilised lands from the northern "barbarians" (both human and 'paranormal')

and yes, GoT's is a serialized show. nearly every ep has the same characters and we see each sub story being advanced each week

but sometimes you do not see a character for quite awhile-one and his band were not in any ep's this last season

I am no Martin fan-never heard of the books before the show, and personally I think the guy is just a Tolkien copy (even his name-"G.R.R. Martin--are we really supposed to believe that his his initials from his given name? so obvious a personal lift from Tolkien's "J.R.R")-but the show isn't bad, it can get a bit "draggy" and I really wish each ep would be longer (but no, they go with the 42 to 50 min ep for standard tv format-time for commercials if a regular channel ever picks it up?) and that there would be more then 10 ep's per season

It is a little heavy with the sex and violence-though it has toned down a bit-but the writing and acting are pretty good, and the SFX with the dragons are pretty nice too

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Martin has been around a long time. His first story was published in 1971, and his first novel in '77. His birth name is George Raymond Martin, and he took Richard as his confirmation name when he was 13.

He originally wrote more science fiction, now almost exclusively fantasy. One of his short stories, "Sandkings," was adapted as the pilot episode of the revamped Outer Limits. He also worked on the 80s revival of Twilight Zone. I never got into the Game of Thrones books, but I love his vampire novel Fevre Dream. Would love to see someone film that. As for the HBO show, I have watched it all, but like several other shows I keep thinking I will stop. This season might be where that happens. There are just too many characters, many of which I've stopped caring about, and the rest have been killed off. I suspect the end of the series will only consist of the White Walkers.

In just twelve episodes, I think Sense8 has established itself as a much better show, although I doubt many would agree.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Martin has been around a long time. His first story was published in 1971, and his first novel in '77. His birth name is George Raymond Martin, and he took Richard as his confirmation name when he was 13.

He originally wrote more science fiction, now almost exclusively fantasy. One of his short stories, "Sandkings," was adapted as the pilot episode of the revamped Outer Limits. He also worked on the 80s revival of Twilight Zone. I never got into the Game of Thrones books, but I love his vampire novel Fevre Dream. Would love to see someone film that. As for the HBO show, I have watched it all, but like several other shows I keep thinking I will stop. This season might be where that happens. There are just too many characters, many of which I've stopped caring about, and the rest have been killed off. I suspect the end of the series will only consist of the White Walkers.

In just twelve episodes, I think Sense8 has established itself as a much better show, although I doubt many would agree.

allowing anyone to use a "confirmation name" or any other name that has only religious significance is wrong. In no way should anyone be allowed to incorporate a confirmation name into their legal name or for purposes of publishing or any thing else with legal implications

I know the guy is a good writer in his own right, but I can see as a young man starting out, he probably saw the op to use his confirmation name as a convenient way to attract attention to his works through a type of name recognition (a heuristic of sorts) with Tolkien's.

-----------------------------

yES sense8 is definitely a show with a smallish audience that clearly loves it--this may be its demise as it does not have broad appeal (you know--the idiots and watch- in- betweeners, the tune-outers and the ppl with short attn spans)

guess it all depends on how NF measures success

they greenlit MARCO POLO for another season, and it was not a well liked show either

ecgordon

Star's Hero
allowing anyone to use a "confirmation name" or any other name that has only religious significance is wrong. In no way should anyone be allowed to incorporate a confirmation name into their legal name or for purposes of publishing or any thing else with legal implications
With that sort of logic it would be wrong for anyone to use a pseudonym, or have a username on a message board other than their real name. Does it really matter why he did it, even if you think his reasons were deceptive. He doesn't need your permission to call himself anything he wants.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
With that sort of logic it would be wrong for anyone to use a pseudonym, or have a username on a message board other than their real name. Does it really matter why he did it, even if you think his reasons were deceptive. He doesn't need your permission to call himself anything he wants.

of course he doesn't need my permission, it would be insane of me to ever say or imply that

just saying it just seems all too convenient and disingenuous of him to build a 'sight gag' of a name (based on the combo of a birth name and religious monikers--I mean can you tell me of anyone else who goes by their confirmation name or uses it in any manner?) that would be of a benefit to him on the bookshelves--especially for those of his books that are of the same genre and would be in the same racks/area of a bookstore as Tolkien's

I mean what would ppl say if someone published as "Steven King" or "George Lukas", "Isak Asimov" or "Ann Rice"--I don't think ppl would give them a pass and would call them on it

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I mean can you tell me of anyone else who goes by their confirmation name or uses it in any manner?
I have no idea, not familiar with the practice in the Catholic faith. As far as I know Ronald might have been Tolkien's confirmation name. Does it matter? Why should it?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I think yong was speaking in a legal context. Signing up on a forum with the name "EatMyShorts" isn't quite the same as filling in "EatMyShorts" as a name on your tax form or a credit application.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I think yong was speaking in a legal context. Signing up on a forum with the name "EatMyShorts" isn't quite the same as filling in "EatMyShorts" as a name on your tax form or a credit application.
I nominate that Bluce Ree have his user name be changed to EatMyShorts.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Anyone watching this? I have done first ep and it was so slow but I read it gets much better and I have whole season. I guess I will dig in and see how it goes.