NuBSG on BBCA

G

Graybrew1

Oh you mean on New Caprica? Because of the way you worded your post I thought you had meant during The Farm ep:icon_razz:

No Probs.
Sinus Problems have my head foggy the last couple of days. I worded it funky. Sorry.

G

Graybrew1

Okay next two eps were on tonight.

Pegasus started off great, but I am still peeved that they make them "baddies" and not just let them join the group.
Admiral Caine should have just been a Captain and it would have been better to have them compete as equals.

Besides that, The president should have just promoted Adama to Admiral instantly. Then it would have been a moot point.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay next two eps were on tonight.

Pegasus started off great, but I am still peeved that they make them "baddies" and not just let them join the group.
Admiral Caine should have just been a Captain and it would have been better to have them compete as equals.

Besides that, The president should have just promoted Adama to Admiral instantly. Then it would have been a moot point.

Yup, TPTB kind of didn't follow thru with the "i am the president, and you'll do what I say" line from the mini-series. Maybe it was suppossed to show her taken aback a bit after the whole mutiny and Kobol thing with her being locked up by Tighe. Every time I see that when the Peg crew come off the Raptor, i think "why doesn't Roslin (or VP Baltar) shut up Cain and her people?

But you know, this follows, more or less, the Pegasus arc from the Oroginal show. Though things happened differently, it still shows RDM's desire to follow the 'skeleton' of the original. In that one, if I remember, Cain wanted to take over the fleet and lead a charge against the cylons. The whole thing of "Admiral Cain is not insane" being said by a crazy Cain comes to memory as well. Can't remember if he actually said it though:)

With them being 'baddies' they are in many ways, just being closer to military procedure. They didn't have to adjust their SOP's and such to allow for the civilian fleet or the presence of the government
and
GALACTICA was being 'mothballed' remember? Chances are most of their "Razors" and hard core people were transferred off of Galactica before it was re-fitted as a museum. It was left home to screw-ups like Tigh and Starbuck, Boomer (who had massive issues learning to fly) and others with 'imperfections (in a military sense) like Adama--with all of his time in rank and service. He would be what many in the military would call a "dud". PEGASUS on the other hand was a combat ready, balls to the wall, no-crap, go to war vessel. As such the crew and officers would have been less likely to take on a civilian fleet;Cain probably would of had Roslin killed a long time ago as well.

The ep where chief built the "LAURA" shows us that the GALACTICA's crew are more human in the thoughts and actions. They have the 'knack' to think out of the box and just not do everything by military SOP. The PEGASUS crew would probably never of taken the time to even conceive of a stealth ship as it was not 'procedure'.

It is after these two eps that you will want to watch the 'movie' RAZOR. It is where it 'fits in'. Don't know if BBC-A is planning on including it or not. TYhey should, it is 'important' to the entire story arc of the series.

G

Graybrew1

Oh, great info thanks.

But Pegasus sacrificed civilains lives and raped the female cylons. They were not the highest in morality IMO.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh, great info thanks.

But Pegasus sacrificed civilains lives and raped the female cylons. They were not the highest in morality IMO.

When/If you watch RAZOR you will get a better look into "who" Admiral Cain is and why she is the way she is now--and it is pretty good.

With the prisoner--And I will leave it to you to watch RAZOR because it is the only way to find out "who" the prisoner "is"--the selected crew were ordered to treat it as just an enemy weapons system. So they do to it like "real life" soldiers may treat captured enemy equipment (not the human prisoners). Like in Iraq. We went around and spray painted, defaced-Iraqi equipment, billboards and other pictures of Saddam, dumped garbage and un-needed concertina wire all over their desert (funny-guys who went there in 2003 said that the stuff we left lying the desert in '91 was still there)--All another way to show disrespect for an enemy.

But again, you need to watch RAZOR to understand:)

G

Graybrew1

When/If you watch RAZOR you will get a better look into "who" Admiral Cain is and why she is the way she is now--and it is pretty good.

With the prisoner--And I will leave it to you to watch RAZOR because it is the only way to find out "who" the prisoner "is"--the selected crew were ordered to treat it as just an enemy weapons system. So they do to it like "real life" soldiers may treat captured enemy equipment (not the human prisoners). Like in Iraq. We went around and spray painted, defaced-Iraqi equipment, billboards and other pictures of Saddam, dumped garbage and un-needed concertina wire all over their desert (funny-guys who went there in 2003 said that the stuff we left lying the desert in '91 was still there)--All another way to show disrespect for an enemy.

Okay, that sounds good, I will look for Razor.
I don't know if BBCA is planning on showing it or not.

I will there. I shall make sure two watch it before the next two eps, correct?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, that sounds good, I will look for Razor.
I don't know if BBCA is planning on showing it or not.

I will there. I shall make sure two watch it before the next two eps, correct?

Well Syfy never aired it that way...they showed RAZOR like in between seasons or something (I think that was just another small reason that got some ppl upset) so a lot of people did not see it and therefor say "it doesn't count" but it is definitely a part of the arc and canon off the series--BUT to answer your question, you do not have to watch it before the New Caprica stuff, it just makes sense to watch it then.

G

Graybrew1

Well Syfy never aired it that way...they showed RAZOR like in between seasons or something (I think that was just another small reason that got some ppl upset) so a lot of people did not see it and therefor say "it doesn't count" but it is definitely a part of the arc and canon off the series--BUT to answer your question, you do not have to watch it before the New Caprica stuff, it just makes sense to watch it then.

I will take your word for it, I trust you. ;) You are the BSG expert.

I will find it and watch it before the next two. I have actually never seen "Razor" I missed it on the first go around.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will take your word for it, I trust you. ;) You are the BSG expert.

I will find it and watch it before the next two. I have actually never seen "Razor" I missed it on the first go around.

Oh yeah--having watched it will give you a "head start" on blood and chrome also-if only in a small way...speaking of which-have you seen any SYfy trailers/comm's for it yet? I almost never watch Syfy now so I wouldn't know (if they hype it like SGU it would have like 2 minute teaser commercials on by now):tealc-gun02:

G

Graybrew1

Oh yeah--having watched it will give you a "head start" on blood and chrome also-if only in a small way...speaking of which-have you seen any SYfy trailers/comm's for it yet? I almost never watch Syfy now so I wouldn't know (if they hype it like SGU it would have like 2 minute teaser commercials on by now):tealc-gun02:

Not one, and yes I do watch Syfy for Haven, Eureka and WH13. I thought I heard that B&C was going to be only online? Was that just a rumor?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well this is what i just found. all that in their story and then the very last line pretty much sums it up to a story about 'nothing' really. maybe this is the syfy execs way of teasing everyone-who knows. one way or the other though, it appears we will view it sometime:

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8693

G

Graybrew1

well this is what i just found. all that in their story and then the very last line pretty much sums it up to a story about 'nothing' really. maybe this is the syfy execs way of teasing everyone-who knows. one way or the other though, it appears we will view it sometime:

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8693

Yes, I had heard that, I posted my "discotent" about Syfy yet again. There is no excuse for them not to put B&C on Syfy. Too Bad BBCA can't just pick it up.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I liked RAZOR, don't get me wrong, but it always bugs me when a show expects viewers to do leg work in terms of getting answers. Now this particular story line straddles the line in that regard, I mean, you can watch BSG and understand what's going on with Pegasus without seeing RAZOR but it would make things more clear and the character's motivations more understandable if they had simply included this side of the story into the main show. Yes, yes, I'm being picky, but let's face it, they obviously filmed enough footage of that side of the story to make a separate movie out of it. I tend to wonder if that was intentional or not.

All in all I can live with it but my preference is that they incorporate everything into the main story. "Kinosodes" and crap like that should not be a way to disseminate information about the story. That kind of thing works against the average viewer who isn't going to spend time hunting down some extra footage on a website.

Okay, my mini-rant has run out of ammo. Now can someone help me down off this soap box? (and Stoneless, stop looking up my dress!)

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
If you are still pre New Caprica then you haven't hit the cliff yet. There are decent episodes in the second half of S2 (Scar, The Captain's Hand). Not so much in S3 or S4.

You liked "Scar"?? I thought that was one of the most annoying episodes of the whole show - except for Black Market. I had to struggle through it. During rewatches, I occasionally skip that one...

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
Actually, I don't think they had shot extra footage of it at the time. They went back and wrote and shot Razor later - closer to when it aired. The Syfy store or something had asked them to do a stand-alone movie type thing, and that's when they did Razor...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Scar is a good standalone episode. It fills in a lot of blanks about why Kat and Starbuck are so antagonistic while still delivering a good military story. Plus the reason why they are there is good for plot integrity (to mine metal to do things like build vipers using Pegasus automated workshops).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
BTW, I know military personnel and the reaction to the episode Pegasus was one of being offended at the completely off base portrayal of military personnel seen on Pegasus. This episode is generally considered the one where the military aspects of the show really started to get unhooked from any reality basis. Commanders don't shoot fellow officers for refusing to follow imroper orders, the whole way they handled the civilian fleet would have gotten Cain relieved of command and the raping of PoWs is a major offense under the UCMJ. Razor made it worse actually because we learn that Cain is being such a martinet because she is a spurned lover (at least before one could imagine she lost it because of the stress or something).

However the core thing is actually similar ot a problem SGU had - the Cain shown here would never have made it through the screening and psych evaluation processes any military (and especially an advanced spacefaring one like the Colonial Fleet) put in place for officer qualification. It's similar to how none of the SGU military characters would have ever gotten officer's rank (to say nothing of being admitted to the Stargate program).

G

Graybrew1

BTW, I know military personnel and the reaction to the episode Pegasus was one of being offended at the completely off base portrayal of military personnel seen on Pegasus. This episode is generally considered the one where the military aspects of the show really started to get unhooked from any reality basis. Commanders don't shoot fellow officers for refusing to follow imroper orders, the whole way they handled the civilian fleet would have gotten Cain relieved of command and the raping of PoWs is a major offense under the UCMJ. Razor made it worse actually because we learn that Cain is being such a martinet because she is a spurned lover (at least before one could imagine she lost it because of the stress or something).

However the core thing is actually similar ot a problem SGU had - the Cain shown here would never have made it through the screening and psych evaluation processes any military (and especially an advanced spacefaring one like the Colonial Fleet) put in place for officer qualification. It's similar to how none of the SGU military characters would have ever gotten officer's rank (to say nothing of being admitted to the Stargate program).

Yes, Yongjin is one of them, I wonder how he feels about that?