NuBSG on BBCA

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
Scar is a good standalone episode. It fills in a lot of blanks about why Kat and Starbuck are so antagonistic while still delivering a good military story. Plus the reason why they are there is good for plot integrity (to mine metal to do things like build vipers using Pegasus automated workshops).

I guess to each his own. I guess the reasons why you liked it were the same reasons I didn't... Did care much for most of the stand-alone episodes. Really didn't care much for the military stuff and that episode seemed dedicated to military stuff. I just couldn't understand the rivalry between Kara & Kat; I guess I would have to be more militaristic in order to really get it...

Oh well...

G

Graybrew1

I guess to each his own. I guess the reasons why you liked it were the same reasons I didn't... Did care much for most of the stand-alone episodes. Really didn't care much for the military stuff and that episode seemed dedicated to military stuff. I just couldn't understand the rivalry between Kara & Kat; I guess I would have to be more militaristic in order to really get it...

Oh well...

I decided to rewatch the entire series to go back into it with an open mind. There are good parts and bad parts but overall, I still find the show very entertaining. :)

I proposed a theory in my head. Please tell me as a fellow female scifi fan what you think. I think that male scifi fans are too busy staring at the trees to see the forest. By which I mean, they tend to be the purists in canon, much more than the female fans. They pick apart every little minute detail to find plot holes and women tend to pay more attention to character developement and overall entertainment factor of the show.

I know I might get my head chewed off for this, but it is just a theory of mine. I have noticed this in this show as well as SG and ST.

Please note, I am sure there are exceptions to this on both sides as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Oh well...

That's the thing. If you try to take the military aspect out then yes Kara and Kat's antagonism makes no sense. Put it back in and it makes perfect sense. Kat came on in Season 1 as a nugget and learned everything ground up. She's more by the book than Starbuck and also very driven (which is how she got hooked on Stims - she won't let herself not perform). Starbuck is much less by the book and also has patently self destructive traits - put those together and Kat really doesn't think Starbuck is qualified to command.

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
I decided to rewatch the entire series to go back into it with an open mind. There are good parts and bad parts but overall, I still find the show very entertaining. :)

I proposed a theory in my head. Please tell me as a fellow female scifi fan what you think. I think that male scifi fans are too busy staring at the trees to see the forest. By which I mean, they tend to be the purists in canon, much more than the female fans. They pick apart every little minute detail to find plot holes and women tend to pay more attention to character developement and overall entertainment factor of the show.

I know I might get my head chewed off for this, but it is just a theory of mine. I have noticed this in this show as well as SG and ST.

Please note, I am sure there are exceptions to this on both sides as well.

You know, I think you're right, Greybrew! Hadn't really thought of it before, but that is typically the case! I know there are certain exceptions in both gender, but I think as a generalization, that is the crux of the matter! I also have noticed such things - especially, it seems, in the BSG thread on Syfy.

Though, come to think of it, it may go beyond male/female but rather be more left brain/right brain. The more analytical a person is, the more they tend to focus on those things; whereas the more abstract a person is, the more they tend to focus on the big picture and the message behind it. Again, this is probably just a rough generalization...

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
That's the thing. If you try to take the military aspect out then yes Kara and Kat's antagonism makes no sense. Put it back in and it makes perfect sense. Kat came on in Season 1 as a nugget and learned everything ground up. She's more by the book than Starbuck and also very driven (which is how she got hooked on Stims - she won't let herself not perform). Starbuck is much less by the book and also has patently self destructive traits - put those together and Kat really doesn't think Starbuck is qualified to command.

Yep, guess that's why I don't get it. I just can't comprehend a lot of the military subculture... It doesn't make sense to my brain. But, I can definitely see how someone who does enjoy military stuff would really enjoy the episode now...

Yeah, the military aspects of BSG were just addendums to me; I focused more on the main story arcs, which I really enjoyed... Different things appeal to different people, I guess...

G

Graybrew1

You know, I think you're right, Greybrew! Hadn't really thought of it before, but that is typically the case! I know there are certain exceptions in both gender, but I think as a generalization, that is the crux of the matter! I also have noticed such things - especially, it seems, in the BSG thread on Syfy.Though, come to think of it, it may go beyond male/female but rather be more left brain/right brain. The more analytical a person is, the more they tend to focus on those things; whereas the more abstract a person is, the more they tend to focus on the big picture and the message behind it. Again, this is probably just a rough generalization...
I don't know. I am not really an abstact type of person. I just watch stuff as the big picture. In work, I break things down. Looking at the whole would seem to large a task at times,so things are looked piece by piece. In play, I like to sit back and enjoy the overall ride.

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
I don't know. I am not really an abstact type of person. I just watch stuff as the big picture. In work, I break things down. Looking at the whole would seem to large a task at times,so things are looked piece by piece. In play, I like to sit back and enjoy the overall ride.

Yeah, I'm not really a super abstract person either. Though I'm probably more right brained than some and not super analytical. I do tend to break things up in my day-to-day life though, as you mentioned. But, I do like to see the big/grand picture when I'm looking at my entertainment. Probably why I pretty much can't stand episodic television; if it's not serialized, it drives me somewhat crazy! Like books, long movies, etc. I won't even rate a TV show or something until I've completed the whole run, so that I can rate it as a whole after I've seen the entire picture...

Just the way I am... Sounds like you are too...

G

Graybrew1

Yeah, I'm not really a super abstract person either. Though I'm probably more right brained than some and not super analytical. I do tend to break things up in my day-to-day life though, as you mentioned. But, I do like to see the big/grand picture when I'm looking at my entertainment. Probably why I pretty much can't stand episodic television; if it's not serialized, it drives me somewhat crazy! Like books, long movies, etc. I won't even rate a TV show or something until I've completed the whole run, so that I can rate it as a whole after I've seen the entire picture...

Just the way I am... Sounds like you are too...

Yes, Indeed.

It does sound like we have that aspect of ourselves in common, that is quite cool, I must say.
It leads some credence to my theory. :cool:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I recommend some basic research into military things as a base for watching NuBSG. It gives a new perspective on a lot of the show - both the good and the bad. And this is because large segments of Seasons 1 and 2 belong to a subgenre called "military sci-fi". Interestingly, large sections of Stargate SG-1 are also military sci-fi.

For example, understanding of military things reveals why the large audience the show started out with amongst service personnel were upset with the Pegasus episode and its depiction of military personnel. That audience understood well that there is simply no way that a psychopath like Cain gets through the screening and testing to achieve any type of officer rank - much less flag rank.

Another example in the other direction is the appreciation service personnel have when the show depicts things like hangar deck operations (and get it reasonably right in a sci-fi context) or the planning behind an operation - and then showing the battle/operation unfolding according to the plan.

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
Graybrew: Your theory is definitely one I agree with, and I'm glad to lend credence to it...

Joelist: I have a basic understanding of some military aspects - mostly from watching military sci-fi stuff like BSG and Stargate - and even Star Trek. I just don't like it as much as some of the other stuff that gets depicted in such shows. But, I can definitely see why some people who do really get into that stuff would see the show(s) differently than I do (as a pacifist)...

G

Graybrew1

I know enough about it because I come from a military family.

The true expert is Yongjin as he is a Military man, so perhaps when he comes around he can give us his expert opinion. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know enough about it because I come from a military family.

The true expert is Yongjin as he is a Military man, so perhaps when he comes around he can give us his expert opinion. ;)

And your familial experience lets you see aspects of NuBSG (and SG-1) that aren't apparent to someone without that perspective. For example, when Adama tried to replace Lee as CAG when he went AWOL early in Season 2. The whole selection process as well as what it took for Adama to realize the kid he picked was not leadership material gains depth when viewed thru the prism of a military understanding of command and leadership.

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
Don't get me wrong, anybody. I have no problem with military people or military shows (obviously). I just sometimes have trouble understanding or identifying with certain things because it's so far removed from my worldview... That's all... And, I have a feeling, no matter how much I studied the facts, I still probably wouldn't get it, because I just don't have that gene...

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
And your familial experience lets you see aspects of NuBSG (and SG-1) that aren't apparent to someone without that perspective. For example, when Adama tried to replace Lee as CAG when he went AWOL early in Season 2. The whole selection process as well as what it took for Adama to realize the kid he picked was not leadership material gains depth when viewed thru the prism of a military understanding of command and leadership.

Definitely sure those would have different aspects if I had a background as such as well... But, I guess all we can do is look at things through our own lenses and our own experiences...

G

Graybrew1

Yes, but now bring back in the fact that I am looking at the forrest and not the trees and you can see how I overall enjoyed the show. I found some things exaggerated in all aspects of the show, as most shows do form time to time, but I still enjoyed the show.

G

Graybrew1

Definitely sure those would have different aspects if I had a background as such as well... But, I guess all we can do is look at things through our own lenses and our own experiences...

There is nothing wrong with that. Tv shows are made for the audience to watch and enjoy, there is no law that says you must agree with every part of a show to enjoy it.

ArwenOfTrek

GateFans Noob
There is nothing wrong with that. Tv shows are made for the audience to watch and enjoy, there is no law that says you must agree with every part of a show to enjoy it.

And, who knows, maybe I enjoyed it more without those military lenses... After all, I didn't hate Razor; actually kind-of liked it. And loved the show as a whole, especially the ending... So, evidently, my lenses allowed me to see different things... And enjoy different aspects... I wasn't disappointed that they had strayed from some of the military stuff, because I wasn't looking at it through those lenses to begin with...

Just a thought...

G

Graybrew1

And, who knows, maybe I enjoyed it more without those military lenses... After all, I didn't hate Razor; actually kind-of liked it. And loved the show as a whole, especially the ending... So, evidently, my lenses allowed me to see different things... And enjoy different aspects... I wasn't disappointed that they had strayed from some of the military stuff, because I wasn't looking at it through those lenses to begin with...

Just a thought...

And you see, I have not seen Razor yet, I have to do that tomorrow. :biggrin: I can't wait.