NASA project ARTEMIS and Marching to Mars

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Now just need microbes to breakdown the Perchlorate to usable nitrates for higher plant life other than mosses.

The biggest can of worms comes if they dig down and find some soil that has native microbes.

What kind of microbes would be needed? Is it something that could be grown in a specialized, set up environment once anyone gets there?

What would happen if Martian microbes were to be found-other then the "holy crap, we found life on Mars" type of happening?

Sometimes I wonder if any "special" minerals/resources have been found there that is being kept classified for "We found it first" purposes.

The place is so much alike Earth, there has got to be precious minerals out the wazoo out there. And hopefully more Rare Earth Minerals so we can keep in dumb smart phones for perpetuity.

B

Backstep

What kind of microbes would be needed? Is it something that could be grown in a specialized, set up environment once anyone gets there?

What would happen if Martian microbes were to be found-other then the "holy crap, we found life on Mars" type of happening?

Sometimes I wonder if any "special" minerals/resources have been found there that is being kept classified for "We found it first" purposes.

The place is so much alike Earth, there has got to be precious minerals out the wazoo out there. And hopefully more Rare Earth Minerals so we can keep in dumb smart phones for perpetuity.

What kind of microbes would be needed? Is it something that could be grown in a specialized, set up environment once anyone gets there

Lithotrophic Bacteria - Rock Eaters for starters
http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C11/...edu/microtextbook/metabolism/lithotrophs.html

I am talking about the other side of the holy crap we found life on Mars. Will the native microbes be, Hostile, neutral or beneficial to Earth life.

I agree precious minerals must abound on Mars. As far as I know, NASA hasn't sent probes or rovers to the places on Mars which are known places on Earth where precious minerals are formed or found.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sci-Fi got us into space, why not to other planets.

Have you seen the state of Sci-Fi today? It couldn't even get us to the corner liquor store, let alone into space. (This is a shame cuz I could really use a ride to the liquor store. :moody:)

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Have you seen the state of Sci-Fi today? It couldn't even get us to the corner liquor store, let alone into space. (This is a shame cuz I could really use a ride to the liquor store. :moody:)

Keep watching Defiance. It'll eventually get you to the corner liquor store.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Keep watching Defiance. It'll eventually get you to the corner liquor store.

Or more likely the crack house as one would have to be on the pipe to find DEFECATION interesting.

B

Backstep

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The whole wide world
An endless universe
Yet we keep looking through
The eyeglass in reverse
Don't feed the people
But we feed the machines
Can't really feel
What international means
In different circles
We keep holding our ground
Indifferent circles
We keep spinning round and round

"Territories" RUSH (naturally ;) )

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps this is a small example of things to come (what is inferred by the responses also) -that if flight of people to mars is ever possible and feasible, the rich will go there and leave the "toilet-less" and other "have nots" behind.

Of course, I never would think that going elsewhere will be a possibility for everyone, but it is the possible attitudes held by those who could go for those who can not go.